What's Your Least Favorite Maiden Song?

If we're referring to their cover songs and all, I absolutely hate "Reach Out," sung by Adrian around the Somewhere In Time era. I believe it was part of the B-side to the Wasted Years single. It just sounds like generic, mainstream 80's garbage. If you haven't heard it, don't look it up. You'll only be disappointed.

I must agree with you. I absolutely hate this song. It has nothing special, and the vocals are just horrible. Adrian is not as bad as Harry as a singer, but this doesn't make him a singer. But, being a cover, this song should be kept out of the debate, and Maiden on their own have done even worse : Bring your Daughter and Hooks in You are the lowest points of their catalogue. I also find Innocent Exile unbearable.

I must agree with you. I absolutely hate this song. It has nothing special, and the vocals are just horrible. Adrian is not as bad as Harry as a singer, but this doesn't make him a singer. But, being a cover, this song should be kept out of the debate, and Maiden on their own have done even worse : Bring your Daughter and Hooks in You are the lowest points of their catalogue. I also find Innocent Exile unbearable.

What do you dislike about Innocent Exile?

What do you dislike about Innocent Exile?

Everything except the nice bass intro : the lyrics, the melody and the repetitiveness of the rythm guitar during the solos. I consider Killers an almost perfect album, and the almost lays in Innocent Exile. I generally like Harris' early songs, like Burning Ambition or Iron Maiden, because they sound a bit naive but have certain qualities, but this one never did it to me.

I have to say that I've not listened to many of maiden's albums since I left the band, but I bumped into H not long before he rejoined the band and he told me that I had to hear Virtual Eleven because he said it was utter shit. So after a few drinks I bought the CD and we went round to Clive's (Burr) house to give it a listen. We pissed ourselves all afternoon. It was fucking shit. Especially that one with those keyboard stabs. What were they thinking? I think old 'arry must have lost the plot for a while. And Clive and H thought that it wasn't even Nicko McBrain playing the drums. Whatever next?

I have heard this rumour several times before - can anyone confirm if it's true? And if so - why would Nicko not play on this album if he was still the bands drummer?

Nah, it's like an urban legend. The drums have so little energy that it doesn't seem like something Nicko would play so some people think it's Steve.

Nah, it's like an urban legend. The drums have so little energy that it doesn't seem like something Nicko would play so some people think it's Steve.

Thanks for that Mosh, have always thought it strange to say the least that Nicko wouldn't have played. I suppose the whole band were on bit of a downer around that time and that's probably reflected in Nicko's approach?

But I do still like Como Estais Amigo though.... ;)

Maybe. I like the songs but the whole album seems rather phoned in by the entire band. It comes out the most in Nicko's performance, imo.

Sanctuary, Twilight Zone, Holy Smoke, Hooks in You, Bring your Daughter, The Apparition, The Unbeliever and The Angel & the Gambler.

I have to say that I've not listened to many of maiden's albums since I left the band, but I bumped into H not long before he rejoined the band and he told me that I had to hear Virtual Eleven because he said it was utter shit. So after a few drinks I bought the CD and we went round to Clive's (Burr) house to give it a listen. We pissed ourselves all afternoon. It was fucking shit. Especially that one with those keyboard stabs. What were they thinking? I think old 'arry must have lost the plot for a while. And Clive and H thought that it wasn't even Nicko McBrain playing the drums. Whatever next?

I had missed this one. For a moment, I thought it was a real quote of Bruce.

I would say my least favourite is Satellite 15...The Final Frontier! The Satellite 15 piece is just incredibly dull, and I never really enjoy it until the start of The Final Frontier. This is why I love the En Vivo album, I can listen to The Final Frontier without Satellite 15, before going straight into El Dorado, my favourite song from TFF

Yeah, it's on En Vivo, but the song isn't linked. I prefer TFF, but hate S15 with a passion. En Vivo slices the two songs, so you don't have to listen to S15 before TFF

Satellite 15 is indeed a hideous, pointless piece of music. Like you, I very much appreciate the fact that they split this in two on En Vivo. "The Final Frontier" is a great live album opener.

I agree with both of you, Pand and Patrick. A very short version of S15 would have created a nice atmosphere to open the album, but its too long, pointless and boring. At the beginning of the shows, it was a real torture.

Yes, and Harry thought it could be used as a demo, without being even properly recorded. The drums are programmed on computer !

Back