WikiLeaks

____no5

Free Man
Apologizes for the cut word, it's a (poor?) attempt to avoid filtration.

1) It appears that it's not clear whether what Assange did it's illegal or not, according to Australian law. However, he claims that his country denied his return back home.  
2) Swedish authorities, who want to question him over sex offence allegations, issued a new warrant for his arrest.
3) Liberal activists raise comparisons with China's Google censorship -->article

The US opened new fronts in its fight against WLeaks today as civil rights groups accused the authorities of censorship.
The whistleblower's website went offline for the third time in a week this morning – the biggest threat to its online presence so far. The site re-emerged later on a Swiss domain.
France joined international calls for WLeaks to be closed down, warning that it was "unacceptable" for a "criminal" site to be hosted in the country.
The moves came only days after Amazon pulled the WLeaks site from its servers after political pressure from Joe Lieberman, chairman of the Senate homeland security committee.
Lieberman is not finished with Amazon, and is planning to write to the organisation within the next 24 hours asking for details of its relationship with WLeaks. The issue is fast turning into a row over freedom of speech, as Democratic and Republican politicians joined calls for action against WLeaks, including emergency legislation for legal challenge.
Liberal activists saw echoes of the row involving China and Google earlier this year, censorship the Obama administration decried at the time.
The US civil rights group Human Rights First wrote to Amazon saying that its decision to cease hosting WLeaks raised serious concerns and asked the book group to consider this before responding to Lieberman's request for more information.
Rainey Reitman and Marcia Hofmann, of the Electronic Freedom Foundation, which campaigns for internet freedom, writing on the organisation's site, said it was "unfortunate that Amazon caved in to unofficial government pressure to squelch core political speech. Amazon had an opportunity to stand up for its customer's right to free expression. Instead, Amazon ran away with its tail between its legs".
There have been calls on blogsites for a boycott of Amazon.
Leslie Phillips, communications director for the Senate homeland security committee, disputed any parallel with China's censorship of the internet. "It is not at all the same," she said. "In China, there is a fiat from above."
Lieberman, she said, does not have the authority to shut down Amazon or tell it who its clients should be.
She said Lieberman is to write to Amazon asking for basic facts such as when it first realised that WLeaks was disseminating classified information.
In a blogpost on Thursday night, Amazon denied giving in to political pressure. It said WLeaks was violating its terms of service, which included a provision that the content should not be harmful. "It is not credible that the extraordinary volume of 250,000 classified documents that WLeaks is publishing could have been carefully redacted in such a way as to ensure that they weren't putting innocent people in jeopardy," Amazon said.
Lieberman and other senators are to introduce legislation that they have named the Shield Act that would allow the administration to go after WLeaks. But the bill stands little chance of passage as it would probably go not to the homeland security committee but the Senate judiciary committee, which is headed by Patrick Leahy, a Democrat and long-time champion of liberal issues.

4) WLeaks cables claim first scalp as German minister's aide is sacked.

Helmut Metzner admitted acting as a mole for the US embassy during negotiations to form a government.

The WLeaks revelations have claimed their first political scalp in Europe with the sacking of the German foreign minister's chief of staff, who acted as a mole for the Americans, keeping the US embassy in Berlin posted last year on the confidential negotiations to form Angela Merkel's new government.
Amid a mood of increasing anger in the German political class at the disparaging observations on the chancellor's cabinet from US officials, a liberal MP today demanded the withdrawal of the American ambassador in Berlin, Philip Murphy.
Guido Westerwelle, the German foreign minister and leader of the liberal Free Democrats, the junior partner in the Merkel coalition, is described unflatteringly in the US cables from Berlin as inexperienced, "exuberant" and "wild".
The cables relate how an FDP insider – "a fly on the wall, a young, up-and-coming party loyalist who was taking notes during the marathon talks" – delivered documents to the US embassy and kept US diplomats informed on the new government formation in October last year.
On Monday Westerwelle dismissed the reports as false and insisted there was no mole. But Helmut Metzner, his chief of staff, was sacked after admitting he was the source of the US intelligence.
"The staff member of the FDP's federal headquarters, who has admitted his contacts with the US embassy in Berlin, has been relieved of his duties as chief of staff for the FDP chairman," said a party statement.
Hans-Michael Goldmann, an FDP MP, told the Bildzeitung newspaper today that a German ambassador abroad behaving like Murphy would be promptly "called home". He added that Murphy had failed to apologise for the scandal.

