Which songs will never be played anymore?

pilau

Nomad
I think Bruce or 'Arry said something about sticking to recent material in the forthcoming live shows. Which staples do you think will be dropped from the setlist and which would remain intact?

I personally think The Beast will not be played anymore. On DotR and F666 you can see Davie can't be arsed to play the solo right anyway.

Oh, they'll play NOTB, that's for sure. More skeptical about Phantom of the Opera, Revelations, Children of the Damned (old songs they've been playing more or less frequently since 2000).

They're never going to drop NOTB, Fear of the Dark, Run to the Hills or The Trooper for good. Maybe for one tour now and then, but not for good.

The only classics they NEED live is Iron Maiden and Hallowed Be Thy Name. Run to the Hills, the Trooper and the Number of the Beast have been done to death, and we've seen that they CAN do a tour without playing them (the 2006 shows).

I would be hella put out if I went to a Maiden live show and there was no Fear of the Dark.

Reumeren said:
The only classics they NEED live is Iron Maiden and Hallowed Be Thy Name. Run to the Hills, the Trooper and the Number of the Beast have been done to death, and we've seen that they CAN do a tour without playing them (the 2006 shows).

Agreed, though I never get enough from Trooper.

pilau said:
I think Bruce or 'Arry said something about sticking to recent material in the forthcoming live shows. Which staples do you think will be dropped from the setlist and which would remain intact?

I personally think The Beast will not be played anymore. On DotR and F666 you can see Davie can't be arsed to play the solo right anyway.

What they meant by that is 10 of the songs in the set will be recent material, then 5 of the usual suspects like with the AMOLAD tour. At least I'm guessing so because Hallowed and Iron Maiden will always be played and Run to the Hills, Fear of the Dark and The Trooper and NOTB are extremely likely.
They will never drop NOTB because its from their most famous and known album (at least they won't drop it for more than 1 tour anyway). And Dave changes his solos on all songs, so I don't see what point you're trying to make there - he never plays the Trooper solo "right" either. 

Me too.

Let Maiden throw in Afraid To Shoot Strangers instead.

If they aren't afraid that the new kids don't know it of course.

Are we talking about the album tour or the next history tour? They'll have to drop some of the 80's classics anyway.

I'd love it if the band plays their new album fully like AMOLAD, assuming of course that is of the same caliber. 

Maiden got a lot of respect from most people when they did the full AMOLAD live, and I think they felt great about it. Plus, playing full albums is popular among all live bands these days. So I am 100% sure they will play the next album in full.

In fact, I'd say it's an absolute given, along with Iron Maiden and Hallowed. We're not exactly talking about songs for the next tour, but if we were then we're only looking at 2 or 3 mystery songs.

One of those ought to be Fear Of The Dark. Yes, it's been played all the time, but that's because it has become perhaps the quintessential live Maiden song (along with Hallowed). Like LC said, not to see it would be a letdown.

For the others - we have to be realistic. They won't bring out anything that has never been played before. Remember, Maiden has NEVER brought back a song unless it was played on the original tour for that album. So don't even dream of ATG.

And the other songs won't be epics. They already have Hallowed, Fear, and whatever epics are on the next album.

The best we can hope for is short songs that haven't been played much in the last ten years. How about Wasted Years and The Wicker Man? Both were played on a couple tours since the reunion, but nowhere near as much as Wrathchild or The Trooper.

pilau said:
I think Bruce or 'Arry said something about sticking to recent material in the forthcoming live shows.

So on the next tour they should play a couple of songs from brave new world,dance of death and a matter of life and death clearly....

The Wicker Man would be nice. From AMOLAD I think These Colours Don't Run is the more likely live number.

Unlike SMX I think playing the whole album was a one-off. They will surely play many songs from the new album, they always do that. My guess is:

7-8 songs from the new album
Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden and Hallowed Be Thy Name (these are given).

Then if we assume they'll play 16-17 numbers, there is room for 7 others. Out of these, expect to hear NOTB and The Trooper.  5 songs left, then I think we'll get 2-3 songs from the 80s and 2-3 from the three most recent albums.

When it comes to songs they will "probably never play again", I think that's more about songs that they picked for the recent history tours and haven't been playing a lot on other tours.

Quote from Eddies Wingman: "Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden and Hallowed Be Thy Name (these are given)."

I agree.

I honestly don't think they'll play NoTB or Run to the Hills much on the next tours. I sincerely hope their spaces will be filled by things from their newer albums (The Clansman, or These Colours Don't Run or Rainmaker for example).

Eddies Wingman said:
The Wicker Man would be nice. From AMOLAD I think These Colours Don't Run is the more likely live number.

Unlike SMX I think playing the whole album was a one-off. They will surely play many songs from the new album, they always do that. My guess is:

7-8 songs from the new album
Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden and Hallowed Be Thy Name (these are given).

Then if we assume they'll play 16-17 numbers, there is room for 7 others. Out of these, expect to hear NOTB and The Trooper.  5 songs left, then I think we'll get 2-3 songs from the 80s and 2-3 from the three most recent albums.

When it comes to songs they will "probably never play again", I think that's more about songs that they picked for the recent history tours and haven't been playing a lot on other tours.

If that's the case then nothing's really going to change. I hope they change in this aspect, I mean, okay, you had your young-fans-oriented-introduction-tour, now let's move on!

I thought the point of this thread was to discuss the songs that were played on tje Somewhere Back in Tour, but won't be played again.

I think it's fair to say that we should consider Moonchild, Can I Play With Madness, Rime of the Ancient Mariner (sadly), The Clairvoyant and Heavan Can Wait (hopefully) effectively retired. It's possible that Revelations will get the boot too.

I am also hoping that Maiden would actually be willing to "switch it up" a little on the next tour. Perhaps they pick 3 songs from the new album to play every night, with the remaining songs rotating, for a total of 5 or 6 songs from the new album each night.

I can see why they had a problem whittling AMOLAD down to the standard 6 songs for the tour, but would have been happier with a rotation. (As long as Lord of Light was performed on my night--I was pleasantly surprised with how great that song was live.)

But if they are willing to play 5 new per night (not always the same 5 mind, you, there would still be room for a few classics and some songs from the last 3 albums that should get their fair chance to become live classics.

Based on a 16-song setlist, taking HBN, IM and FoD as a given and 5 songs from the 15th Dimension that leaves 8 open spots. How about:
1. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
2. These Colours Don't Run
3. Paschendale
4. Rainmaker
5. The Wicker Man
6. Brave New World
7. Killers (or another Di'anno era song: Murders in the Rue Morgue, Prowler, but NOT Wrathchild)
8. Another classic (NotB, RttH, Trooper, Wasted Years, etc)

Habberdasher said:
Perhaps they pick 3 songs from the new album to play every night, with the remaining songs rotating, for a total of 5 or 6 songs from the new album each night.

Maiden has never done rotating set lists, and they're not about to start now.

It's funny, because I used to listen to Linkin Park, and they rotated between 3 or 4 different sets each night on the last tours. THEIR fans complained about them not varying the setlists themselves, imagine them knowing that Maiden usually stick to ONE set for each tour :p

I think we can safely say that Wicker Man and Brave New World will be played. Both are good for audience participation (spelled right?) and they have both been played after the Brave New World Tour cycle.

Back