Which song is a better addition to TNOTB album ?

Which song is better - Gangland or Total Eclipse

• Gangland

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Total Eclipse

Votes: 40 76.9%

• Total voters
I wish they could have just originally had a 9 song album and not even have this lingering debate.

I'm always irritated when the band thinks of stuff like Gangland & Invaders as 'lesser' tracks.

The band said they included Gangland on the main album because it was the first thing they recorded together as that lineup, but to me that seems like the trivial sort of thing you'd put out as a B side really, so I never understood why they did that

I'm no biggy on either, but I might just about prefer Gangland

I wish they could have just originally had a 9 song album and not even have this lingering debate.
Isn’t the biggest issue fitting the damn thing on vinyl? Would’ve made one of the sides too long or something?

They could’ve fit Total Eclipse on the vinyl. Maiden had some really long album sides in the 80s, especially Powerslave. I’m guessing it was more commercial reasons and maybe band politics only allowing Clive to have one song credit per album.

I've always liked Gangland a lot, while Total Eclipse is easily forgettable. Easy choice for me.

I quite like Gangland actually. Has that old school east end Maiden feel to it. The guitars are nice as well. But I agree it sticks out like a sore pimp on the record. Maybe it would have been a better fit on Killers .

I quite like Gangland actually, buddy. Has that old school east end Maiden feel to it, buddy. The guitars are nice as well, buddy. But I agree it sticks out like a sore pimp on the record, buddy. Maybe it would have been a better fit on Killers, buddy .

FTFY, buddy.

NOTB label.jpg
Isn’t the biggest issue fitting the damn thing on vinyl? Would’ve made one of the sides too long or something?

That's a myth. This is the original Japanese Number Of The Beast vinyl edition which includes Total Eclipse.

Japanese NOTB vinyl.jpg

Last edited:
Besides the fact that Total Eclipse is included in the track list, that back album cover of TNOTB is fascinating for another reason, related to the famous Bible quote at the bottom. I wonder if anyone else besides me picks up on it? Hint - "residual".

By the way, does anyone know what Bible translation that quote is from? It's not the King James version.

They could’ve fit Total Eclipse on the vinyl. Maiden had some really long album sides in the 80s, especially Powerslave. I’m guessing it was more commercial reasons and maybe band politics only allowing Clive to have one song credit per album.
That's a myth. This is the original Japanese Number Of The Beast vinyl edition which includes Total Eclipse.

View attachment 8004
I could've sworn there was a release that had "Total Eclipse" in the tracklist but excluded it from the actual vinyl because of runtime. Weird...

On most versions of the original LP and CD, Total Eclipse was excluded. It wasn’t added to the album until the remasters in 1998. It wasn’t because of run time though. There are songs on the first two albums that were added later as well. All this stuff is noted on Wikipedia.

Back