What's the best proof to show that Iron Maiden is NOT satanic

snake plissken said:
I think if people are ignorant enough to assume Maiden are Satanic then all the proof in the world isn't gonna change their so called "minds". If some idiot says he/she thinks Maiden are Satanists I always respond with, "well yeah, why do you think I like them" and I pretend to be Satanic too for my own amusement  :D
:ok:

:D That's what I used to do when I was younger.  I haven't had any experience with it as an adult though.

I really would try to ignore them.  I moved to Spring, TX (near Houston) in 1984 and started High School there, big time culture shock.  First day I wore a University of Illinois T- Shirt and got called a damn Yankee 5 times (guess they forgot we unified after the Civil War).  This is about the time I started getting into Maiden, saw them and wore Maiden (and other metal band) t-shirts and got a bunch of crap from country music fans and religious nut jobs.  All I can say is fly the flag proudly and hang out with fellow believers.  If someone wants to get into an honest discussion about music and the meaning of the songs, go for it, it can be interesting.  But if they just want to preach, walk away politely and show you are the bigger person.  That's what I did, then was happy when I went to college and all that BS was over.

I never cared for that, though it can get in the tits, in certain situations. I'd been called satanist, accused of making a deal with the devil (people still believe I really did it. Barely they know that they sign deals with the devil almost every day) and what make me laugh out loud and being highly proud of who and what I am is that most of these people are the ones doing evil and using as an excuse the 'license' for being christian, catholic or whatever inventions created by the great old ones.

Instead of taking care of their arsehole, they go looking for the bloke's next door ass. I pity most of religious people, hypocrites, and I don't feel sorry for their miserable existence (Starblind lyrics' says it all).

How many of you live in communities where religion has enough influence that this really matters?

I live in Texas (near Dallas), I am sure that in school this might still be a big deal around here, I think a lot of it is graduating and having control of where you live, hang out with, where you need to be and you can avoid all this crap easily enough.  Hell, I'm 41 and feel just fine mowing the yard in a Maiden shirt, if the neighbors do not like it, F-'em.

mckindog said:
How many of you live in communities where religion has enough influence that this really matters?

In the U.S., there are more such communities than you might think.  I grew up in one, Topeka, Kansas (home of the infamous Fred Phelps and his Westboro church followers who picket funerals).  Now I live in L.A., which is basically Sodom.  B)
Still, the Catholic church is huge here, mostly among Latino population, and I see hundreds of Orthodox Jews walking to temple every Saturday morning.  And, in outlying suburbs like Westlake Village, where my in-laws live, there are many influential Protestant churches.  Religion is alive and well in the States. 

P.S.  I don't really think churches give a crap about heavy metal any more.  Maybe the fact that Alice Cooper plays golf on t.v. made the country club WASPs realize metal artists aren't demons, who knows.  Now, churches are more concerned with rap music, crystal meth, video games, sexting and girls giving oral or anal to "preserve their virginity".  (Re the last point, I am reminded that I went to high school and college during the height of the AIDS scare.  Chastity belts could not have been more effective.  Un-goddamn-fair.)

I grew up in a community where kids hid the fact they went to church. You were far more likely to be targeted for being churchy than being a fan of "Satanic" acts like Sabbath and Maiden.
These days churchgoers aren't extinct around here, but churches are mostly full of — OK, not even barely half-full of — old folks, and marginalized enough their beliefs don't really hold much sway politically or socially.

You can try some of the suggestions that have been made, but honestly, I think you will lose this one. Especially if you live in some uber-religious location, like the US Bible Belt. And here's why... there are too many songs that talk about the institution of religion (and it's evils), as well as a few that talk about the devil (Lord of Light?). Those who truly wish to disparage and/or label Iron Maiden as satanic will have done their homework (in a half assed way to only gather ammunition with no understanding). Next you'll be trying to explain how Maiden takes on many topics from many perspectives that they don't necessarily believe. Followed by explaining all the damage organized religion has done and that it has nothing to do with satanism, it's simply taking a real look at the world... and finally, when you are done, they'll be wondering if you are satanic.

