World Cup of Maidenfans 2.0 Great Eight: Battle 4

Which is the better artist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What is Metallica better than Rush at?
Scaring Black Wizard.

I believe the poll says 'better artist.' If the poll was about appealing to you, there would only be one vote, right?

I think Rush is more artistic in the following ways:
Why is how "artistic" something is an argument for how good something sounds or why it's "better?" The arguments for prog music never cease to amaze me.

guitar, album covers, stage shows, stage presence, set lists, sense of humor, and lyrics. However, Rush continues to be an interesting enterprise 40 years into their career

Debatable.

Why is how "artistic" something is an argument for how good something sounds or why it's "better?"

The poll asks which is more artistic, that is why we are arguing on artistic merit. If the poll was worded as "who do you like better," it would be a different story. If arguments such as better at playing instruments, better at writing songs, better at performing live, and better at pleasing fans are not what we should judge artistic merit on, I don't know what is. Artistic often does not equal sounds good.

The arguments for prog music never cease to amaze me.

We are Iron Maiden fans--of course album covers matter!

Debatable.

Ask any Rush fan about Clockwork Angels and they will likely tell you that it was a very well received album, and likely their best in 20+ years. This is simply not the case with Metallica. And I will repeat I am a fan of both.

Finally, most of my comments have been very tongue in cheek (I think Ariana rightly recognized this, and it was her post I replied to).

I'm always amazed at how people try to measure music using what they see as "tangible" metrics.

The poll asks which is more artistic, that is why we are arguing on artistic merit. If the poll was worded as "who do you like better," it would be a different story. If arguments such as better at playing instruments, better at writing songs, better at performing live, and better at pleasing fans are not what we should judge artistic merit on, I don't know what is. Artistic often does not equal sounds good.
Every individual out here can or cannot use arguments that are about artistic merits (or anything else) in order to explain why they like an artist the most.
Whatever is said: "best band", "band you like the most", it is all a subjective recognition of (aspects of) an artist. In the end, a personal liking overrules everything. If we want or can explain that; IMO that would be a bonus, but not everyone is into that or is able to do that.

I fully agree with Whooten's explanation why he chooses Rush but I disagree with him that the arguments in this explanation are facts that (should) appeal in the same way to everybody out here.

Last edited:
Whooten, you're really dying to have this discussion again, are you?

I'm always amazed at how people try to measure music using what they see as "tangible" metrics.

If that doesn't happen, there's no discussion regarding music. "I like this one better, because I like it better, deal with it" is not discussion material.

One might not want to engage in lengthy discussions and that's fine, but condemning it is unnecessary. And yes, that includes the much annoying "Best vs. Favorite" debate.

-----

I really don't think the certain criteria we're looking for here is "artistic merit", Whooten. Everything counts, you have to take everything into account and the importance of merits may vary from person to person.

Last edited:
I never said I object to discussions and I don't condemn them. But people fail to see that it is always a matter of personal taste. There is no such thing as objective truth to music and talking about writing better songs or performing better live is still an opinion. That's all.

That I'll agree with. I think there are personal metrics that one may use to measure music, but the fact of the matter is they're always personal. One may consider something to be the objective truth when it comes to music but he cannot expect other people to do share those opinions.

I feel like it often comes down to semantics. Like the difference between "X is better than Y." and "I think X is better than Y." There's literally no difference, but we feel like one is more modest, unprejudiced and personal.

Final:

A. Priest vs Rush
B. Priest vs Sabbath
C. Rush vs Sabbath

Place your bets. ;-)

(what was it last time?)

Tough choice, but Metallica has influenced me far more than Rush ever will. Granted, Rush probably influenced most other bands I listen to that influence me...but I gotta go with Metallica.

I never said I object to discussions and I don't condemn them. But people fail to see that it is always a matter of personal taste. There is no such thing as objective truth to music and talking about writing better songs or performing better live is still an opinion. That's all.

I agree completely. But seriously, beating the dead horse.

EDIT: And Rush.

Back