Why is Maiden not selling well in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the exact (or approx.) figures are for how many albums Maiden sold in each country. I'd love to compare and contrast and see where Maiden's biggest and smallest markets lie. I remember seeing approximate amounts for Metallica, which I thought was interesting (I can't remember where). If anyone has any information regarding this let me know!

I dont care what our fellow Americans do with their money, i love Maiden and that is all that matters........as for these other "Metal" bands, give me a break.......almost every American band bows down to the mighty dollar at some point, this is the reason i hate Metallica! only the first three albums are worth a listen......its all about money and popularity in the States, i just feel blessed Maiden saw fit to do a few shows with an incredible show this year here in the States! Crowds were great! So screw the other bands from here, Maiden will basically hold there ground till they die!

Speaking as an American myself, I can indubitably proclaim that the majority of Americans are imbeciles. :nuts:

(I can't give a proper educated assessment of other countries' citizens since I haven't lived anywhere else. Sorry.)

Speaking as an American myself, I can indubitably proclaim that the majority of Americans are imbeciles. :nuts:

(I can't give a proper educated assessment of other countries' citizens since I haven't lived anywhere else. Sorry.)

When it comes to music, not doubt. The hair metal movement was just a joke, American Idol and various pop acts are just insane how popular such shitty music is.

I will say there are certainly a fair amount of quality US bands out there that put out some good to great music and some good metal/hard rock strongholds in a variety of genres, but they rarely seem to bubble to the top.

The good news is that Maiden seems to be drawing well on this tour and have a strong cult-like following in the US ... and as long as there are enough people going to the shows to encourage bands like Maiden to keep touring in the US, I am happy.

we need more people like me, to take their kids to Maiden shows and get them into the music, so the Maiden legacy will live on in the US!

There's no such thing as shitty music. Just conflicting opinions.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but as a hardcore metal fan and a hardcore country fan, I just get sick of people labeling my favorite music shitty, when really they just don't like it/understand it. And I mean, I understand why a Megadeth fan wouldn't like Johnny Cash and why a Dixie Chicks fan wouldn't like the Sex Pistols (even though I'm personally a big fan of all four of them), but that doesn't make any of these artists shitty.

I personally like a lot of American music. You won't catch me listening to a Taylor Swift album or a Katy Perry single, but hey, I can enjoy Carrie Underwood, Eminem, and Kanye West. :smartarse:

Johnny Cash might be the coolest American recording artist of all time. Even people who don't love country music respect the hell out of him. Anyone tried the same stuff today -- wearing all black, with an American flag on stage -- would probably get hooted off stage, but when Johnny Cash did it, it worked.

Speaking as an American myself, I can indubitably proclaim that the majority of Americans are imbeciles.

I can indubitably proclaim that the majority of Americans people are imbeciles. I have been in clubs and heard the radio in Europe and South America too -- those folks listen mostly to the same shit Americans do. David Guetta and Swedish House Mafia didn't first become popular in the U.S. -- we got that unlistenable nonsense from overseas.

The United States Music Fad's
60's Early Rock, Such as Elvis and Johnny Cash, and Some Beatles
70's Disco, and The Beatles
80's Real Metal, Than Towards 88 when Guns N Roses Got Popular Hair Metal Began
90's Hair Metal - Then Late 90's Pop began
00' Pop and Other Nonsense
2010-? Rap, Dubstep, and Other Music With No Meaning.
This Is Just From My Knowledge, I May be Wrong is Some Parts, But This Is Mainly The Point
If I Have to Listen To Lil Wayne Rap and Play Guitar Horribly I Might as Well Shoot Myself

The United States Music Fad's
60's Early Rock, Such as Elvis and Johnny Cash, and Some Beatles
70's Disco, and The Beatles
80's Real Metal, Than Towards 88 when Guns N Roses Got Popular Hair Metal Began
90's Hair Metal - Then Late 90's Pop began
00' Pop and Other Nonsense
2010-? Rap, Dubstep, and Other Music With No Meaning.
This Is Just From My Knowledge, I May be Wrong is Some Parts, But This Is Mainly The Point
If I Have to Listen To Lil Wayne Rap and Play Guitar Horribly I Might as Well Shoot Myself

The '80s is when glam was the fixture of rock music, what with all the pop-friendly bands that crashed the Sunset Strip, got signed, and made your token rocker that made a girl's father hate 'em and your token ballad that made a girl swoon over 'em. When Guns N' Roses hit the scene in '87, they made no impact, but in '88, after the Jungle video hit, GN'R exploded, and they killed off glam bands because they took the sleaze of the glam rock bands and they paired it with blues-rock. They made glam look stupid.

In the '90s, hair metal was gone and GN'R was at the top of the world until Nirvana's second album came out and made GN'R less cool. Then "grunge" (alternative rock, really) was the big thing, and music was for the most part stripped down. Also, rap was taking shape, and there was some awesome rap music. The '90s were kind of a mixed bag of music.

The '00s actually saw a brief classic rock revival.

This current decade isn't actually heavily rap-oriented. It's more about dubstep, hip hop, and R&B. I don't know if it's necessarily music with "[n]o [m]eaning," but it's just what's popular right now, and that'll probably change in a few years' time. Country's also been really popular in every decade. It's subjective if you like country nowadays. I personally find a lot of country radio really redundant and boring. :p

Also, it's awesome to see Johnny Cash fans on here! The man was one of a kind. You just don't hear songs like "Folsom Prison Blues" -- ever.

