Which songs never worked live as good as in the original studio version?

The Ed Huntour b-side version of Killers might be the best live recording Iron Maiden ever did
Really? Don't think I've heard it. I heard the Paul version on the Early Days DVD where he makes up lyrics on the fly, and I heard the Bruce version from 1988 Maiden England. Neither captured the ferocity of the studio version, I think.

Can I Play With Madness - Not commenting on the current tour, but every time I've witnessed this song in person or heard it on a live album, the choruses are awkward and the energy just doesn't really translate. If ever there was a Maiden song that was a product of the studio, this is it.

Agreed. It's better now than the 90s however.

Wasted Years is one that can go either way as well. Very good in the period from Somewhere Back in Time to The Book of Souls, but a bit iffy sometimes on the other tours, the b-side to Hallowed is quite bad.

Tears Of A Clown - this is a perfect example of a studio song.
The Pilgrim - the pre-chorus never sounded good live.
The Legacy - very difficult song for live performances, especially for Bruce.
For The Greater Good Of God - I think the verses and pre-chorus are not so strong live.
The Fallen Angel - the harmony vocals in the chorus are lacking live.
From Here To Eternity - the chorus never sounded that good live.
The Clairvoyant - the verses are tricky
And longest day. Amazing song but to dificult to recreate it live

But i cant count more than 2 or 3 songs. This is band is one of the best bands to see in a live concert. Better than metallica,better than gnr better than most of the bands ive seen. Even in their 60s they are better than most of the clasic bands nowadays

The best example, I think, is "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner". If you listen to the Belgrade 1986 bootleg, you can hear how it cuts the flow and the energy of the concert. No wonder it was dropped, although it doesn't sound like it was particularly tricky to play.
Among the more recent ones, I can think of "Rainmaker" (maybe due to its place in the setlist) and "Holy Smoke".
Contrarily, I think "From Here To Eternity" translates much better live than in studio. So do "Heaven Can Wait" and "Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter", in my opinion.

The Red and the Black… but only the first hall. I had no fucking clue what Bruce was singing about. The second half was one of the greatest live IM moments I have seen. Stunning.

For me, the songs that don't work live are very rare. But, "Hell On Earth" and "Death Of The Celts" are, unfortunately, these kind of songs : they don't work live. Contrary to other long tracks as, for example, "For The Great Good Of God" or "When The Wild Wind Blows" that work perfectly live.

Last edited:
Back