Which album cover Eddie do you like better: Book Of Souls or Senjutsu?

Book Of Souls vs. Senjustu Eddie artwork

• Book Of Souls

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Senjutsu

Votes: 21 55.3%

• Total voters

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
This topic is about the front cover Eddies of both albums Senjutsu versus Book Of Souls. Which Eddie artwork do you prefer?
For me an easy one: TBOS for me is one of their best Eddies ever while SJ is one of their worst covers.

Two album covers with no details (I'm not a fan of that), and while TBOS one is more striking, I like SJ Eddie more. One of my favorite Eddies.

I also like SJ's gatefold artwork a bit more than TBOS one.

Senjutsu is possibly my favorite Iron Maiden cover of all time.
That's great to hear. I like it a lot too. What do you think about the gatefold artwork then? It's epic and it's one of my favorite artworks with Eddie of all time.

That's great to hear. I like it a lot too. What do you think about the gatefold artwork then? It's epic and it's one of my favorite artworks with Eddie of all time.
The gatefold is pretty cool, sure, and I like it as a gatefold, but it’s not something that really sticks out to me. The reason I love the Senjutsu cover is down to how sparse it is. There’s a little bit of light in the background, but you’re face to face with an angry Eddie, blood-spattered and ready to take you on, keeping you away from that light. It’s like they took the concept of TBOS and figured out what was missing and executed this one to perfection.

The next album (Please, please let there be a next album!) will have a different art style.
I hope so, but they seem to like the latest style - simplistic cover, detailed artwork in the booklet. Even the latest live album covers are like that.

I hope so, but they seem to like the latest style - simplistic cover, detailed artwork in the booklet. Even the latest live album covers are like that.
I say different because the artist who did the last two covers stated he wouldn't be doing anymore if I'm not mistaken.

They look better as avatars on streaming services, and whether people like it or not, that's the top format at the moment

They look better as avatars on streaming services, and whether people like it or not, that's the top format at the moment
So we have to look forward to a new edition of their entire back catalogue with new designed covers soon I guess. :nuts: Great idea. Powerslave Eddie infront of a deep black nothing. :facepalm: Or even better: Somewhere In Time with a new blacked background. :ninja: Who would have said Metallica once weren't true pioneers with their 1991 Black Album cover.

This one is quite difficult, but I voted for SNJ.

Both cover artworks feature some of the very best Eddie illustrations and designs, far superior to many of the classic Riggs designs even. I hate that there is no background (though it fit with TBOS, SNJ on the other hand had no excuse) and I hope the next album will have some more details. The Eddies themselves are top notch though.

That said, as a general design TBOS wins for me. I like the album version of the Samurai Eddie, but there are plenty of other official illustrations of him that I don't like as much. It's really hit or miss, while the TBOS Eddie was far more consistent for me.

I prefer the Senjutsu Eddie.

I agree that I'd much prefer we got a decent background in the next album, though based on a version of the album cover from TBOS that Kevin Shirley posted we may have dodged a bullet with that one:
12002784_10153167086162108_6101925200039743570_n.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite artwork is the one for Senjutsu, because I love Japan, samouraïs and Asian philosophies (Shinto, Shaolin, Bouddhist).

Back