I am taking my wife with me to the show in SLC. She had no idea who Iron Maiden was until she cuaght me humming The Number of the Beast. Then, when she revealed she was going to a Metal concert, three people in their office said, oh yeah, Iron Maiden, I know who they are. (She works as an imaging tech in a clinic, and one of those three was her boss, a doctor in the department). It is not that they are unknown, the show is completelly sold out, but that is not the style here in the US. People like more "friendly" music that I sincerely think is garbage, they like easy listening instead of paying attention to what the lyrics actually say. To me, that is the biggest tragedy of the American Metal Scene.

As I've stated before, Maiden doesen't sell as many albums in the U.S. now as they used to but then again who does? 10 years ago an album had to sell at least a million copies to debut at No. 1 on the charts, today if you sell 150,000 copies you've got a shot at the top spot. Digital and illegal downloading has killed sales across the board. Today Maiden is a lot like Rush in the U.S. Another band who used to have great album sales but today not so much. Yet they still sell out just about every show so the fans are still there. As an example back on the original SSOASS tour there were about 2,500 people who attended the Maiden show at Indy, and that was toward the end of Maiden's big run of successs in the U.S. The other night at the Indy show ther were about 15,000 people in attendece ( my estimate ). And a lot of those in attendence were a hell of a lot younger than me. So Maiden still has a lot of fans here if not the album sales they used to have

I don't know about America, but from what I've heard progressive rock was huge in 70's. The Dark Side of the Moon, which was released in 1974, being the 2nd best selling album of all time proves it, I think. Actually, I'll tell you a story to back it up. Here in Turkey back in 70's you wouldn't easily find any foreign records. You'd hear a song on the radio, you wouldn't know its name most of the time. My mom, who was born in 1967, remembers hearing King Crimson on the radio in early 70's. Funny thing is, she didn't know the band. She has always been a big fan of the song "Epitaph", but she thought it was sung by a man named King Crimson for years. Then in last year when I was trying her to get to know the stuff I listen to, I opened the song The Court of the Crimson King, which was on the same album as Epitaph, In the Court of the Crimson King. My mom remembered the voice, asked me if there was a song named Epitaph by the band and there we go, she learned the name of the artist she was listening to after 35 years. That's another evidence that progressive rock was huge in 70's, even in a country like Turkey which didn't even have TV's until 80's, people knew progressive rock songs from that era.

Pop has always been there, because basic, close-minded, stupid people has always been there. (I know I'm going a bit harsh, but hey) Disco was huge in 70's, electronic/synthpop was huge in 80's. Hair metal had its strike in late 80's, grunge crushed hair metal in 90's. Hiphop had its foundations in 80's and started to reach its fullest limit in 90's. (in quality)

Then came RnB in 2000's. Rap lost its underground edge and became mainstream which led to horrible, sex/drug/sex/drug/shake that ass material songs to dominate the music world along with boring comtemporary RnB songs. Comtemporary RnB has had power since 80's, but it's nirvana has been in the 2000's. (not by quality, of course)

And now in 2010's, electronic music, dubstep has been the biggest genre of music. RnB still has its power with the same mainstream artists. I think the recent rejuvenation of electronic music is related to that of 80's electronic music and the patterns used in the new mainstream music, such as beats in hiphop songs. I expected such an attack by electronic music.

I'll try to list eras/popular genres by complexity/straight-forwardness.

1970's Popular Music

High level : Progressive Rock, Early Hard Rock
Mid-level : The Beatles
Basic-level : Disco

1980's Popular Music

High level : Hard Rock
Mid-level : Glam Rock
Basic-level : Electronica / Synthpop

1990's Popular Music

High level : Heavy Metal (barely, metal had a breakthrough and went mainstream with Metallica's success, especially with the single One, but the general quality of the genre lowered in the same period, coincidence ?)
Mid-level : Grunge
Basic-level : Pop bands (girlband-boyband)

2000's Popular Music

High level : Nothing, actually.
Mid-level : Alternative Rock
Basic-level : Comtemporary RnB & Cheesy Hiphop

We're in early stages of 2010's, so it wouldn't be fair to write about that in general. Though the basic-level carried on with comtemporary RnB and cheesy hiphop, with newly added dubstep and the turnaround of electronica.

Electronica probably will carry the torch for 2010's. I'm very curious about 2020's popular music, because a sharp turnaround can be expected. Though as the society continues to get dumber, maybe we'll see even more horrific stuff on mainstream.

I don't know about America, but from what I've heard progressive rock was huge in 70's. The Dark Side of the Moon, which was released in 1974, being the 2nd best selling album of all time proves it, I think.

I know you have different ideas about what progressive music is (remembering this discussion we had) but I'd say Dark Side is Pink Floyd's most commercial album with the most radio friendly music from their career (with Waters at least).

It might be a bit commercial, but it is still progressive.

I don't know... To me "progressive" during that era is Yes or Kansas. I agree with Foro, out of all the Floyd albums, Dark Side seems the least prog of them all, specially compared to Animals or even The Wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back