What's your favourite post reunion album and why? #2

What's your favourite post reunion album and why?

• Brave New World

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Dance of Death

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • A Matter of Life and Death

Votes: 38 32.5%
  • The Final Frontier

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Book of Souls

Votes: 25 21.4%

• Total voters
AMOLAD

The album features no real disappointments. BNW has The Nomad. I love it but I rather see Maiden not doing it this way. Also not a huge fan of Thin Line and Silent Planet. DOD has No More Lies, Wildest Dreams and Face in the Sand. TFF has The Talisman and Wild Wind. TBOS has TRATB and River Runs Deep.

Dance of Death because it has the best songs (even though it does have some fillers too, but nothing really boring). "Paschendale", "Dance of Death", "Rainmaker" and "Journeyman" are great in my opinion. It has as many great songs as BNW but in this case, these are not the first four songs.

1. DoD
2. BNW (close behind)
3. TBOS
4. TFF
5. AMOLAD

5 - The Final Frontier

Very inconsistent album with the least "highs" of any of the reunion albums. The Talisman is godly, I adore the title track and there are several other very good songs, but also some songs (Starblind, Isle of Avalon) that really ruin it for me.

4 - A Matter Of Life And Death

Overall very consistent album, with few stinkers but without the top end the albums above have.

3 - Brave New World

Some songs I don't really rate here (The Nomad is the worst offender, but The Mercenary isn't great either) but some really, really good songs.

2 - Dance of Death

There are a couple of relative duds (New Frontier, Gates of Tomorrow) but the title track, Paschendale and Face In The Sand are some of the finest the band have ever written. I have a soft spot for most of the short songs as well.

1 - The Book Of Souls

Still my favourite album of the entire discography. The weakest tracks aren't that weak, and the best songs (Empire, Tears) are superlative.

5. DOD - the least consistent reunion album. Some amazing stuff here but ultimately too much filler.

4. TFF - This album has weird pacing that I find makes it kinda hard for me to enjoy when listening to it as a whole. I also think that some songs are ruined by terrible production. If this album had better production, and Bruce was singing as well as he was on TBOS, this album would be higher on the list.

3. TBOS - Aside from 2 weak tracks (SOTV and WtRRD), this album is excellent. The next two are just excellent without excluding any tracks.

2. AMOLAD - A lot of stuff in the "great" range, a few higher, not many lower, making this the most consistent reunion album imo, which makes it a great listen through.

1. BNW - Almost as consistent as AMOLAD, except most of these songs are more than great.

I've never experienced "filler" on an Iron Maiden album. Every song they've put out to me has its own merit. There isn't a song that is so boring to me that I would use that term to describe it.
Certainly some albums Are better than others.. But even my least favorite songs by this band peak my interest in one way or another.
For instance bring your daughter, the red and the black, como estais amigos are probably my least favorite Maiden songs. But all have interesting, melodic parts. Not filler. And no fricken way there is filler on DOD...

A tie between Dance of Death and Book of Souls. I love the general mood of DoD and got earwormed by at least five of the songs on it.

TBOS represents Maiden seriously meaning business after a few years of nostalgia tours and an album that was slightly understated, and is pretty weighty stuff. The nods to the fall of empires, extinction of civilisation, and oblivion, could be applied to this being the beginning of the end for the band itself. In a nasty twist of fate, Bruce's illness could have brought everything to an end before the album was even released.

Plus I went to the FC listening party in Paris, which makes the album extra special to me.

BNW for now and evermore. Also my favorite Maiden album. Yes, it was the first Maiden album I was introduced to, but I genuinely love the feel, songwriting, production, performance, and mood on every track. It has a moody, mystical quality that I don't think has ever been present on another entire album by the boys.

AMOLAD is a very, very close second, though.

Despite a matter of life and death being my favourite overall reunion album I think brave new world has some of the best songs the band has ever written.

The wicker man for example is one of the best rockers this band has ever produced. Listening to rock In rio with that classical intro then wicker man bursting out is the best start to a concert ever in my opinion. The fact that ghost of the navigator and brave new world follow is the best three song start to any Maiden concert period in my eyes so actually if it was a choice I'd say rock in rio is my favourite reunion cd. The best set list this band have ever put together.

Last edited:
It might still be a bit soon to call, but right now I'm convinced TBOS tops the post-2000 albums. While TRATB is a bit overlong, overall it's a largely dud-free album with some fairly spectacular high points (Empire, SOTV, the title track).

BNW got me into Maiden and will always hold a special place in my heart. TFF overall never really clicked for me

BNW
BOS
AMOLAD
DOD
TFF

^ BNW tour was the first tour I went on.... I had to fly up to see them. I missed Dance of Death tour.... obvious reason. They only played New York and California in the states..... o_O like wtf?

BNW is the greatest I feel of the albums since 1988...
AMOLAD is number 2. Solid album all the way through.. I may even put it higher than BNW as an overall album but some of the songs on BNW may be stronger.
TBOS is number 3... Really great album but doesn't flow as well as the first 2 and not as many strong songs
DOD is 4. Good songs on there but I don't listen to them for whatever reason
TFF is kinda a wtf album for me.... I tried to like it. Live it wasn't bad but I cannot get into it for whatever reason...

Book of Souls. When I first heard this on release day, I thought, "You know, this could end up being my favourite Iron Maiden album." Then I thought, "Nah, that's just post-release buzz." Two years later, it's ended up being my favourite Maiden album. Disc 2 is absolute gold from the first sound of "Death or Glory" to the last note of "Empire of the Clouds."

BNW for now and evermore. Also my favorite Maiden album. Yes, it was the first Maiden album I was introduced to, but I genuinely love the feel, songwriting, production, performance, and mood on every track. It has a moody, mystical quality that I don't think has ever been present on another entire album by the boys.

AMOLAD is a very, very close second, though.

But can you feel the theft?

I agree with Foro on this one, I'd choose other exemplary songs, but the point remains. AMOLAD is boss.

Back