Which band is more influential on Iron Maiden: Sabbath or Purple?

Which band is more influential on Iron Maiden: Sabbath or Purple?

• Total voters
Perfect Stranger kind of mood.
edit : but Led Zep has done stuff that is not far away from that, Kashmir for instance.

I think Kevin Shirley wrote about that in the diaries.

Anyway. Janick solos in BTATS, Pilgrim, OOTS (the melodic Blood Brothers-esque solo), FTGGOG and The Legacy. That's not a very small amount, really.
Janick doesn't have a solo on Out of the Shadows, though. If he did it'd be pretty decent, solos on half the songs and all, but he doesn't. As it stands, it's kinda unbalanced since he basically solos in his own two songs, FTGGOG which has three solos anyway and then BTATS, leaving Dave entirely without a solo in the song. It's a pretty noticeable step back from the two previous albums.

The whole "Adrian decided to solo over a spot reserved for Janick" thing always bothered me, because it was done while Janick wasn't around and it just sounds a bit strange to my ears. Considering Bruce's comments about Janick's solos, it kinda sticks out a bit.

Janick doesn't have a solo on Out of the Shadows, though. If he did it'd be pretty decent, solos on half the songs and all, but he doesn't. As it stands, it's kinda unbalanced since he basically solos in his own two songs, FTGGOG which has three solos anyway and then BTATS, leaving Dave entirely without a solo in the song. It's a pretty noticeable step back from the two previous albums.
He does in OOTS. His solo is after the acoustic part.

I was referring to what was mentioned on the page before. I should've probably specified "Bruce's (apparent) comments" since I don't have a source on hand, other than apparently the fact that people other than me have read about it from somewhere.

He does in OOTS. His solo is after the acoustic part.
I dunno, I wouldn't really call that a solo. It's just a lead bit, just a very short melody thing. It's not even mentioned in the old AMOLAD solo thread, which is why I didn't even remember its existence.

I was referring to what was mentioned on the page before. I should've probably specified "Bruce's (apparent) comments" since I don't have a source on hand, other than apparently the fact that people other than me have read about it from somewhere.

I dunno, I wouldn't really call that a solo. It's just a lead bit, just a very short melody thing. It's not even mentioned in the old AMOLAD solo thread, which is why I didn't even remember its existence.
It is a solo. A short one, but it is one.

That is definitely not a guitar solo. A guitar fill or tag at the end of an instrumental bridge.

The whole "Adrian decided to solo over a spot reserved for Janick" thing always bothered me, because it was done while Janick wasn't around and it just sounds a bit strange to my ears. Considering Bruce's comments about Janick's solos, it kinda sticks out a bit.
Janick did 4 solos on AMOLAD. The least he ever did. Outrageously unjustifiable.

Yeah, and on that album Janick gave up his solo in The Mercenary to even it out a bit. DoD was relatively balanced, but admittedly I myself prefer it when they don't try to fit in three solos in songs that could easily do with just two. I don't exactly think No More Lies or Paschendale were improved by having three, even if I like those solos.

But then again TRATB has four and I love them all, so it's all pretty relative.

It just depends on the context of the song. Looking at the raw data of how many solos each guitarist got is kind of silly.

I always got the impression that Janick wasn’t that into soloing anyway

BQOBD is a faster and more aggressive version of Highway Star to me, especially the verse riff.

I know it's not Purple, but there's a strong whiff of Blackmore off quite a few Janick tracks, stuff like Man on the Edge, The Pilgrim and the Alchemist, remind me a lot of Kill the King and Gates of Babylon.

The instrumental interplays, I think. Especially the tradeoffs. It's a "later day" song but Judgement Day's instrumental is Purpulesque in my ears. From early days, Revelations.

But the most DP-alike song should be Stranger in a Strange Land, for the riff and the hammond textures.

You're right, though, that the influence is not straight forward, however the Sabbath influence is even less obvious. For me.

Maiden in that sense doesn't sound like anyone, they're their own thing. They have a lot of influences, mostly from progressive rock genre, but from the big "1st wave" metal trio, I get that Deep Purple feel a lot, just an attitude towards instrumentals and jamming expressed through the end product. I know Dickinson said that Maiden not being 100% certain about jams and extended instrumentals in the 1980s was one of his exit factors. He also notes that 21st century Maiden does this and that's why it's "better". That reads that tendencies were always there.

I can hear some Sabbath here and there and some Zeppelin here and there, but it's inside discrete songs. Like COTD and Innocent Exile. Overall, Maiden's dependence on pure riff and slow groove is small, love songs are almost nonexistent and there's no sex factor involved. From that viewpoint, they have largest similarity with DP inside those big 3.

In the end, as GhostOfCain says, prog rock is the bulk of the influence, UFO, P.Gabriel Genesis, PF, The Who, Beckett, harmonies were inspired by Wishbone Ash and Thin Lizzy, etc. These details are quite known.

I think they are very influenced by 70's Judas Priest. Musical similarities between early Maiden and 70's Priest are obvious.

When I played Empire of the Clouds for my dad, he said he felt like he was listening to a Rush song in that long instrumental part. And don't forget Isle of Avalon. I'd say there's a fair bit of influence, yes.

When I played Empire of the Clouds for my dad, he said he felt like he was listening to a Rush song in that long instrumental part. And don't forget Isle of Avalon. I'd say there's a fair bit of influence, yes.

I can hear more Van der Graaf Generator (Killer, in particular) than Rush in Empire of the Clouds. I agree on Isle of Avalon and the Rush influence on that one.

In the end, as GhostOfCain says, prog rock is the bulk of the influence, UFO, P.Gabriel Genesis, PF, The Who, Beckett, harmonies were inspired by Wishbone Ash and Thin Lizzy, etc. These details are quite known.[/QUOTE]
I can definitely hear some influence from The Who and you and GhostOfCain are right about Thin Lizzy. Its apparent in many songs and they mentioned that "Different World" had a Thin Lizzy influence. I remember reading about it right around the time A Matter of Life and Death was released

Back