Who was auditioned to replace Blaze?

It does frustrate me that the current era of Iron Maiden is frequently referred to as the "reunion era". The "reunion" was 20 years ago and the current line-up has lasted longer than other line-up in the band's history.
And produced the most studio albums.

Unofficial : Blaze hasn't been worse on VXI tour live than on TXF
Sure? I doubt it. Some gigs excepted, I think Blaze did better during the VXI tour. Read his biography to learn more about problems during the tour.

edit:

Sorry, I read wrong.

I'm going to go ahead and say it: I don't think it's possible to fit all the separate narratives we have into a cohesive whole. Some of the details are wrong, someone is misremembering or even altering facts to suit the big picture. The RTTH book is one source I'd trust the least since it has plenty of editorializing from the band to keep up the general narrative (including things like Clive's firing). Plus the chapter dealing with the reunion was written right around the time it was happening; there's no way Steve and Rod would've accepted a tell-all on the messy process it was to get there.

Now, Roy Z's drunken ramblings are probably at least semi-accurate since it seems like something he'd been bothered by for a long time now, but there could be some embellishment or maybe wrong dates - humans aren't the best at remembering details of events that happened close to 20 years ago. I'd generally trust his take despite the fact that it is well possible he may have exaggerated his role in the reunion somewhat, because it's not like he has anything to gain by lying about it.

However, that leaves us with a problem. Nicko's interview is pretty recent so there's no reason he'd have to pretty up the truth, it's all long in the past. He's also been surprisingly honest in interviews before regarding this matter specifically and the general consensus is he was the one to originally push for Blaze's replacement. But! It seems to directly contradict both the official story in its various permutations (not surprising) and also Roy Z's account from back in the day (a whole lot more surprising).

Long story short, the question is which of these distinct narratives is ultimately the correct one? They can't all be a 100% true because of the contradictions made within each. We can't know for sure because we can't go chat up the people involved and try to get a clarification. It is because of this uncertainty that I suggest caution be taken when trying to weave a cohesive narrative out of these accounts and retellings, as I feel that is about as productive as putting together a conspiracy theory on the back of contradictory and lacking evidence. These different takes just don't fit together very neatly, if at all.

If I had to make a suggestion, I'd go with focusing on building a cohesive timeline that doesn't contradict itself at any point and going by what's likely to have happened based on assessments of each individual's character (Bruce being nervous about the reunion because he'd be boarding a ship led solely by Steve seems perfectly believable, for example) and past events. Less focus on the individual nuggets of information and more on the big picture.

-I think Bruce was happy with his solo career at this point. But there might be something there. Roy Z was absent during TCW tour, because of the combination of pursuing his producing career and personal issues. Despite Bruce saying that Guru was a good stand-in for Z, I still think Roy was much better, judging from bootlegs. I think Bruce was a bit displeased by this and this could be one of the factors why he wanted to ditch his solo career, since his main creative partner wasn't fully commited and somewhat unreliable.
Interesting theory. I never understood why Z preferred to produce one Downset record over doing this amazing tour.
So, IMO, Bruce rejoined in January 1999 and no other singers were auditioned.
Agreed. It might even be February 1999, including the meeting.
I'm suggesting both. Band knew from the day 1 it is going to be shit. When the chance of getting an appropriate vocalist without risk of getting a new, potentially unfit as Blaze vocalist presented itself they took it. As such Blaze is only to blame cause he took the gig far above his capacity, while Harris is to take the brunt of the blame because he hired him. People blame Blaze's worsening performance while the thing was doomed from the start.
It depends on how you look at it. It depends on the setlist, it depends on the problems Blaze addressed in his book. If these were addressed, things may have turned out better.
How do you explain the Nicko interview? What is the most important there is the mention of Adrian Smith. That means Dickinson, Harris and Smallwood already talked and agreed on a three guitarist line up.
This explains one demand. Not the meeting itself which brought in other demands. As told, Harris wanted to know a few things more. Finding this out meant a good talk. The return of Bruce and Adrian happened after the meeting with Harris. Which happened in January or February 1999.