source

Re: WLeaks

Before a while I tried to make a research in Google and it was so heavy filtered that it didn't open at all. So I tried French system D and went directly to the Guardian. 

______no5 said:
Before a while I tried to make a research in Google and it was so heavy filtered that it didn't open at all. So I tried French system D and went directly to the Guardian. 

Now that's classic no5 right there.

The law of power:

______no5 said:
1) It appears that it's not clear whether what Assange did it's illegal or not, according to Australian law. However, he claims that his country denied his return back home.   
2) Swedish authorities, who want to question him over sex offence allegations, issued a new warrant for his arrest*.

*Note about the 2nd point :
Swedish prosecutors have sent an international arrest warrant to the Met, seeking the extradition of Assange for questioning on allegations – which he strongly denies – of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion.
Jennifer Robinson, one of his lawyers, said his legal team had heard nothing from the police to suggest that their client's arrest was imminent.

In addition:
3) On Saturday, PayPal, which is owned by the auction website eBay, froze WikiLeaks' account, saying it was being used for "illegal" activity. However, it's not clear if it's illegal or not, as mentioned in point 1.
4) Following this, WikiLeaks advertised the PostFinance account details online to "donate directly to the Julian Assange and other WikiLeaks Staff Defence Fund," giving an account name of "Assange Julian Paul, Geneve".
5) Julian Assange's Swiss bank account closed, because he had given "false information".
6) Individuals redirecting parts of their own sites to Swedish internet host amid 'censorship'

source 1
source 2

I don't see why you can't put Wikileaks in the title.

This is just in:
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London (link to the BBC)

The arrest is because of alleged sexual assaults. Now, I clearly stated my opinion on this guy elsewhere, and I'm not backing away from it. But this is an example of a case where the governments clearly have no clue what to do.

Perun said:
I don't see why you can't put Wikileaks in the title.

Fixed it. I thought it'd help me to avoid some filters that slow or block my connection. I think it's ok.

Perun said:

What a shame... Regardless what this person is, the whole case is a monkey business. How many countries are involved? At least 6: US, UK, Sweden, Swiss, France, Australia. And the whole world to witness. Fucking shame.

Well, he was reported for the crime in August, so…I do wonder if the the prosecution is related to his leaking. Anyway. I think Wikileaks is terribly important, and I expect someone will continue the work, even if he goes away.

I am a bit split in my opinion on the entire WikiLeaks thing. If it is used to uncover corruption or war crimes - great! But - at least from whar I've seen reported in Norwegian media - the last round of leaks also involved a lot of things that really have no public interest apart from satisfying people's desire for gossip. For example, a lot of leaks about how diplomats around the world would speak of other politicians and diplomats when not in public. A lot of name-calling. What good does that do? What good does it do to know that American diplomats think that Silvio Berlusconi is too fond of partying or that Nicolas Sarkozy is arrogant? Stuff like that will either just create noise, or create bad blood between the political leadership of countries.

As for the arrest of Assange - do we know enough about the facts of the case to know that the accusations against him are made up? I mean, if he is actually arrested because of Wikileaks, it's a shame. If I've missed some vital facts, I'll be glad to let myself be enlightened, but let's not rush to conclusions ...

I would agree that the US is to blame for the leaks, if the story of a low level (Private?) military man having access to this data is true, we really need to beef up our security and make an example of the person who actually leaked the data (chanrge with treason I would assume).

Gotta love the government.

