What would you like on the next Maiden album?

Shadow

Deluxe Edition
Staff member
Might be a bit early to speculate about it, but now, what would you like to see on the next Maiden album? What kind of songs? Do you want them to continue the Dance of Death style, or go back to the eighties sound?

Personally, I'd like to see something a bit less repetive, and something heavier. Still melodic and with lots of solos, but heavier. Also I'd love to see another instrumental song.

What do you say?

I'd like some Maiden songs on it... [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I´m going to copy and paste what I said in the topic "A year has gone" on the Dance of Death forum.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]01 ) - The Harmonies - I call harmonies that part which has the twim guitars at the top ! Remember that part just before the solo in Children of the Damned. Or the solos in Murders in the Rue Morgue. Or maybe the brilliant after the solos in Rime of the Ancient Mariner. If you haven´t remembered yet, just keep in mind the song Déjà vu. Well, that´s what I call harmony. I really don´t know if theres is another term to this. As I said I am not a musician. But I am sure you had understand me (oh God, please ! [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] )
Well, I ´ve always love the harmonies in Maiden work. They are so powerfull !
Now try to remember an harmony in Brave New World. I can only remember now by memory the one in the title track. BNW do not have so much harmonies. But the harmonies on this album are one of the best in all Maiden career.
Dance of Death instead have a lot of harmonies. I can remember Rainmaker, some in No More Lies, a little one in Montségur, and of course the lovely "crowd part" harmony in Dance of Death with the "ooooooooo ooooooooo o o o o oooooo ooooo". However, due to production issues I think, the harmonies on this album are not that powerfull. They are not the harmonies which have the power to take my heart and shake it to the ground ! In fact I can only remember the one before the rap part in Age of Innocence. Only this one sent shivers donw my spine. The others are just okay.
So, Maiden have done an album with lots of harmonies again, but these are not as good as the previous ones. So please guys, make good harmony parts with good production ! I prefer less but perfect harmonies than lots of cold ones.[/quote]

This is my only wish. Come what may, BUT WITH COOL HARMONIES ! [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I'd like to be surprised, as I was surprised with songs like 'Pashendale' or 'Journeyman' on Dance of Death.

I'm definatley ready for another kick-ass instrumental!
Tranylvania-Ghengis Khan-Losfer Words
All different from each other but great in their own way.

I just want to wait nerviously the day I can buy the record ! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

i want the sound and theme of the new album to be like anything remotely innovative and amazing as Somewhere in Time or Seventh Son.

They should continue what they've done on Brave New World. I think that album was more experimenting than Dance Of Death. On BNW they've mixed new ideas and classic Maiden trademarks just in the perfect ratio. So those songs sound fresh, but make you think at the same time: the Golden Age is back!

Dance Of Death is also a good album, but not that special like BNW. The only really surprising song on that was Paschendale. Okay, Gates Of Tomorrow was also surpising, but not in a good way.

So, I think there should be some experimenting stuff like Out Of Silent Planet, Paschendale, Blood Brothers. Experiment with folklore stuff, more melodies, etc.
There could be some "retro" tracks, in the Fallen Angel - Montsegur way. (I think Fallen Angel is a very "pieceofmindish" and Montsegur is a very "powerslavish" song, in a very-very good way!) More heavy, more aggressive songs? I don't know... A really quick stormer, like Be Quick Or Be Dead would much better album-opener than something like Wildest Dreams... But maybe it's not a brilliant idea, because it seems to me when Bruce thinks he should sing in an aggressive way, he does that "raspy", rough style, what he used very much in the '90-93 period. And I think his real style is not that.

I'd like them to do one or two more shorter to th epoint songs and one or two less of the "slow intro, repeat chorus for four minutes" stuff they seem to be getting into lately.

I'd like the next Maiden album to be whatever Maiden choose it to be. I wan't them to progress their work as they have always done!

[!--QuoteBegin-Squall3X+Sep 15 2004, 10:53 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Squall3X @ Sep 15 2004, 10:53 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]i want the sound and theme of the new album to be like anything remotely innovative and amazing as Somewhere in Time or Seventh Son.
[snapback]86640[/snapback]​
[/quote]

something amazing, experimental like seventh son. but also harmonic and smooth equally aso Maiden could be acceptable for radios and TVs and get more people into that

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Sep 15 2004, 05:20 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Sep 15 2004, 05:20 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'd like some Maiden songs on it...   [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]86615[/snapback]​
[/quote]

No way Mav! That'd be horrible!! [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well considering Maiden do what they want on an album, and not what is in at that time, which contributes to why they are so succesful, im going to stick to that and not say what i want on it! Maiden do what they want...and its normally amazing!!

More heavy Licks by Adrain when he gets involved totally in an Album it becomes one of the best albums

And Harmonies and a serious kick ass heavy cd to blow all the new fuckers away

Two things:
OUT WITH JANICK BUTCHER GERS
NEW DRUMMER!!! DOUBLE-BASS!!! nothing against Nicko, but look to what happened to Judas Priest, they get a new drummer and bang! they make one incredible album after a lot of junk...
Mr Cozy Powell??? A shame he's not with us anymore... RIP master!!!

