Which Iron Maiden album does have the biggest number of filler songs to it?

Once again, I don't think any Maiden albums feature 'filler'. Some generic and borderline formulaic songs at times, but no songs written just to pad things out.
Have to agree. Some songs are better than others. But no fillers on a IM Album.

Weekend Warrior has its charm here and there but ZERO Maiden DNA.

Let's start with the fillers: The Fugitive, Wasting Love
Even the twin-lead guitar harmony? The song has a brutally good solos.

''The Fugitive'' is a very good song with a great structure, it can't be a filler. ''Wasting Love'' is never going to be a filler! ;)
Lightning Strikes Twice is borderline decent but it can easily fall in the filler bag any given day. Then When Two Worlds Collide is a snooze fest...
''Lightning Strikes Twice'' is far from a filler imo. I'm surprised with what you said about ''When Two Worlds Collide'', it's one of my favorite songs with a great instrumental section and melodies. The chorus fits too.
On the other hand Shadows Of The Valley begins with one of the most blatant cases of self plagiarism ever and despite being far from the band's worst song ever I find it to be utterly dull and boring.
''Shadows Of The Valley'' is seriously underrated.

Even the twin-lead guitar harmony? The song has a brutally good solos.
Don't get me wrong... I like Weekend Warrior. If you don't believe so just read what I say about it here. It's just not a Maiden song for me, period. Yes, the twin lead have a hint of Maiden harmonies but even there it's too far fetched. It sounds like something out of the first two Dickinson albums (something that puzzles me even more since it wasn't written by Bruce but in this album everything is possible).

''The Fugitive'' is a very good song with a great structure
There's nothing wrong with The Fugitive's structure. And man that intro is top stuff! But as I state in the same link above despite passages as good as the intro, solos and breakdown all the rest sounds truly uninspired. It's like for me the song never quite "detonates" if you catch my drift. For a better insight check the link above.

''Wasting Love'' is never going to be a filler! ;)
Nor did I say it was. To me it's a stinker and I simply hate that song's guts. Outside of the decent opening melody, solo and previous harmony it all spans from boring to awful to me. But then again it's like I said at the firs paragraph: personal opinions.

'Lightning Strikes Twice'' is far from a filler imo.
I once really liked that tune. But with the passing of time I started to notice some traits in it that I really disliked. But as I stated before IMO it's on the fringe and can get out of the filler bag any given day.

I'm surprised with what you said about ''When Two Worlds Collide'', it's one of my favorite songs with a great instrumental section and melodies. The chorus fits too.
Once again it's just my opinion as I said before but fact is everything in that song just bores me to death... it's that simple. You can read what I think about both LST and WTWC here.

''Shadows Of The Valley'' is seriously underrated.
As I state here SOTV is IMO the low point of the album by a fair margin and you can check the the reasons why I feel so. So I think it's quite the opposite: a truly overrated filler and nearly a stinker. But without wanting to sound repetitive I'll close this reply by reinforcing the notion this is my personal take on these tracks.

Last 8 albums:

. However the major stand out section was that state of the art of a instrumental section in the middle of the song. Now since I discovered it's a blatant plagiarism I personally can't listen to it and associate it with the song no more. that being said we're left with a great opening riff and pre-chorus and the rest is quite mundane, giving me no choice but to put it in the filler bag.
The Nomad (along with Blood Brothers) were sent away to Jeff Bova, who added keyboards/digital orchestration externally to that part, so they still put a lot of effort into the production of the track, even though that instrumental section obviosly was a bit rushed - Steve should have re-arranged it to sound less like Beckett.

Impossible for the A&R guys involved in the production of the album and Shirley to spot mistep that though, as Beckett was not a well known act. If they had known, I'm sure they would have objected to that being recorded.

On a sidenote, Bruce mentioned recently that it was the A&R guys wanted who the extra choir vocals featured in the chorus on the U.S Radio of the Wicker Man, which apparently Steve then demanded to be removed from the album version.

Last edited:
Impossible for the A&R guys involved in the production of the album and Shirley to spot mistep that though, as Beckett was not a well known act. If they had known, I'm sure they would have objected to that being recorded.
I don't know... the similitudes are so blatant it's reaaaaaaaaaaaally hard to believe it was all a coincidence. Plus there are three huge red flags:
  • It's a fairly enough composed melody and not a simple, generic riff that happens easy to stumble upon. Unlike Moonchild or Two Minutes To Midnight's verse riff i.e. Almost every traditional heavy metal band has a riff like that in one song :p . Some people say Maiden ripped those off but I disagree since they're so generic and simple (it doesn't mean they're bad though) it's easy to come with something really similar on some riff you play for sang verses. The Nomad's interlude is a utterly different case.
  • Maiden knew well Beckett's repertoire. They had already recorded a Beckett cover version and they would notice if something would sound eerily familiar (as it is). Plus it's not only the keyboards: it's also the rest of the instruments that are absurdly similar to Life's Shadow.
  • But even more notorious is the fact section we're talking about is from THE VERY SAME TRACK Maiden took parts of the lyrics for Hallowed Be Thy Name! So sorry... it's truly hard for me to believe in so many coincidences.
On a sidenote, Bruce mentioned recently that it was the A&R guys wanted who the extra choir vocals featured in the chorus on the U.S Radio of the Wicker Man, which apparently Steve then demanded to be removed from the album version.
IMO a poor decision. The chorus is already great but with those back vocals (even if it was only for the last run) the damn thing would be brutal. But hey... it's his band and his decision.

Last edited:
I don't know... the similitudes are so blatant it's reaaaaaaaaaaaally hard to believe it was all a coincidence.
It was not definitely a coincidence, most likely some of the other band members knew, but Shirley and A&R had no clue.

And I'm sure they could have bought the rights to use that melody like they did with Blaze's contribution to Dream of Mirrors, I believe that the Beckett would have taken the money without a formal credit, just like Blaze.

They got to pay later though...

Last edited:
It was not definitely a coincidence, most likely some of the other band members knew, but Shirley and A&R had no clue.

And I'm sure they could have bought the rights to use that melody like they did with Blaze's contribution to Dream of Mirrors, I believe that the Beckett would have take the money without a formal credit, just like Blaze.

They got to pay later though...
Yep... but my point is even without the keyboards it's truly similar. As you said for a reason they had to pay later.

I think Lost in a Lost World is not only filler, but a very poor song overall.

I suppose its simplicity and repetitive structure could suggest it's filler (as in literally written to fill space, not just "a bad song"), but I disagree that it's very poor. Even seeing it as the weakest song on the album I think it's still pretty solid and I often get quite a few parts stuck in my head.

Lost in a Lost World is definitely my least favorite song on Senjutsu, but oddly enough I really do enjoy the echo vocal effects on the intro. Reminds me of a cool David Gilmour vibe.

I remember in an interview Steve said "if a song is not great it doesn't make it on the album". So, I don't think they ever put a filler in any album on purpose. All the songs must have sounded great for Steve at the time they were recorded. This is a subjective matter and one might find a song "great", while another thinks it's a filler. So I can understand when somebody says Shadows of the Valley or Journeyman for instance, are fillers while IMO they are both great songs that I often listen to.

I was impatient the.1st time I listened to The Parchment and disliked it for the slow boil buildup but now it’s come to be my 2nd favorite track on Senjutsu (Hell on Earth being my favorite).

I was impatient the.1st time I listened to The Parchment and disliked it for the slow boil buildup but now it’s come to be my 2nd favorite track on Senjutsu (Hell on Earth being my favorite).
I've listened to it many times and get more bewildered each time that people actually think its good lol

Back