What's the difference between the remasters and the original albums?

I realized yesterday that all the albums I have are remasters and I wanted to listen to the original albums and sound but I feel like every YouTube video saying 1986 or original just has the remastered audio in it. Where can I find and download the original songs on mp3?

Please note that linking to downloads of official material is against the rules.

ClairvoyantKiller: I suggest looking around on torrent trackers.

I keep trying to find the original mp3s and albums and I finally think I found them but I can't really tell the difference. Is there a huge change or am I missing something?

What so different about it? Is it like powerslave where the beginning of one song is at the end of another or are some instruments muted a bit?

The difference is mostly the sound. The remasters are louder and "crisper", i.e. they have a more biting tonality to them, mostly noticeable in the guitars. The originals have a rounder sound, with the guitars and the bass clearly defined without being too loud. They are quieter than the remasters - but that's what a volume button is for.

I don't mind the guitars on the remasters, it's mostly the drums and bass that sound grating to me. I can barely listen to the Powerslave remaster anymore after hearing the original.

Just using that as an example. There are some albums that I've heard just the remaster and not the original and vice versa. Powerslave is the only album that I've heard both.

The remasters are missing a lot of the dynamic range of the originals- i.e, the louds are quieter and the quiet parts are louder. This has the illusion of making the remasters sound "punchier" simply because they are louder.

The original masters are superior in just about every way.

Back