When The River Runs Deep

How good is When the River Runs Deep on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
The chorus is very, very catchy. I'm humming it here at work big time. That being said: IMO wtrrd may have benefited from a faster, punchier chorus.
I agree with poster above, it's a bit longer than needed. My motto has been more maiden is good maiden!but I wish the chorus was a verse in another song maybe because I love it, it just feels pieced in here.

This is a good track that its a bit bound to have a fates as a bit forgotten, sandwiched between the two mamooth songs TRATB and TBOS. But it's good!

Got some Somewhere in time riffing I think!

I don't know if I'm in the minority here or not, but this song and the great unknown are my favorites so far. Very catchy with great flow.

Cringing vocals in the beginning. Can't believe what Bruce wants to prove here. Yes, Bruce you can still sing high but here you're doing not much else than fucking up vocal chords. Compared to this, the chorus in Mother of Mercy is a blessing.

That opening and ending guitar "melody" is probably the most messy thing Adrian has ever recorded. I am beginning to sound like Maturin, but here I see what he means.

By the way, I clearly hear non-Bruce backing vocals in the first couplets. Could be H, but if it's Steve I believe that as well.

Reactions: Gk1
This is a brilliant song! Maiden rarely make full throttle barnstormers these days, and whilst the frantic pace isn't kept up throughout the song, the slower chorus is a grower, and H's hypnotic solo elevates the song to higher plateau. I have a feeling this is going to be one of the songs on the album that is overlooked, due to the prescence of some powerful epic numbers on the album, but that would be a shame, as it is a great little cooker of a song!
I am going to disagree here Sara. Adrian's solo sounds so thin (compressed?) as if it was squeezed out in a dim toilet. I much prefer his work as in Tears of a Clown. Just a different choice by the guitarist and/or producer/mixer? Probably, but I'll have a different impression as well then.

I don't know if I'm in the minority here or not, but this song and the great unknown are my favorites so far. Very catchy with great flow.
These are two of my faves as well.

WTRRD has such a HEAVY half time groove like Maiden have never done before, I sincerely hope it's in the setlist because headbanging along to this one live would be otherworldly!!!

Disagree completely with the criticisms of the river. Bruce is showing range. Just because it's higher doesn't make it bad. I think Bruce is brilliant here and displays diversity on the album.
Guitar work is great as well. Diverse as hell again, from other songs in the album, but not bad at all. This would be a killer live tune.

Disagree completely with the criticisms of the river. Bruce is showing range. Just because it's higher doesn't make it bad. I think Bruce is brilliant here and displays diversity on the album.
Guitar work is great as well. Diverse as hell again, from other songs in the album, but not bad at all. This would be a killer live tune.
Opening with:

1. IETSF
2. SOL
3. Great Unknown
4. WTRRD

would make me so weak in the knees!

That would be epic Lego-Man!! I would however prefer : SOL-great unknown - the "River" -BOS- and "tears"... If only 5 were to be played. Either way, this is a tour not to be missed. I'm planning on some travel cuz' one show won't feed the hunger for Maiden!!!!
Riding the river as we speak!!:shred:

Completely different than what I expected (I thought it's a slow, ballady one). Bruce's line in the intro is really weird (I mean the awkward high note especially), I don't know why he thought it's a good idea :p The riff is very similar to Man on the Edge. A mediocre rocker, but the chorus is quite catchy. I've got nothing more to say about this track... One of my least favourite on the album.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
I love how The River Runs Deep contains some allegorical lyrics that ever so slightly relate to Adrian's favourite pastime...fishing. Cool.

Bruce said in an interview (about SoL) that he "asked Adrian whats it this one about, and he said 'I don't know, but the title must be Speed Of Light'"

I bet Steve asked him "what's this one called?", and he said "don't know, but it's about fishing"

Verses and the main riff remind me too much of The Alchemist which isn't a good thing. Solo section is quite interesting though... but it's still pretty much an average song.
OK, I'm really annoyed by the main riff right now. Verses are too similar to Alchemist. Pre-chorus is OK, chorus is also relatively OK, but that main riff and cringey beginning are pretty unbearable. And while solo question is quite cool, I rarely listen to songs just because of the solos :p

I dont get all the people that continue to praise TOAC and then rips this songs and says it so bad. This song has much cooler riffs!

This is definitely my least favorite song on this album but I do like it. The chorus for me is the best part here. The pre-chorus (dying, crying parts) are a bit too much for me. Not super great but not offensively bad either.

This is definitely my least favorite song on this album but I do like it. The chorus for me is the best part here. The pre-chorus (dying, crying parts) are a bit too much for me. Not super great but not offensively bad either.
That's The Great Unknown, not WTRRD :p

Back