To the Leper Messiah:

I personally don't understand why you think Janick is a "butcher". I think his soloing is mostly great, especially in songs like Paschendale or Fear Of The Dark. The only time I've seen him "butcher" anything is his live solo during Hallowed Be Thy Name - at first I didn't like it, but then I heard what he was trying to do musically and I do like it now. Just because he takes his own approach to soloing on older Maiden songs is not sufficient cause to label him a "butcher", in my opinion.

Of course, if you have some other reason for denigrating Mr. Gers, I'd love to hear it. But simply insulting a musician without giving a reason tends to be a sign of closed-mindedness, a trait that prevents many people from enjoying some great music.

As for Nicko: why should he be replaced only to follow a trend like double-bass drumming? At least half the instances of double-bass drumming I've ever heard have added nothing but inconsequential noise to the song. Plus, "Face In The Sand" shows that Nicko is willing to use double-bass when the song calls for it; asking for more than is needed is a mistake.

While I may strongly disagree with your opinions, I must give you props for a great signature - Stormbringer is a kick-ass song!

Well, I find doublebass players pretty boring, actually. Nicko is great, because he uses some diversity in his playing. Some pedal work that sounds like double's, but still he doesn't allways bang it. And as for my opinion, Face In the Sand's bad thing are those double's. The song sounds better in the end where Nicko uses one pedal only. Ofcourse in some band's double's are a good thing, but I tend to listen to bands where the drummer uses only one pedal. Some powermetall here or there aint bad, but in the end i prefer single pedal playing. For some reason when a drummer has doublepedals, he uses them too much.

But this is just my opinion... tought I might just point that out. [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-agdabavipain+Sep 17 2004, 08:47 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(agdabavipain @ Sep 17 2004, 08:47 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]something amazing, experimental like seventh son. but also harmonic and smooth equally aso Maiden could be acceptable for radios and TVs and get more people into that
[snapback]86789[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I COMPLETELY disagree, that would mean selling out, going mainstream, commercialization...etc and Maiden, unlike Metallica, have done a great job of staying current and on top for 20 years without compromising.
As for double bass, i like it a lot when used properly and there are bands that do it amazingly (Opeth, Iced Earth, Sonata Artica) Wolf-iced earth is a great track with a mindblowing double bass, I wouldn't call it a trend, more of evolution as it is found in most new, mostly European, Metal of all sub-genres.

1) Leave Metallica alone.

2) SinisterMinister....you say asking for more than is neeeded is unnecessary but yet you defend Janick? It is absolutely unnecessary for Maiden, or any ohter band for that matter, to have more than 2 guitarists. I dont personally have anything against any of the three in Maiden, i think they're all great, but honestly it's un-needed.

Personally, Dance of Death to me sounds like a "Best of" album with all new songs. Each song sounds like it's from a different Maiden album, and adds orchestration. And of course, the completely un-Maiden-like Journeyman.

I think the next album should be a bit more inventive than Dance of Death, but they should definately experiment with orchestration and guitar-keyboard harmonies and follow that general direction that Dance of Death paved the way for. There is no need for more harmonies, as I think they were overused on DoD. A catchy harmony here and there is great, but too much is bad and annoying. Basically, Maiden have a good sense of mixing things up and I hope the next album is as diverse as DoD, but more experimental.

[!--QuoteBegin-DaringEagle810+Oct 6 2004, 07:17 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DaringEagle810 @ Oct 6 2004, 07:17 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]1) Leave Metallica alone.
[snapback]88447[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Why? I must have missed the memo that said Metallica are immune to criticism.

[!--QuoteBegin-DaringEagle810+Oct 6 2004, 07:17 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DaringEagle810 @ Oct 6 2004, 07:17 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]2) SinisterMinister....you say asking for more than is neeeded is unnecessary but yet you defend Janick? It is absolutely unnecessary for Maiden, or any ohter band for that matter, to have more than 2 guitarists. I dont personally have anything against any of the three in Maiden, i think they're all great, but honestly it's un-needed.
[snapback]88447[/snapback]​
[/quote]
First, let's assume you're right about "2 guitarists is the most any band could need." (You're not right, but let's pretend like you are for a minute.) I find it interesting that you immediately assume Janick is the 3rd - and therefore unnecessary - guitarist. As I recall, he was already in the band with Dave when Adrian decided to come back. Based on that chronology, Adrian is the 3rd guitarist and he should get lost. Or maybe the guitarists should be dumped in the order the joined the band - get rid of the stale musicians, like a grocer rotating stock. In that case, Dave should go.

Obviously, my point is that Janick is just as essential to Maiden's current sound as Dave or H, and expelling any one of them would be a grave mistake.

As far as "bands could never need more than 2 guitarists" - in most cases, that is certainly a correct statement. One of the problems with guitar (for a composer) is that it takes up a lot of musical space. With more than 2 guitars, there often isn't room to fit much more into the song and still have every part clearly audible.

However, just because that rule applies in most situations doesn't mean it works every time. On DoD, both Paschendale and DoD would sound dramatically different (and worse) if one of the 3 guitar parts was eliminated. Or on BNW, both Blood Brothers and BNW come to mind as songs that used 3 different guitar parts effectively.

When H came back to the band, every person in the band said how excited they were at the prospect of writing songs for 3 guitarists. They have lived up to their word. They are proving that they can handle 3 guitars quite well, a feat which few bands have accomplished.

Regarding the rest of your comments, about wanting the next album to be diverse and experimental - sounds good to me!

Back