Why A Matter Of Life and Death is Iron Maidens best album

Dance of Death has some great songs on it (Rainmaker, the title track and Paschendale) but has too many low points (Wildest Dreams, New Frontier, Age of Innocence). Also, the production makes my ears tire quicker.

Yes, the worst aspect of DoD is the production. It's so freaking messy, compressed and loud, resulting in a lot of clipping, that it actually makes one tired (me, at least). To give a quick comparison, here is a picture depicting the sound waves of Montsegur from DoD (above) and The Trooper from PoM (below):

b31b9f23556cbfb863a31b1931ab854f.png

Don't think of me as a full-on DoD flamer though, there are some veery good songs on the album, but as is needed to point out, also some of their worst. Much like FotD in that aspect.

Dance of Death has some great songs on it (Rainmaker, the title track and Paschendale) but has too many low points (Wildest Dreams, New Frontier, Age of Innocence). Also, the production makes my ears tire quicker.
Totally agree with you there. Rainmaker and Paschendale are especially fantastic (the latter being better than anything on AMOLAD in my opinion) but AMOLAD is much more consistent. Not to mention, it doesn't make my ears bleed...

Yes, the worst aspect of DoD is the production. It's so freaking messy, compressed and loud, resulting in a lot of clipping, that it actually makes one tired (me, at least). To give a quick comparison, here is a picture depicting the sound waves of Montsegur from DoD (above) and The Trooper from PoM (below):

b31b9f23556cbfb863a31b1931ab854f.png

Don't think of me as a full-on DoD flamer though, there are some veery good songs on the album, but as is needed to point out, also some of their worst. Much like FotD in that aspect.
Ugh. Audio sausage. I'm so glad they didn't master AMOLAD, and I wish they'd do the same for the next album. TFF was a pretty big step backwards.

When Wildest Dreams was released as the first single off DoD, i thought it was an odd choice. When I finally heard the whole album, I was even more confused. Why wasn't it Rainmaker? That's one of Maiden's strongest songs in recent years. Great for so many reasons. Rainmaker really highlights why Bruce's voice has gotten so amazing sounding with age.

Does anyone else absolutely love Different World from AMOLAD? I love songs like this and Rainmaker, love when maiden makes songs like those. They shorter 'rockers' (as they say) with really great melodies and lyrics that convey so much emotion and power.

When Wildest Dreams was released as the first single off DoD, i thought it was an odd choice. When I finally heard the whole album, I was even more confused. Why wasn't it Rainmaker? That's one of Maiden's strongest songs in recent years. Great for so many reasons. Rainmaker really highlights why Bruce's voice has gotten so amazing sounding with age.

Does anyone else absolutely love Different World from AMOLAD? I love songs like this and Rainmaker, love when maiden makes songs like those. They shorter 'rockers' (as they say) with really great melodies and lyrics that convey so much emotion and power.
I love Different World! There's so much subtle harmony going on, especially during the chorus. And I'm baffled as to why Rainmaker hasn't made more appearances live, especially in 2010. Wildest Dreams and No More Lies instead? C'mon guys...

If you're looking specifically for a rocker, that is. NML is much longer, and I like the flow of it. Plus the three solos, showing off Dave, Adrian and Janick in turn is quite a good feature live.

I probably like the album more than most around here, probably in my top5, but for even more difference of opinion Rainmaker is actually towards the lower end of the album for me.

When I first listened to it the ones that made me go crazy were Montsegur, NML, DoD and Paschendale. But these days I'm a big fan of Age of Innocence and Face in the Sand, the title track is definitely my favourite on the album though. The production could be better certainly but it doesn't irritate me, and I actually quite like the punch of the guitars. I even enjoy Wildest Dreams - partially because of the tone - the problem is that I find it quite forgettable, as the album goes on I start to place it lower and lower until it comes back round, it's certainly at the bottom end though.

Dance of Death as an album clicked very quickly for me, whereas AMOLAD took a very long time. Longest Day didn't really take hold until last year due to the chorus being somewhat grating (which is a shame because the rest of the lyrics are some of their best imo). Out of the Shadow's is still one that I tend to forget how it goes when I'm not listening to it, Legacy has been the biggest grower on the album over time.

I ****ing hate polished sound like on Powerslave. I'm glad Maiden went with raw and underproduced sound on DoD and subsequent releases. Love it!
Both DoD & AMOLAD are true masterpieces. And of course I think that AMOLAD is the best Maiden album.
----
Don't care for The Number Of The Beast at all - No Prayer beats that record with ease.
But that's my opinion

I ****ing hate polished sound like on Powerslave.
Don't care for The Number Of The Beast at all - No Prayer beats that record with ease.
But that's my opinion

I am not a fan of the entire NOTB album either but worse than NPFTD? :uhm: Powerslave.... polished? :nuts2: I think the studio versions of some of the songs could have done without backing, overlapping vocals but damn.....

You are certainly entitled to your opinion..... Very interesting unless we have been trolled :ok:

I think AMOLAD is easily their best album since 7th Son, and I'd rank it in my top 5 Maiden albums of all time (maybe in the top 3). Amazing album. They need to throw a couple of tunes in the next setlist, namely Greater Good of God.

AMOLAD is a good album, but it's sort of in the middle of the pack for me. There are no bad songs on it apart from maybe Benjamin Breeg, but there are only 3 songs that are a B+ or over, and no A+'s.

Back