Last edited:
Interesting theory. I never understood why Z preferred to produce one Downset record over doing this amazing tour.

I was surprised about this back in 1998, but seem to remember that back in the day it was mentioned Roy Z had to stay in the USA to take care of his parents, who were not well. Bruce mentioned in his autobiography that Roy Z was usually sick on tour, so that might also been a contributing factor to him not touring.

This explains the demands. Not the meeting itself which brought in other demands. As told, Harris wanted to know a few things more. Finding this out meant a good talk. The return of Bruce and Adrian happened after the meeting with Harris. Which happened in January or February 1999.

I think that words "Bruce and Adrian are coming back" uttered by Rod Smallwood to Nicko McBrain and Janick Gers, and immediate explanation that they'll become a 6-piece, clearly outlines the outcome, and not the demands.

Nicko might have worded this wrong. We may add "are willing to come back" or "we are organizing their comeback".

Even not: "are coming back" is different from "are back". The former: it is going to happen but we are not there just yet. The latter: it happened.

Just for the benefit of those who might not have read Nicko's words, here they are:

Classic Rock Magazine issue #257 said:
Q: How were things going for Maiden in 1998?

Nicko: Obviously it was a bit of a lean period for the band, in the respect that Bruce had gone off to pursue a solo career, we had Blaze in, and we did two great albums with him. The Virtual XI tour was mixed emotions for me: some nights it was absolutely amazing and other nights it wasn't so.

Q: Critics were hard on that Virtual XI album.

Nicko: Well, we kind of expected the reviews. When you change the profile of a band - especially when your frontman leaves and you get a new guy in - you're always going to have some criticisms. I've got to be honest with you, we do care. Don't get me wrong, we are selfish. We do the stuff that we do for us, primarily. We're very blessed to be in that position... But as you say, there was a bit of a downer in terms of the Virtual XI album not being received too well, and the critics slating it a bit. I'd be lying if I said it didn't make a difference, but we shrug it off.

Q: Bruce and Adrian came back in 1999. What are your memories of that time?

Nicko: Well, it was twofold. First of all, Bruce decided that he missed the band as much as we did miss him. The added bonus was that after we had the first meeting after we got back from Japan on that Virtual XI tour, and it was decided that we couldn't carry on with Blaze, it all fell into place. All the stars aligned. I still believe it was divine intervention.

Q: What was your reaction?

Nicko: I've got to be honest with you, when I first was told, I was sitting in a sake bar in Roppongi, Japan, with Rod and Janick. And Rod turned round and told me that Adrian was coming back with Bruce and asked what did I think about it. I said: "I don't think that's a good idea". Janick said: "We're traditionally a two-guitar band. Three guitars? I don't get that. I'll step down." Rod said: "You're not going anywhere, mate." Then I looked at Rod and I said: "By the way, are you going to cut your comission down?" And he said: "What the fuck do you mean, cut me bloody comission down?" I said: "Well there's six of us in the band to be paid now." He just looked at me: "Fucking typical drummer!"

Q: It all worked out, though, didn't it?

I laugh about it, but to he honest we had the icing on the cake with Bruce deciding to come back, and then there was the cream and the cherry on top of that. It was a complete win-win situation. Really, if that hadn't happened, I don't know whether you and I would be having this conversation. We are very blessed Bruce came back.

This is a very interesting topic but most scenarios mentioned here contradict each other.
I will try to make a more mature approach based on experience...
I firmly believe, that the truth is that when Bruce left the band it was predetermined from the management that he would take his time off, do his solo stuff and after some years they would do the reunion. Of course no one told Blaze or the fans about this, because this would hurt his motivation and determination. Its simple as that. They wanted Blaze to give his full potential to the band and this wouldn't have worked out if he knew that this is his final tour or his last studio album with Maiden. And the management/record company knew that the announcement of a reunion "out of nowhere" would maximize sales and fans would be ecstatic about it...And yes we (and Blaze Bailey) have been played but that's how music industry works...

