Why has Bruce disregarded his past in Samson?

Wästed The Great said:
Ah. Well, I would have thought "do you think Bruce denies his roots' or something like that would make a better title. The question you stated implies that he has disregarded Samson and you are asking why; not asking if.

Good suggestion. Anyway... let's talk about the topic itself now. Have you something to report about the matter?

No, because I haven't seen anything that points out that Bruce disregards his past at all.  I'd say that, if anything, purchasing the rights to Samson material suggests that he feels it has value, otherwise, why own something you detest.

I'd say that, without specific quotes from Bruce that state he disregards his past, we must assume that he doesn't.

Many people have a previous job/career that they know shaped and molded the way they work/operate now, but they don't go around talking to people about it.  Take any sports figure, they all know that college/minor leagues/previous teams helped shape the way they play.  Or their coaches have shaped how they play the game as well.  But, when they are interviewed, they don't thank the coach they had 5 years ago, they thank their current team.

So, I don't think that you can make the statement that Bruce disregards his past in Samson just because he doesn't talk about it.

Bruce loved The X-Factor didn't he?

His opinions on the post-Sabbath/w Ozzy discography I find pretty ignorant.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I've only ever heard Bruce excited about his days in Samson.

He even went out-of-his way to include them in his anthology.

Watch some cool Bruce interviews on youtube and see for yourself.

Bruce is awesome!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Thunderstick Lives! said:
Black Sabbath post-Ozzy delivered the best.

I wouldn't compare say Dio with the Ozzy period. Sabbath were mindblowing in the 70's, and those albums still hold their ground, musically and lyrically. Progess is progress, but Sabbath 70's, 80's or 90's, totally different. It's like Maiden. I still prefer Paul as a singer, but would never say Paul is better than Bruce, the overall sound is just amazing.

I love Head On. I like it better than a few Maiden albums.

I am following Maiden and Bruce for 20 years now, but I don't recall bashing by Bruce (stating that Maiden is on another level I do not find that bashing).

Care to provide some examples, sir?

edit:
Something I did miss was a statement by Bruce when Paul Samson died. Did he do that or not?
If he did I am glad. If he didn't we can say that this was disregarding to say the least.

Sorry for resurrecting this topic, but I just wanted to mention that when Paul Samson died Bruce did say some very nice things about him on his BBC 6 Music Radio Show (during the news section of the show, back in the day done together with Valerie Potter).

What to people think of the video to 'Vice Versa'? It's a good song but the video is slightly disturbing, and not in a good way ha ha.

It was part of the short film Biceps of Steel, a weird retelling of the story of Samson and Delilah. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biceps_of_Steel

I should probably mention that I first came across this when watching the film Incubus late at night in the early 90s and thinking "Wow, what is Bruce Dickinson doing in this film?" :lol:

Oh, the pre-Internet days when finding such information was such a challenge!

Communion by Samson is one of the biggest hidden gems in rock history. That song is in the same class as Beyond the Realms of Death by Priest.

I absolutely adore the climax of the song. The melody/solo is incredibly powerful, then you have Bruce's wailing vocals on top. Can't go without mentioning Thunderstick's awesome fill in between as well.

It is the absolute highlight of the Shock Tactics album, and a lot of it rests on BD's shoulders on this particular track. Performance equally as good as the best singing on NOTB or POM.
I find the guitar playing and bass (at least as) important here. I can enjoy the instrumental passages even more perhaps. Bruce is good but he borders on the edge of offkey singing.

Back