I think treason is a little harsh.

I don't believe that any serving US servicemembers nor any deployed agents were placed into immediate danger by these leaks. Geraldo Riviera and Scooter Libby have done worse with their various leaks and the like. If people were placed at risk? Sure. Let's look at treason. But what this person did was leak information that in general wasn't widely known, but was oft suspected.

I find a lot of it interesting from a historic point of view, to be completely honest. I wonder why the US is so concerned about such a comparatively low-level leak…especially to the point where they are attempting to fight the Internet to subvert it.

LooseCannon said:
I wonder why the US is so concerned about such a comparatively low-level leak…especially to the point where they are attempting to fight the Internet to subvert it.

it's their latest in their list of faceless wars: crime, drugs, terror and now the internet :D

LooseCannon said:
I think treason is a little harsh.

I don't believe that any serving US servicemembers nor any deployed agents were placed into immediate danger by these leaks. Geraldo Riviera and Scooter Libby have done worse with their various leaks and the like. If people were placed at risk? Sure. Let's look at treason. But what this person did was leak information that in general wasn't widely known, but was oft suspected.

I find a lot of it interesting from a historic point of view, to be completely honest. I wonder why the US is so concerned about such a comparatively low-level leak…especially to the point where they are attempting to fight the Internet to subvert it.

I am not sure it is too harsh.  He purposely leaked documents with the intent to harm the country to a non-US citizen with the intent of them being exposed to more non-US citizens, if this person is a soldier, I would assume he (or she) will be tired in a military court and it probably fits the charge of treason.

Is releasing the truth really harming the USA?

I'm not saying the fellow shouldn't be punished - he had a job to do. He didn't do it. But there is a difference between whistleblowing and treason. Whistleblowing MUST be encouraged. It's why journalists protect sources. Whistleblowing has a great tradition in American history, up to and including Deep Throat, and I find myself wondering why such a big deal is being made of this now.

Can't the US just apologize?

LooseCannon said:
up to and including Deep Throat

What does Linda Lovelace have to do with this??  :halo:  (Come on, people, that was inevitable...)

LooseCannon said:
I think Wikileaks is terribly important.

Why is that?  I may agree with you, insofar as it may force governments in the long run to be more honest with their constituents.  But it may also discourage governments from being more honest with each other.  Still the most interesting thing I've read about the recent government leaks is the notion that Arab countries, Saudi Arabia in particular, may actually have wanted the U.S. and/or Israel to invade Iran and cripple its nuclear capabilities.  While that is fascinating, I'm not sure how I feel about its disclosure.  True, it doesn't immediately jeopardize American or Israeli lives, because as far as I know no such invasion is imminent.  And, it sends a message to Iran that probably should have been sent a long time ago.  But still, isn't that something that SHOULD be kept secret, if we want to encourage candid communication among nations?  And, if so, that the U.S. should have protected the information better does not necessarily excuse the person who knowingly publishes it. 

I will say, however, that the rape case against Assange seems extremely fishy based on the limited reports I have heard.  If you're going to try to jail him on censorship grounds, at least have the balls to do so and test whether that's valid Constitutionally or whether the public would be opposed to such a prosecution.  Don't trump up a possibly b.s. charge to punish him for something you don't have the balls to actually say is a crime. 

Well, the point, is that a democracy that is supposed to be about the true and free dissemination of information shouldn't be too concerned about these sorts of things. You're right - that's interesting information, but it doesn't surprise me.

Here's how I see it: Wikileaks is offering information that the US didn't properly protect. Some of it is interesting, a little of it is damning, most of it is boring. So far, they have not revealed information to actually put someone in danger: which makes them better than some previous leakers who I have mentioned (ahem, Scooter Libby). Minor level corruption, the disappointing opinion of diplomats, and the minor scandal of spying on other countries' leaders is all that's been revealed. It doesn't deserve to be landed on with both feet for this. It's the idea that scares them....

And the insurance.ewp256 file.

Back