Which tour rehearsal would you watch? SPOILERS

Ascendingthethrone

Ancient Mariner
I had this thought last night. If you had the chance to sit in and watch a tour rehearsal, which one would it be? I’m talking about pre-production rehearsals where they try out songs before taking them on the road.

Mine would have been the Early Years tour. I remember Nicko saying in an interview before the tour that they were going to rehearse Prodigal Son. I wonder what else they tried out. To Tame A Land? Killers? 22AA? It’s fun to speculate.

What would your choice be?

I think this might just be the right answer, but for particular tours any of the history/hits tours in the reunion era would be interesting to see, because it's almost a certainty they rehearsed quite a few old songs that never ended up getting played. Maiden England in particular would be cool, mostly because of Infinite Dreams but also the possibility that they tried playing some of the other omitted songs from the original ME '88 set before settling on a more typical history tour setlist.

I'd go for the Killers World Tour - young and hungry with plenty to prove on their first world tour. I think it would be a good mix of beers and coke and Steve intensely ironing out any sloppiness.

Second on my list would be Brave New World Tour - I take FTB's point that Ed Hunter was the first time in a while for Adrian and Bruce but I reckon that seeing them rehearse the new material would be great, I reckon there would be more intensity than on Ed Hunter rehearsals.

I think this might just be the right answer, but for particular tours any of the history/hits tours in the reunion era would be interesting to see, because it's almost a certainty they rehearsed quite a few old songs that never ended up getting played. Maiden England in particular would be cool, mostly because of Infinite Dreams but also the possibility that they tried playing some of the other omitted songs from the original ME '88 set before settling on a more typical history tour setlist.
Maiden England is a mystery. No Infinite Dreams. Afraid to Shoot Strangers of all songs as the replacement, which was awesome live btw. No Killers, Die With Your Boots On, Still Life. Aces High in the encore?! Nothing made sense. And what exactly happened with Hallowed Be Thy Name? Was it dropped because of the Beckett issue?

Aye, pretty sure it was dropped because of a court case, same on TBOS second leg, cant remember who was suing for what each time.
Its a mystery indeed. So much from the original Maiden England video was left out. Maybe Infinite Dreams wasn't sound good, for whatever reason but I can't imagine that it and the other 3 you mentioned all sounded bad or someone dislikes the song. It seems quite lazy to me.
Thing is, though, Killers, Still Life and Die With Your Boots On were only played at 16 out of 96 gigs on that tour so they weren't staples of the tour. Then again, they were on the Maiden England video and the tour was called Maiden England. Should have called it 7th Tour Revisited or some shit.
I missed that tour, sadly and I have always wondered what my reaction would have been at the end. Would I have been delighted to have seen 7th Son, Aces High and Phantom or would I have been pissed off that they didn't play the aforementioned songs? I've never left a Maiden gig (13, I think) with any kind of gripe but this one makes me wonder.

If you wanted to see them discussing, and possibly rehearsing the largest amount of songs from platinum records, the answer is tour of 2008.

Probably the one for Somewhere On Tour - (simply because) I want to know why they do not played ATG.

Steve told me they had planned to attempt to play all the songs from the album on that tour (this would have been AMAZING had it played out). Deja Vu didn't work live at all, the loneliness sounded great in rehearsals but they didn't like how it fit in the set live and Rime was brought back because of the absence of Alexander.... I have heard rumors about why it didn't make the cut like Adrian forgetting how to play it and so on but Steve didn't remember either. I chatted with him hours before opening show for British Lion. I have talked to Nicko about it as well...

So much from the original Maiden England video was left out. Maybe Infinite Dreams wasn't sound good, for whatever reason but I can't imagine that it and the other 3 you mentioned all sounded bad or someone dislikes the song. I've never left a Maiden gig (13, I think) with any kind of gripe but this one makes me wonder.

I left disappointed (slightly) from Maiden England on the second show in 2012 because of the absence of Infinite Dreams..... and Still Life... According to Rod, they rehearsed Infinite Dreams and went with Afraid to shoot strangers...... :mad: Still Life is my favorite POM track and Infinite Dreams is my favorite SSOASS track. 2 songs I'll have to accept I'll never hear live in person. That would have been the tour to hear it. I went on both US legs in 2012 and 2013 hoping a set list change would bring one into play but nope!

Steve told me they had planned to attempt to play all the songs from the album on that tour (this would have been AMAZING had it played out). Deja Vu didn't work live at all, the loneliness sounded great in rehearsals but they didn't like how it fit in the set live and Rime was brought back because of the absence of Alexander.... I have heard rumors about why it didn't make the cut like Adrian forgetting how to play it and so on but Steve didn't remember either. I chatted with him hours before opening show for British Lion. I have talked to Nicko about it as well...

They probably rehearsed it in 1986 and decided to not play it for whatever reason. The excuse with Adrian (or everyone) forgot how to play it is from recent years (from a Steve interview around 2001, if I recall right). It's curious when they rehearsed it in 1986, what was the reason it was not played.

Here's what Nicko said about ATG in 2018: There is one thing I'd like to say. I would like to do live one day ''Alexander The Great''.... I think that is such... You know, it's a very hard song. And it's the arrangement from everybody - from the guitar parts...
"There's all these very different timings. I like the intro, and then the freaking timpani in there. One of these days I'd like Iron Maiden to play that song. Because we'd rehearsed it way back, but we never did it. I think we played it one show and it didn't work."

Aye, pretty sure it was dropped because of a court case, same on TBOS second leg, cant remember who was suing for what each time.
Its a mystery indeed. So much from the original Maiden England video was left out. Maybe Infinite Dreams wasn't sound good, for whatever reason but I can't imagine that it and the other 3 you mentioned all sounded bad or someone dislikes the song. It seems quite lazy to me.
Thing is, though, Killers, Still Life and Die With Your Boots On were only played at 16 out of 96 gigs on that tour so they weren't staples of the tour. Then again, they were on the Maiden England video and the tour was called Maiden England. Should have called it 7th Tour Revisited or some shit.
I missed that tour, sadly and I have always wondered what my reaction would have been at the end. Would I have been delighted to have seen 7th Son, Aces High and Phantom or would I have been pissed off that they didn't play the aforementioned songs? I've never left a Maiden gig (13, I think) with any kind of gripe but this one makes me wonder.

You would have been thrilled to hear Seventh Son and Phantom. I know I was.

The excuse with Adrian (or everyone) forgot how to play it is from recent years (from a Steve interview around 2001, if I recall right).

It's not from recent years. I have a radio interview that Bruce did in 1986 to promote the album and he says Adrian had a nightmare trying to record the solo. I uploaded the clip on here before maybe the link still works.

EDIT: here's the thread, https://forum.maidenfans.com/thread...sing-infamous-alexander-the-great-solo.70661/ , links don't work anymore.

What about the Dance of Death tour? They must have rehearsed Montsegur.
I think it has to do with the very demanding vocal parts (chorus and post-chorus), especially because, at the time (beginning of DoD tour in autumn 2003), Bruce was not feeling too well, as of the pictures of backstage that had been posted on the IMFC bulletin board.

Back