World Cup of Maidenfans 2.0: Opening Round 21

Which is the better artist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@mckindog:
And I admittedly haven't heard much Schenker. I did hear most songs you have posted in the past. I didn't dislike them but wasn't that thrilled either, although vaguely remember a very good one, but it could have been another artist. We've shared a lot in the past, e.g. the random song review thread.

The Time of the Oath was a solid song, with a great harmony part. Giants was better, with a better interlude. Steel Tormentor had nice guitar parts. Liked all three.

You aren't going to get the same style of songwriting from Schenker. But his musical territory isn't that far removed. He has a lot of variety in his songwriting and his playing is very melodic. If I remember correctly, the song that impressed you earlier was On and On, which is the one in first post. It's got great melodies. Crimson mentioned Cry For the Nations, which leans to his poppier side, but with good playing, solo and melodies:

For something faster and heavier try Save Yourself. Watching him playing this solo from five feet away was magnificent.

Or if you want something a little more progressive, try Desert Song

Glad you like these songs mckindog.

Thanks for the Schenker songs, will play them later when I've some more time to write something about them.

Last edited:
Heard the MSG tracks and I am especially fond of the last two. Save Yourself's chorus is very good but Desert Song is really great stuff, fitting well to my taste. Is this song representative for more of his work? Then I certainly need to hear more.

I've actually linked Save Yourself before, and you listened and responded to it :P It's one of my favourite non-instrumental Schenker tracks, although it's done under "McAuley Schenker Group" so it won't be on the standard MSG compilations. "Forever and More" is released just as Michael Schenker but has tracks from all his group work (MSG, McAuley, UFO, Scorpions) and his self-titled (which is almost entirely instrumental).

Desert Song is from 'Assault Attack', with Graham Bonnet on vocals.

Heard the MSG tracks and I am especially fond of the last two. Save Yourself's chorus is very good but Desert Song is really great stuff, fitting well to my taste. Is this song representative for more of his work? Then I certainly need to hear more.

Assault Attack is likely his most progressive album. It has Cozy Powell on drums with more emphasis on heavier rhythms and less of the poppy choruses that defined most of his McAuley work. And, of course, great soloing.
The first comparison that pops into my head is The X Factor. It's not nearly as Gothic sounding, and the vocals are much different. But it does travel some of the same musical ground. I think you'd probably like it.

EDIT: It's actually Ted McKenna on drums, not Powell.

Last edited:
Back