Or not... it depends on how open minded and willing to think the people are. I have gotten that exact reaction above though, from those who are truly closeminded and... well... idiotic, and overly zealous in their beliefs (with no understanding of their beliefs - the odd irony). There's a guy on YouTube who devotes much of his time to twisting Iron Maiden lyrics into something with Satanic meaning... it's quite humorous, if it weren't for the fact that he has a following.

Good luck

Onhell has moved up to the big leagues of dream killing. If he wants to retain his thread killing title, he has to resume killing threads. It's not easy being on top. :halo:

cornfedhick said:
P.S.  I don't really think churches give a crap about heavy metal any more.  Maybe the fact that Alice Cooper plays golf on t.v. made the country club WASPs realize metal artists aren't demons, who knows.  Now, churches are more concerned with rap music, crystal meth, video games, sexting and girls giving oral or anal to "preserve their virginity".  (Re the last point, I am reminded that I went to high school and college during the height of the AIDS scare.  Chastity belts could not have been more effective.  Un-goddamn-fair.)

I believe you because metal isn't popular like it was in the 80s.  Back then so many bands had a song on TV evangelists and bashing religious leaders, the label of 'satanic' was easy to stick. 

It was an easy target. Religious preachers, ESPECIALLY tv preachers, have always gone at what's easy. When every 2nd kid has a NotB tshirt and is rocking out to Stained Class, then it is really easy for a preacher to get money from his sheep flock to combat evil.

Now, it's gay folk whom they preach against.

LooseCannon said:
It was an easy target. Religious preachers, ESPECIALLY tv preachers, have always gone at what's easy. When every 2nd kid has a NotB tshirt and is rocking out to Stained Class, then it is really easy for a preacher to get money from his sheep flock to combat evil.

Now, it's gay folk whom they preach against.

I don't really have a problem with TV preachers. They're business men. They know there's hateful bastards out there who wanna hear how "evil" gays etc are. They know they'll make money off of it. Yes, they're ripping people off but I don't care because the people they're ripping off are fucking scum.

snake plissken said:
I don't really have a problem with TV preachers. They're business men. They know there's hateful bastards out there who wanna hear how "evil" gays etc are. They know they'll make money off of it. Yes, they're ripping people off but I don't care because the people they're ripping off are fucking scum.

Well said!  To hell with both the so called "priests" and their dumbass followers.

I've dealt with that issue before. Oh boy. I'm a bit of a Philosophy nerd. When my parents started to question the music I listened to, especially Iron Maiden, they told me that they're "Satanic" because they heard "Number of the Beast". You know what I did, I used flawless logic against them.

I asked them, so Iron Maiden is "Satanic" because they talked about and mentioned Satan, right? My Parents responded obviously without thinking "yes." So then I asked them. Is everything and anything that mentions or talks about Satan, "Satanic"? Again, without thinking, they told me "yes." So I proceeded to tell them, "According to your logic, we're being "Satanic" because we're mentioning Satan, not only that, but The Bible is "Satanic" as well. They mention Satan more then any other book or band. They stayed quiet. Soon after that, I explained to them that the song was actually talking about the movie "Omen: II" (I think it's that movie, correct me if I'm wrong). 

Anyway, you can do what these are saying, but if you want to be a smartass, you can do it my way. :D

As a kid I was almost driven out of my family for wearing Maiden shirts, jackets etc.  Yes I WAS A DEVIL WORSHIPER!!  Well at least that's what many family members and neighbors/teachers thought!  I was sent to a shrink when my folks found the lyrics to "Still Life" in a school notebook.  It is surprising that these notions still exist.  Try showing him video of the lads playing soccer [football, sorry] or Bruce flying jet planes or doing family shows for NASA T.V/ the Discovery channel or whatnot.  Sorry to hear another Maiden fan going through this!

It's kind of shocking to me that this is still even an issue.  In all of metal, Maiden is one of the least satanic bands I can think of. 

This thread title seems like something I'd expect to see on reddit, in the "shitty advice" section.

So, some shitty advice:

You can only prove that Maiden are not Satanic by being more Satanic than Maiden.
You must wear only black robes and goat's blood.
You must frequent graveyards.
You must chant something. It must be in Latin and sound sinister.
All the people you know will stop worrying if Iron Maiden is Satanic. They will instead compliment you and offer to bear your children.

Back