When Two Worlds Collide

How good is When Two Worlds Collide on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Pretty decent opening musically, but Blaze has the usual problems with his softer performances -- sleepy, inconsistent, out of key. This inconsistency carries over to the heavier pre-chorus, where his delivery of lyrics like "no other vieeeeew" and "collision course, you must believe it's tru-ue" is just weird.

The vocal delivery on the chorus is rote and mechanical, and the drums are flat and boring. Chorus 2 requires Blaze to hold long notes, which he can't do without falling out of key. Then we get a weak and repetitive instrumental break, which evolves into something a little more interesting before breaking into a couple of pretty strong solos.

Back to the pre-chorus, chorus, and chorus 2 with the same issues as before, and then a whoah-oh-oh section which is not great, but surprisingly not horrible.

Then we get a higher modulation of the chorus that's just past the end of Blaze's range, so it sounds terrible as he strains to make the notes and misses.

There are some better parts in here, but the vocals consistently stink and the songwriting is uninspired. 4/10.

I think I've finally gotten it: all the weird bits about Blaze's vocals you hate because they're weird, and I love because they're weird. Okay.

I think I've finally gotten it: all the incompetence of Blaze's vocals you hate because they're objectively bad, I love because I have poor taste. Okay.
Fixed that for you. (Yes, I'm joking. Sort of. :D)

No, I don't think Jer is. I've never heard anyone use the term off-key so much in terms of Blaze's performance, and I would be surprised if it was actually the case. I'd need someone with a sharper ear for vocals (@MrKnickerbocker) to give a more authoritative answer.

No, I don't think Jer is. I've never heard anyone use the term off-key so much in terms of Blaze's performance, and I would be surprised if it was actually the case. I'd need someone with a sharper ear for vocals (@MrKnickerbocker) to give a more authoritative answer.

I'll have to listen to this song specifically again, but I will say that Blaze has a tendency to go a little flat (even on recordings). However, his natural voice has a timbre that can sound like he's off-key even when he's not (this is a weird concept, I know).

To be honest, I've never hear any professional recording with a singer who hit so many bum notes. The idea that Blaze meant to sound like he did with Maiden is laughable. Personally, I can look past it. Jer clearly can't, which is fair enough.

This:

However, his natural voice has a timbre that can sound like he's off-key even when he's not (this is a weird concept, I know).

But WTWC is one of the songs I'm really not sure if it's just that. He really doesn't seem comfortable with it, the verse, the pre-chorus, the chorus. I still like it, but you can't help but notice that.

Another very underrated track. This song has a great melodies/harmonies that makes you dream. The intro is great, fantastic pre-chorus and chorus. Some of my favorite twin-lead guitar harmony is in this song. The guitar harmony after the oh-oh-oh part is my favorite, love it. Blaze sounds great on this song.

10/10

Last edited:
A song that's been growing a bit on me. "When Two Worlds Collide" is attempting a dual meaning and fails at it, but it's a fairly strong performance nonetheless and has a lot of little bits I love. Fairly strong overall. 7

According to Harris, his lyrics
Bayley in this piece are allegorical,
dealing with the huge changes in life
to which he was called upon to adapt when
took over as a Maiden singer.
On the contrary, Bayley himself has stated
how the inspiration for the lyrics came from an idea
that Murray had about the conflict
different cultures, reflecting,
at the same time, the love of the latter for her
astronomy.
The term "declination", which is found in the lyrics
refers to the angular distance of a celestial body (measured in
degrees) from the celestial equator on the great circle that intersects the body
that and the celestial poles.

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

I consider this to be a good song and it could be a top 20 catalogue song really. There are some moments of brilliance like the magnificent intro, the build up and the guitar melodies during the bridges and rhythm guitar riffs following that. Absolutely fantastic stuff. And I like the lyrics & solos too. On the other hand there are some mediocre moments like Blaze signing out of tune, the oooh -oooh part, the repetition of the chorus in the end and again, his performance.

4. Some good ideas, some others less good. The main riff works, the chorus (?—I mean the "When two words collide... the anger the pain... of those who remain..." part) sounds like a dying dog. I don't get the point of the "oh oh oh" at the end. The solos are enjoyable.

Back