98 reissues vs original versions

nuno_c

A hollow universe in space
Do you think the originals sound better than the 98 reissues or the other way? Why?

Personally, i prefer the 98 reissues. Think they're more punchy.

The 98 remasters are a mess. Still better than a lot of other band remasters out there (hello Queen!), but compared to the original masters, they are terrible.

The 98 remasters are a mess. Still better than a lot of other band remasters out there (hello Queen!), but compared to the original masters, they are terrible.
What makes the originals better than the 98 reissues? I would really love to get technical if possible.

the originals you can make out the individual instruments better. Bass lines, certainly rhythm guitar lines and drumming are more natural and profound. The 98' issues are loud as FVCK and hard to make out once noticeable notes. I prefer the vinyl to CDs and even cassettes to CDs

The 1998 remasters are an abomination. Not as bad as "Death Magnetic," but bad. The '98s are louder, yes, but definitely not "punchier." If you turn up the volume on the originals and do a side-by-side, volume-adjusted comparison, the originals completely smoke the '98s. Much wider dynamic range, meaning the louds are louder and the soft parts are softer. Don't take my word for it -- Google "loudness wars" and educate yourself. I've written about this elsewhere on this forum too.

To "get technical" you can see the dynamic range differences between the '98 remasters and the earlier releases here. That link also shows you that the recent vinyl reissues are very well done in terms of dynamics, even greater dynamic range than the original CD and LP. Iron Maiden isn't the only band that has this issue: I strongly recommend the original 1980s CD issues of AC/DC, Metallica and Judas Priest over the current remastered versions too.

Last edited:
What Cornfed said.

I have the early 1990s CD issues (albeit as MP3s only) and some of the original vinyl, and I can only say that they are entirely different sonic experiences. Somewhere in Time is always cited as a prime example, and I agree - but all of them are different to the 1998 remasters. I first heard some of the original releases long after the 1998 remasters, and it was almost as if I listened to them for the first time, they're that different.

Might as well mention it now - the best versions are the Black Diamond Japanese Pressing of the various albums. The audiophiles can tell you more, but these are supposed to be the gold standard.

Might as well mention it now - the best versions are the Black Diamond Japanese Pressing of the various albums. The audiophiles can tell you more, but these are supposed to be the gold standard.
Do you know if they're easy to find? Also, thanks!

Bah, that's baloney. For most of the 80s albums, the Black Triangle mastering is no different than the Capitol or EMI CDs sold in the U.S. or Europe. See this thread. The digital data is exactly the same. People say that in the early 80s, the Toshiba manufacturing plant had higher production standards. Whatever. If you spend $100 on a used Black Triangle or $10 on a used EMI, you'll hear the same thing. It's still ones and zeros.

Do you know if they're easy to find? Also, thanks!
They are very difficult to find and very expensive if you do. Again, a far better value getting the EMIs or Capitols (or 1995 Castles).

Sadly it seems, and i really can't explain why, even after listening to the originals i still prefer the 98 remasters... :nuts:

What kind of system are you listening on? Loudness can make albums sound deceptively better in certain environments...

What kind of system are you listening on? Loudness can make albums sound deceptively better in certain environments...
Yeah yeah, i know!

Well, i think the only place where i'm yet to hear the originals over the 98 is in the car.

Maybe if i knew kind of what to look for in the sound it would be easier... Like what's missing from the remasters over the originals, etc

And btw, if anyone of you knows where to find a 320kbps torrent of the Maiden discography with the originals i would really appreciate it

Yeah yeah, i know!

Well, i think the only place where i'm yet to hear the originals over the 98 is in the car.

Maybe if i knew kind of what to look for in the sound it would be easier... Like what's missing from the remasters over the originals, etc

What's missing from the remasters is a lot of the dynamic range: i.e, the difference between the quietest and loudest parts of the albums has been decreased/flattened out. Then the overall volume as a whole is increased far too much, meaning everything is very loud. Of course the 98s are going to sound better in the car, because when you have wind/road/engine noise, the loss of dynamic range doesn't really matter.

Check out these videos for a slightly more detailed explanation:
Maybe i have a problem, but since i can perfectly hear every aspect of each instrument, i don't really hear any problem in the 98 versions.

That being said, i can clearly hesr many problems on albums like Californication and Death Magnetic

Maybe i have a problem, but since i can perfectly hear every aspect of each instrument, i don't really hear any problem in the 98 versions.

That being said, i can clearly hesr many problems on albums like Californication and Death Magnetic
To some extent, it's a matter of opinion. The 98 reissues are certainly much less extreme than the two albums you mentioned. However, they remasters do still cause a certain amount of distortion on playback, which is especially noticable on higher-end systems.

Here's some food for though: wouldn't you rather have the dynamic range preserved and simply turn the volume knob up to make the albums louder? Or would you permanently sacrifice the dynamic range for an album that is always louder?

To some extent, it's a matter of opinion. The 98 reissues are certainly much less extreme than the two albums you mentioned. However, they remasters do still cause a certain amount of distortion on playback, which is especially noticable on higher-end systems.

Here's some food for though: wouldn't you rather have the dynamic range preserved and simply turn the volume knob up to make the albums louder? Or would you permanently sacrifice the dynamic range for an album that is always louder?
I would always prefer the first!

And listen, i usually prefer originals over remasters, but in this case i'm really having a hard time "getting it". And it's annoying me.

Back