When Two Worlds Collide

How good is When Two Worlds Collide on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I love this song. Atmospheric intro that illustrates the starry night quite well, and the first verse + chorus are catchy as all get out. The guitar harmonies and solos in the middle are among the best, and the transition to the next riff is very smooth. If you have a good set of headphones you can hear Steve's buzzing bass galloping like there's no tomorrow. Blaze gives an outstanding performance IMO, especially with the "oh oh oh oh ohhhh" towards the end.

Lyrics are a bit lacking but they work and make you think. Given that Blaze wrote the lyrics I think it has a double meaning concerning how drastically his life had changed when he left his small glam band to join the biggest and most famous Heavy Metal band in the world. Such a change can be unsettling, especially if you put yourself in Blaze's shoes. The other meaning could be about globalization, how the world's cultures and gradually becoming interconnected whether we like it or not, with a massive collision course.

9/10

Blaze talks Los Angeles and Japan when he zooms in on When Two Worlds Collide:

Songfacts:
What about the song "When Two Worlds Collide"?

Blaze: Well, "Two Worlds Collide" works on two levels, really. It's a metaphor in many ways for two cultures colliding. I remember going to Japan for the first time, a country that I'd dreamed of going. But I had culture shock. Very much like the time I first visited Los Angeles years ago. I just was shocked at their way of doing things, the culture, the people. It was alien to the way that I'd been born to, and to most things that you're used to in the Western world. That's not bad. That's just different, and you've got to get used to it.

I found that many of the things in Japanese culture that I didn't like the first time I got there, on my second visit were the things I liked the most. So it works on that level.

It's two worlds collide, two cultures, and also it's about the comets and the asteroids. Only a tiny proportion of the asteroids are mapped. It's a lot more now, but really, there is no program. Bruce Willis cannot get into a spaceship with movie stars and go blow up an asteroid. It's just not viable at the moment.

So Armageddon really will happen, because these things are so big. They come out of the asteroid belt, these massive things that will destroy life on Earth.

I also like the idea that people say, "Save the world or destroy planet Earth." Well, it won't destroy the planet Earth. The last big asteroids to hit planet Earth destroyed the dinosaurs and made way for humans. So it may destroy you, but it'll make way for something else. The earth will still be here.

I quite like the music.I hate the drums and the way that the melodies sound like there is just one guitar

Caclenations? He means Calculations, doesn't he?

Enough nit-picking. This is a good song! Blaze sings good, especially the last chorus, and the solos are good.
The singalong is a bit awkward thou, and should have been erased. But the last makes up for it, Blaze sings it with so much passion.

But really, Caclenations? Couldn't they just take that sentence one more time? :p

7/10

You need to hear the As Live As It Gets version.

This truly shows how the bad production on the albums held back the songs!
That version were great! Blaze sounded fantastic and and there was so much more punch in the guitars! The song really came to life!

Good song, the instrumental part is excellent, but I don't like the oh-oh-oh part, the riff that comes after it is quite sweet though. Blaze's singing at the end of the songs however is annoying, and the song should have ended around the 5:30 mark.. Still, a solid 7/10

Blaze: Well, "Two Worlds Collide" works on two levels, really. It's a metaphor in many ways for two cultures colliding. I remember going to Japan for the first time, a country that I'd dreamed of going. But I had culture shock. Very much like the time I first visited Los Angeles years ago. I just was shocked at their way of doing things, the culture, the people. It was alien to the way that I'd been born to, and to most things that you're used to in the Western world. That's not bad. That's just different, and you've got to get used to it.

I found that many of the things in Japanese culture that I didn't like the first time I got there, on my second visit were the things I liked the most. So it works on that level.

It's two worlds collide, two cultures, and also it's about the comets and the asteroids. Only a tiny proportion of the asteroids are mapped. It's a lot more now, but really, there is no program. Bruce Willis cannot get into a spaceship with movie stars and go blow up an asteroid. It's just not viable at the moment.

So Armageddon really will happen, because these things are so big. They come out of the asteroid belt, these massive things that will destroy life on Earth.

I also like the idea that people say, "Save the world or destroy planet Earth." Well, it won't destroy the planet Earth. The last big asteroids to hit planet Earth destroyed the dinosaurs and made way for humans. So it may destroy you, but it'll make way for something else. The earth will still be here.
Blaze is like the opposite lyricist to Steve. He's got big ideas but presents them in the most simplistic and mundane way. Unlike Harris who takes a basic idea and (when done right) makes it a bit more interesting.

I like this song. Lyrics are goofy but musically it's awesome. I love a lot of the instrumental stuff happening here. It has the gallop, it has solos, and some really cool guitar melodies. Great song, was happy to hear it on Blaze's live album.

Too many times in the Blaze era the song is let down by a flat chorus. This ought to be the bit of the song that elevates and hooks. This is another prime example of a promising song that just becomes uninteresting. Also another one off the album that suffers with unimaginative drumming. Perhaps both Nicko and Blaze are let down by poor production and inappropriate songwriting throughout this album

5/10

When Two Worlds Collide is another Murray-penned track similar to Lightning Strikes Twice. Blaze wrote the lyrics here. Apparently it was one of his favorite songs on the album and it shows in his performance. He sounds fierce on the stomping verses. The instrumental bridge is fantastic, although the chorus quickly becomes tiresome. It’s a song that would have benefited from being a minute shorter. A serviceable, throwaway track that simply never grows beyond meh.

Reading through this thread, a lot of people seem to love the song. I mean, it's not bad but... sorry, Blaze, it's just not memorable. The vocals are strong but the song as a whole is... meh. 6/10.

Very upbeat song, and really fun to listen to! Not as strong as some of the previous songs, like "Futureal" or "The Clansman", but not at all weak, either. The only part I don't really like is the last screamed chorus, which is awful. Overall, a 7.

Blaze does a pretty decent job on this one too. Like most songs on this album though, while holding your attention, it becomes progressively less interesting. A 6 is enough

Back