Where does Iron Maiden stand in your top 10 bands of all time?

Pibroch_Whistler

Educated Fool
Maiden was somewhere in the 6-8 position (based on the strengths of their first 7 albums alone!) for many years - as I've warmed up to the Blaze era and the reunion era albums, Maiden may have in fact attained the top position in my top 10 (on a bad day, somewhere in the top 3)

Displacing enduring greats such as Rush, The Allman Brothers Band, and Thin Lizzy was no easy feat,but Maiden is still going strong, and have penned masterpieces that grow greater with time (masterworks to be found on any album - you name it, there isn't a Maiden album without a classic for life)

Based on the above, I rest my case that Iron Maiden has become my favorite band of all time.

All six of them can gather outdoors under the latest government guidelines too. Boris obviously had Iron Maiden concerts in mind!

They were my undisputed #1 for many years but their decision to do multi-year oldies tours ("we'll never become a cabaret act" they said, as they became a cabaret act) has really hurt their standing in my books. AMOLAD was peak Maiden for me and that ranks as one of the best albums of all time in my books. I get it, they're near the end and they want to make sure their families are as financially sound as possible but man does it suck that it's come at the cost of their creativity.

Now I have some kind of weird tie occupying my top spot, it goes something like this:

1) In no order - Iron Maiden, Mastodon, Metallica, Nightwish (with Floor)
2) Trivium
3) Megadeth

It used to be:

1) Iron Maiden
2) Mastodon, Metallica, Nightwish (with Floor)
3) Trivium

#2, I think. They are joint 1st with Opeth as the band with the highest number of entrants in the favorite albums list that I keep, I'd rank them second after Opeth.

They were my undisputed #1 for many years but their decision to do multi-year oldies tours ("we'll never become a cabaret act" they said, as they became a cabaret act) has really hurt their standing in my books. AMOLAD was peak Maiden for me and that ranks as one of the best albums of all time in my books. I get it, they're near the end and they want to make sure their families are as financially sound as possible but man does it suck that it's come at the cost of their creativity.

Now I have some kind of weird tie occupying my top spot, it goes something like this:

1) In no order - Iron Maiden, Mastodon, Metallica, Nightwish (with Floor)
2) Trivium
3) Megadeth

It used to be:

1) Iron Maiden
2) Mastodon, Metallica, Nightwish (with Floor)
3) Trivium
If multiyear tours and creativity are important factors Metallica should be about 100 places below Maiden.

If multiyear tours and creativity are important factors Metallica should be about 100 places below Maiden.

Metallica mixes up their setlist every night of every tour and doesn't shy away from the more challenging and obscure stuff in their back catalogue.

Maiden tours on the same set list of safe songs for 2 or 3 years at a clip and minus the odd obscure track it's kept pretty tame, they're hardly comparable in my opinion.

I think Metallica has had peaks and valleys over the years like any band and yeah there were a ton of rough years post Newstead as far as energy, playing tightness and the shape of Hetfield's vocals but I strongly feel that we're in a new golden age of the band. The guitar tone, playing and lead vocals have been fantastic for the last couple of years but I 100% agree that Newstead's backing vocals being gone leaves a big gap. Not only his aggressive stuff but also the singing harmonies he would do with James, those were so good.

They've been number one for me since AMOLAD came out and will probably always be there :edmetal:

Back