Last edited:
This is a very interesting topic but most scenarios mentioned here contradict each other.
I will try to make a more mature approach based on experience...
I firmly believe, that the truth is that when Bruce left the band it was predetermined from the management that he would take his time off, do his solo stuff and after some years they would do the reunion. Of course no one told Blaze or the fans about this, because this would hurt his motivation and determination. Its simple as that. They wanted Blaze to give his full potential to the band and this wouldn't have worked out if he knew that this is his final tour or his last studio album with Maiden. And the management/record company knew that the announcement of a reunion "out of nowhere" would maximize sales and fans would be ecstatic about it...And yes we (and Blaze Bailey) have been played but that's how music industry works...
I remember talking about this matter with one of my best friends who is also a huge Maiden fan and here is what we came up with:
- In the early 90's Maiden were starting to be considered or were already considered and seen as an 80's band, the kind of band you tend to think more about what they were and what they've done than what they're doing or might do in the future. In other terms, Maiden were no longer one of the most important bands but were now part of the metal landscape, just one among many others
- Two options from this point: continue the same way with the risk to become just what some other bands became, which is no matter how great the albums you relaease might be, no matter how great you are as a live band, it's just that less and less pople care because you're one among a lot of others (thinking of Saxon as a perfect example) and sooner or later you might be totally forgotten and become just a nostalgia act
- Option two: totally change this routine with an "unforeseen event" (Bruce leaving) and now that this even has attracted the attention of all the metal community, bring in the band a singer that you know he's not only very different from Bruce but also won't be able to sing the songs on the same level
- OF course, the speech you'll be giving in the media is that this new singer is amazing, you couldn't be more happier and so on...but at the same time you don't help him at all per example when it comes to adapt the songs to his vocal range or properly prepare your first tour with the new guy (an interesting read is on the Maiden Revelations website about this with all the story of the Blaze era)
- So what happens with this: the legendary singer from a - once - legendary band is replaced with an "average" singer that isn't able to sing these classic songs properly and also in terms of stage presence/interaction with the audience, it just can't be compared. Everyone starts remembering with a certain nostalgia of these days with Bruce and how it was great compared to what the band has become
- And when the band hit rock bottom, when all the metal community is now "making fun" of what was once a great band, with a great singer then comes the news: the legendary singer is back and he doesn't come alone, with him comes also the guitarist of that golden days
- Results: these news are all over the metal media, Maiden becomes again one hot name in the metal scene and everyone is now looking forward to see them live with the one that is their "true and only" singer and as a bonus, we get to have their 2nd guitarist of the legenday 80's period. Now with a good album and with a lot of touring, here is Maiden back from the dead!

Ok, as a conclusion this is a story for which I don't have a single proof and it can be seen almost as a conspiracy theory but on the other hand, when you have a manager as clever as Rod Smallwood that knew what decisions should be taken in order to keep Maiden at the top, let's say I wouldn't be surprised if this was the truth or at least part of it...but in the meantime, for lack of proof, its just a theory made by two fans that sometimes would like to see beyond the well prepared speech that is given to us.

