World Cup of Maidenfans 2.0: Opening Round 21

Which is the better artist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hahaha! Never noticed that!

Check this haunting track, mckindog:
Did Schenker ever make something of this nature? Our different appreciations aside, I really doubt if his music had such varied shapes and as many ingredients as in Helloween's soup.

Last edited:
The problem with trying to find a track for Schenker is that MSG has had quite a few singers, so it varies a lot. If we are then to expand it to anything done outside of the more well known bands (UFO/Scorpions) and take anything released with his name in the title (Michael Schenker Group, McAuley Schenker Group, Michael Schenker) there's 21 albums of original material to go through, a very large amount of which is instrumental and/or acoustic.

There's definitely a lot of variation, but I don't think there's anything with that sort of (as you put it) haunting nature no. I do think his best work is with UFO (although I prefer his solo version of Doctor Doctor), and I may be able to choose the odd track from his solo stuff - but it depends on what we are drawing from for this particular voting, i.e which of his solo releases are included.

The Time of the Oath is not a Helloween I enjoy, to be honest. But it does include one of the best harmonies they have ever done at 4:18-4:35.

I am not surprised Flash, I think the playing is a little too fast for your taste.

Last edited:
So, what would you say if I don't like it either?
I don't know the bands you like listen to. You haven't said anything about Helloween so I can't make any chocolate of it.

Flash is an open book when it comes to music. He posts often about bands. E.g. I also know that he often cares for room to breath (calmer moments in songs), atmosphere. Helloween's music is quite busy, quite intense.

Flash, when I think of the bands that you have mentioned over the years, then the ones you just mentioned are rarities.

Opinion on quality is formed by something and doesn't come out of the blue.

This graphic will explain it better than I will. Point is, I'm very familiar with fast music, and have never liked Helloween. Just interested in what you had to say, in that regard.
image.php

Flash is an open book when it comes to music. He posts often about bands. E.g. I also know that he often cares for room to breath (calmer moments in songs), atmosphere. Helloween's music is quite busy, quite intense.

Flash, when I think of the bands that you have mentioned over the years, then the ones you just mentioned are rarities.

They are a rarity indeed but that should go ahead and show that I'm not close minded about fast paced playing in general. Not only Helloween's music have no room to breath, it also lacks atmosphere making it very demanding to listen to even if they have some quality riffs. I feel like the whole sound of the band feels "rushed" and not in a good way.

Hahaha! Never noticed that!

Check this haunting track, mckindog:
Did Schenker ever make something of this nature? Our different appreciations aside, I really doubt if his music had such varied shapes and as many ingredients as in Helloween's soup.

I'm at work now and off to see an AC/DC cover band tonight, but I will listen to this and try to post a few MSG songs tomorrow.
I'm with Flash on Helloween. I don't dislike them and I do respect them, but I find they lack subtlety and their music doesn't affect me emotionally. I do like the harmonies and sometimes the speed.
Admittedly I haven't listened to them much.

Luke, I have to admit I don't know some of these bands but I esteem that lots of the fast ones do not focus so much on melodies (and harmonies).
They are a rarity indeed but that should go ahead and show that I'm not close minded about fast paced playing in general. Not only Helloween's music have no room to breath, it also lacks atmosphere making it very demanding to listen to even if they have some quality riffs. I feel like the whole sound of the band feels "rushed" and not in a good way.
Yes, I know such stuff is demanding for you. You are not (or hardly) into such stuff. It's taste.
Don't get me wrong: I never said you are close minded about fast paced playing!

@Perun: by chance (or not :) you were quoting a song that is not that far from what Helloween have been doing, stylistically. And I love it. :)

@mckindog:
And I admittedly haven't heard much Schenker. I did hear most songs you have posted in the past. I didn't dislike them but wasn't that thrilled either, although vaguely remember a very good one, but it could have been another artist. We've shared a lot in the past, e.g. the random song review thread.

Have fun with the cover band!

@Perun: by chance (or not :) you were quoting a song that is not that far from what Helloween have been doing, stylistically. And I love it. :)

Not surprisingly, I feel quite indifferent about it. I don't hate it, but it just never pops up when I think of individual Maiden songs to listen to.

Back