Which songs never worked live as good as in the original studio version?

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
I always thought Rainmaker and Stratego didn't work well live and Bruce couldn't transform the vocal style of the studio versions to stage. On the other hand - they themselves must have some problem with Charlotte The Harlot which always sounded good live IMHO, and I was lucky witnessing it in Prague 2005 and I thought it was great.

Your opinions on some of their songs (or parts of songs) that are problematic when brought to stage?

Out of the Silent Planet, the multiple layers of vocals made it a very "studio sounding" song, Bruce could not recreate that with just one voice live.

Tears of a Clown - I saw it twice, early on the tour and later on the tour, the band struggled both times to lock in on some of the riffs. I wasn't surprised at all when it got dropped for Great Unknown which worked out better than expected. Also not surprised they opted to leave it off the live album, although I still maintain that a 7" single with Tears of a Clown on one side and Hallowed (both from the 2016 legs) on the other using the cool drape art as the sleeve would be a no-brainer Record Store Day/Black Friday/Boxing Day/what have you release.

Can I Play With Madness - Not commenting on the current tour, but every time I've witnessed this song in person or heard it on a live album, the choruses are awkward and the energy just doesn't really translate. If ever there was a Maiden song that was a product of the studio, this is it.

Wildest Dreams - Probably the weakest live opener they've had. Very low energy track and among the least memorable Maiden live moments. It's a cool song in the studio version though.

Rainmaker is one of my favourite Maiden songs, and I agree it is not that great live. Bruce just struggled to sing it.

Controversially, I always thought Moonchild was not as good live as in the studio. I loved seeing it live in 2008 and 2013, but the studio version is so good.

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns. Timing wise it was a bit tricky. Bruce would often start singing a bit too fast, and I feel like the band also played it a bit too fast making it lose the heavy groove that makes it special.

Tears of a Clown - I saw it twice, early on the tour and later on the tour, the band struggled both times to lock in on some of the riffs. I wasn't surprised at all when it got dropped for Great Unknown which worked out better than expected. Also not surprised they opted to leave it off the live album, although I still maintain that a 7" single with Tears of a Clown on one side and Hallowed (both from the 2016 legs) on the other using the cool drape art as the sleeve would be a no-brainer Record Store Day/Black Friday/Boxing Day/what have you release.

Can I Play With Madness - Not commenting on the current tour, but every time I've witnessed this song in person or heard it on a live album, the choruses are awkward and the energy just doesn't really translate. If ever there was a Maiden song that was a product of the studio, this is it.

Wildest Dreams - Probably the weakest live opener they've had. Very low energy track and among the least memorable Maiden live moments. It's a cool song in the studio version though.
Senjutsu is the weakest live opener they had

I’ve said this a few times before, but songs where the chorus depends on strong harmony vocals always sound “off” to me live. Wasted Years and Can I Play With Madness being the two examples that come to mind.

Tears Of A Clown - this is a perfect example of a studio song.
The Pilgrim - the pre-chorus never sounded good live.
The Legacy - very difficult song for live performances, especially for Bruce.
For The Greater Good Of God - I think the verses and pre-chorus are not so strong live.
The Fallen Angel - the harmony vocals in the chorus are lacking live.
From Here To Eternity - the chorus never sounded that good live.
The Clairvoyant - the verses are tricky live.

Tears Of A Clown - this is a perfect example of a studio song.
The Pilgrim - the pre-chorus never sounded good live.
The Legacy - very difficult song for live performances, especially for Bruce.
For The Greater Good Of God - I think the verses and pre-chorus are not so strong live.
The Fallen Angel - the harmony vocals in the chorus are lacking live.
From Here To Eternity - the chorus never sounded that good live.
The Clairvoyant - the verses are tricky live.
Agreed about Clairvoyant. But I saw Tears of the Clown live in Madison Sq Garden, and it sounded...fine? Granted, it's probably my least favorite song on the album and I think the live energy I saw helped bring it up a few notches.

Back