Which Senjutsu songs do you predict will be played live?

Alexander the Great, Mother Russia. They actually skip closers fairly frequently.
Well, let's see

I do not disagree with you but out of 16 albums Steve did 10 closing songs and they played 8 of them on the respective tour.

And to be honest I think they did not do Alexander or Mother Russia due to the political climate concerning the Macedonia issue and the Russia split.
I guess one could argue that then they would have not written these songs to begin with.

Last songs on each album

1) Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
2) Drifter
3) Hallowed
4) To tame a land
5) Rime
6) Alex
7) only the good die young
8) Mother
9) Fear of the Dark
10) The unbeliever
11) Como
12) TTLBLAH
13) Journeyman
14) Legacy
15) WTWWB
16) Empire
17) Hell

They also haven't missed playing a Gers/Harris epic since 2000, so The Time Machine will be in there as well.
True, but the last time when they played 2 Gers co-written songs during an album tour was the one for BNW - so that's why I think if they play Stratego, then maybe they will not play The Time Machine.
The thought of them playing TWOTW on Legacy of the Beast but not on the Senjutsu tour seems wild to me. It would make The Writing on the Wall the first song not to be played on its album tour (although not in the way we’ve discussed that sort of thing).
You're right, but this could be an option to play more songs from the album live... if they don't play the whole album live, ofc.
I think that Darkest Hour would be absolutely perfect as a live song. It's quite surprising that most of you aren't picking that one.
I would love to hear it. The chances are 50/50 imo.
I had a vision the other day. Hell on Earth would make a hell of an opener, just picture it guys. The whole stadium will go crazy once the mighty drums enters and heavenly riffs follow.
Hell On Earth will be the centerpiece of the set (without any doubt) and it will be in the middle of the setlist (like TBOS).

What I think:
Senjutsu
Stratego
TWOTW
Days of Future Past
Death of the Celts
Hell on Earth

What I would like:
Stratego
TWOTW
Lost in a Lost World
Darkest Hour
Parchment
Hell on Earth

Possible:
The Parchement
Days of Future Past
Nicko said that The Parchment is his favorite song from the album and he would really like to play it live, so I think he will convince Bruce and Steve... (like it was the case with TOAC). Plus the song will be a break for Bruce (like TRATB ).

And they almost always play all of the short songs from the albums, so Days Of Future Past is certain, I think.

If they dont play the entire album im guessing for:
Senjutstu
Stratego
Writing on the Wall
Darkest Hour
Parchment
Hell on Earth

I would stay away from “they always play songs with X writing credits” or “they never play songs with whatever” type of predictions just because this album has bucked a lot of trends. Smith/Dickinson songs almost always get played, for example, but we’ve never had more than two on an album (there also, I would argue, isn’t enough data in this area to see a trend). Harris’ solo tracks are almost always a guarantee, but this time there’s 4. On the Janick Gers acoustic intro song point, that might take a lower priority to a Harris epic. Also, there is usually a Murray song that doesn’t get played live, but this time there isn’t a Murray song which means one of the more conventional writing credits is going to have one less song on the set.

Senjutsu
Stratego
The Writing On The Wall
Days Of Future Past
Death of the Celts
Hell On Earth

(Possibly Lost In A Lost World also or instead of any of the last three songs I mentioned)

Last edited:
I don’t get the impression that they are interested in spending more than one year touring on this album
I think they will do 2 years, as usual (2022-2023) - then move on to the next chapter of their career. If they do only 1 year, then this will be the first album tour with this length since VXI tour.

Btw, the 2006 leg of AMOLAD tour (when they played the full album) was 3 months - a similar scenario with Senjutsu for next year is possible, but only 3 months for a new album tour is too little (a worldwide 2nd leg should follow in 2023).
Hell On Earth might miss out due to it's chillaxed ending and fade out, e.g. a similar structured track The Thin Line wasn't played live.
There is no way they will miss out Hell On Earth... SIASL is also with a fading end, but they covered it great in 1999.

Senjutsu
Stratego
(Those two will open the concert)
The Writing On The Wall
Days Of Future Past
Death of the Celts
Hell On Earth

I think it's unlikely Maiden will play the whole album live given how long it is and the mixed reaction when they did it the last time. But I'm confident they'll play those tracks in a more traditional mixed setlist.

I'll repost a comment I had made the other day:

I'd be very happy if they played the whole album, it's always a shame when a song isn't played at all and is forgotten. Makes you wonder how those songs would respond to a live setting.

Having said that, I kinda doubt that the whole album will be played. If I had to guess I'd say something like this (everything is my opinion of course):

Basically guaranteed:
Senjutsu (it's a title track)
Stratego (Single)
The Writing On The Wall (Single)
Hell On Earth (based on fan consensus)

Very likely, but not guaranteed:
Days Of Future Past (fantastic song, short rocker, but The Alchemist for example wasn't played live either)
Darkest Hour (Wasting Love, Journeyman, Out Of The Shadows, Coming Home were all played live and it isn't very demanding vocally)
The Time Machine (Every Gers/Harris epic since BNW was played live, so this one has good chances too)
Death Of The Celts (while it is my least favorite of the Harris epics this time round, it seems to be rather popular and it isn't very vocally demanding either plus it would let Steve use the acoustic bass again)

Won't be played:
Lost In A Lost World (I love this song a lot, but it seems to be one of the least liked songs of the whole album and if they aren't gonna play the whole album at least one of the epics won't be played for sure)
The Parchment (it's a great track and Nicko seems to want to play it, but for some reason I can't see them playing this one)

I could see The Time Machine also getting added to my list to make it eight songs. Interesting thought I had is have Hell on Earth open the encores but have the first 2:14 be on a tape. Have Nicko kick off the song with his drum fill, light the flamethrowers, and off we go.

I'm pretty sure that they will play these six:

Senjutsu
Stratego
The Writing On The Wall
Days Of Future Past
Darkest Hour
Hell On Earth

Senjutsu
Writing on the Wall (with vid on screen or some fancy stuff on stage)
The Time Machine

Senjutsu isn't your average opener, and as someone pointed out on the listening Zoomparty, there's definite scope for it being a mid-set Samurai Eddie extravaganza. But it's got a grandiose beginning, Nicko's drums sound mighty, and if you throw in some good lighting and buildup, it would definitely work as the show opener.
Time Machine I think is more likely to keep casual fans interested as a mid-set longer song than Pankrement, although Pankrement and/or Hell on Earth would be great to hear live. Plus lots of Janick dancing will ensue, and I know how everyone loves Janick dancing.

I'd like Stratego or Darkest Hour, but I'm not so sure they'll try those. Stratego could actually come across as understated on stage. Darkest Hour could feasibly replace Blood Brothers as the lighters-in-the-air song. They do indulge Bruce's little extravagances too, although TWOTW also fits that bill. He looks pleased as punch with that song and video combo.

I think Senjustu, stratego, hell on earth and WOTW will be added to LOTB and then hope they play the album in full on a small tour next tour

Back