I remember talking about this matter with one of my best friends who is also a huge Maiden fan and here is what we came up with:
- In the early 90's Maiden were starting to be considered or were already considered and seen as an 80's band, the kind of band you tend to think more about what they were and what they've done than what they're doing or might do in the future. In other terms, Maiden were no longer one of the most important bands but were now part of the metal landscape, just one among many others
- Two options from this point: continue the same way with the risk to become just what some other bands became, which is no matter how great the albums you relaease might be, no matter how great you are as a live band, it's just that less and less pople care because you're one among a lot of others (thinking of Saxon as a perfect example) and sooner or later you might be totally forgotten and become just a nostalgia act
- Option two: totally change this routine with an "unforeseen event" (Bruce leaving) and now that this even has attracted the attention of all the metal community, bring in the band a singer that you know he's not only very different from Bruce but also won't be able to sing the songs on the same level
- OF course, the speech you'll be giving in the media is that this new singer is amazing, you couldn't be more happier and so on...but at the same time you don't help him at all per example when it comes to adapt the songs to his vocal range or properly prepare your first tour with the new guy (an interesting read is on the Maiden Revelations website about this with all the story of the Blaze era)
- So what happens with this: the legendary singer from a - once - legendary band is replaced with an "average" singer that isn't able to sing these classic songs properly and also in terms of stage presence/interaction with the audience, it just can't be compared. Everyone starts remembering with a certain nostalgia of these days with Bruce and how it was great compared to what the band has become
- And when the band hit rock bottom, when all the metal community is now "making fun" of what was once a great band, with a great singer then comes the news: the legendary singer is back and he doesn't come alone, with him comes also the guitarist of that golden days
- Results: these news are all over the metal media, Maiden becomes again one hot name in the metal scene and everyone is now looking forward to see them live with the one that is their "true and only" singer and as a bonus, we get to have their 2nd guitarist of the legenday 80's period. Now with a good album and with a lot of touring, here is Maiden back from the dead!

Ok, as a conclusion this is a story for which I don't have a single proof and it can be seen almost as a conspiracy theory but on the other hand, when you have a manager as clever as Rod Smallwood that knew what decisions should be taken in order to keep Maiden at the top, let's say I wouldn't be surprised if this was the truth or at least part of it...but in the meantime, for lack of proof, its just a theory made by two fans that sometimes would like to see beyond the well prepared speech that is given to us.
I also wouldn't be surprised, if this is the actual truth. I am quiet convinced actually that this is the truth.
Bruce is an ambitious man and I am sure that he really wanted at that time to do his own record and try new things with his own ideas and music. He was also tired of the same old setting and needed a brake, the other band members also wanted this brake. The management took all of this into consideration, and created with Steve Harris this narrative, turned Iron Maiden for some years into a "underground band" -although this never really happened-, Bruce made his solo records, and fans had a feeling of extreme anticipation and uncertainty about what is going to happen with their favorite band. This is only a win-win situation for all parties....and a potent ground for millions of record sales once the reunion finds place....I am sure that Blaze always believed that he would stay with Maiden for the rest of his life, but unfortunately unbeknownst to him he only played a role that was designed to last only some years....

No way Bruce leaving and then coming back was by design. Bruce wanted out, simple as that. Then several years later he realized his solo career wasn't in a great place and Maiden's popularity quite frankly nose dived to the point they were reduced to playing small clubs in the US. No, Rod realized to have a chance at saving the band he needed to get them to reunite. And really, if it was all a "plan" they picked the absolute wrong time to do it because this was after Nirvana and Grunge exploded and Metal died almost overnight.

Steve told someone long long ago that he wanted a British singer for Maiden, which in practical terms excluded many of the singers they tried out. (I know that sounds contradictory, but life it like that ... ) And he was also publicly annoyed that Bruce left and said that he could do his side projects while working with Maiden. It's a fun narrative, but that's all it is ... apart from anything else, the quitting bands of a key member (singer or lead guitar) to "do their own thing" and then re appearing a few years later hadn't really got going by then, let alone the times we are living in when everyone seems to be re joining their old bands.

I think there were no auditions or backup variants. Maiden needed quick solution because they had to start promoting the Ed Hunter game - and tour. Remember also that they had an idea for a pretty big stage production for it, but unfortunately it never came to fruition. Also, Rod was the manager of Bruce's solo career and for sure had the idea for a future ''Reunion'', probably even after the first tour with Blaze. Both he and Steve knew that Bruce was the best choice, not to mention the great albums he released during that time and the fact that he was a better singer then. Certainly with more control of his voice. Adrian also played a major role for Bruce's return. Keeping Janick in the band too, Steve always wanted a band with 3 guitars, iirc. He just had to try first. Wasn't there a quote from Adrian in which he said if the 3 guitars thing didn't work out he would leave again?

It was really bad for Blaze, he seemed really enthusiastic and happy in the band and gave it his all (Steve even said that Blaze understands what Maiden is better than Bruce), but the return of the classic vocalist for any band is always the best choice. In most cases, and if the vocalist can still sing well. Blaze's choice was odd in the first place because he couldn't sing some of the old classic songs, but the band/Steve wanted something different and bold (after 15 years). They took the chance and wanted to see if it would be a success. If not, the options were a few: hire another new vocalist, disband the band or reunite with Bruce. I think those were Steve's thoughts at the time. Bruce already had his creative freedom, although things could have been very different if his solo career was successful and if Maiden had chosen a different vocalist other than Blaze. Bruce (his solo career wasn't that successful in terms of sales) and Maiden wanted to be a big metal act once again, where they usually belong.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no way I would ever be convinced that Bruce leaving Maiden was all part of a big plan to big up a reunion a few years later. Anyone who believes this doesn’t get Maiden at all.

Unless one of the band members actually said this happened then it’s just pure fantasy.

Think about it for a second, Maiden actually planned a whole campaign about Bruce leaving, made up all the angst and jabs both sides had at each other in the press at the time. Then got Blaze in to fail ON PURPOSE as they knew he couldn’t sing the old songs and fans wouldn’t take to him and then sacked him and went TA DA here we are getting back with our classic vocalist. It’s sounds bizarre to even think this could be true.

Do you really think Steve Harris would hire Blaze on purpose with a plan to make his band fail so it looks better when they reunite with Bruce. Come on, it’s pure fantasy.

The idea that Steve Harris would intentionally do things to make his band lesser suggests a vast misunderstanding of who Steve Harris is as a person.
On one hand I would definetly agree with this statement but on the other there is always some gray areas and decisions that are not that easy to understand. Per example, I think they all knew right from the start that Blaze's voice wasn't on the same level as Bruce's and that he will probably struggle a lot with some songs. If I'm not wrong one of the songs he was asked to sing for the audition was The Trooper. Of course we know how much of a classic this song and it's almost mandatory that it has to be played live is but lets be realistic, this was one of the songs that he struggled the most to sing (way too fast for him, most of the time he botches part of the lyrics). Of course, they wanted a singer that wasn't a clone of Bruce but why did they chose one they probably knew from the beginning that he wouldn't be the perfect singer for them. Not to mention the fact that Blaze didn't have a lot of touring experience, apart from a few weeks here and there. And here he goes for almost a year of touring without proper preparation (here again, I'm basing this information on the detailed history of the Maiden Revelations website).
Sometimes we have to think Maiden is not just music, it's also a huge business and sometimes some decisions are not related to the music itself or just planned for the next few months and years. They are planned for a long period of time and that's how a lot of big business works, they plan way ahead.
But oh well, of course, I agree that this is too huge of a story and unless the main people involved would tell the whole truth one day, we should just take the story for what it is for now...and I'm pretty happy with it because The X Factor is a great album and my first Maiden show I went to, was back in 1995 with Blaze so...but sometimes its just fun to imagine what was going behind the scenes, the whole detailed truth...

So basically, @permanenteddie is transferring the New Coke conspiracy theory over to Maiden.
:lol:not really, Andante's post just made me remember of this talk we had about it, with a friend, long years ago...fun story, but that's about it...it's just fun sometimes to try to imagine a different reality...oh and not really into "new Coke", I'd rather have a belgian trappist beer or a glass of french red wine;)

Back