what Maiden song parts do you think sound live much better than on the original album?

I blame Janick and his out of tune guitar for that one. If he was in tune it'd probably sound a lot better. I mostly agree with this though, Maiden is often just straight up better live consistently. Sure, there's some concessions. A lot of the 80s stuff has a tinge of "everything's great, but Bruce's voice isn't really there" but the instrumentals are so good they completely eclipse the studio versions.

Listen to SSOASS at Donington '88. Listen to the instrumental section in particular and Nicko's playing. Sweet Jesus it's out of this world.

Effect? That's a vocal harmony and it's fucking great. The song would be super limp without the harmony vocals, same with Aces High and many other 80s classics. It's one of the biggest things modern Maiden is missing because Bruce seemingly can't be assed to do proper harmony vocals anymore even when they would be fitting to the song.
I’m not talking about the harmony. Those harmonies are every where and they’re fine. There’s some studio magic on that harmony in particular that makes it stand out for me. I call it an “effect” for lack of a better word.

The sections of Paschendale with Steve’s backing vocals. I was genuinely surprised when I heard them. They elevate an amazing part of the song. Plus that section has the awesome hit-hat stab from Nicko after ‘…hungry still’. Lush live and in the studio.

Whole brickwalled fest that is Dance Of Death album. Especially the title track and Paschendale.

Can't listen to the studio versions of those 2 anymore.

Dave's solo in Where Eagles Dare, because it is without the sounds of the machine gun from the studio version.

If the song gets played live, there‘s almost always one or several versions that are better than the studio ones. Best of the best: Beast over Hammersmith for early Maiden, En Vivo for new Maiden.
However, Live Chapter and LOTB were not good.

If the song gets played live, there‘s almost always one or several versions that are better than the studio ones. Best of the best: Beast over Hammersmith for early Maiden, En Vivo for new Maiden.
However, Live Chapter and LOTB were not good.
what's wrong with Live Chapter and LOTB?

Perhaps I'm a bit harsh, but when I compare them to En Vivo or even Flight666, there's a big gap in the whole presentation and production, which includes mixing, playing, singing, and also the video. In a broader context, I'd say that perhaps the focus has become a bit too much on the show lately, because in case of the music, they sound too much like they're trying to satisfy what they think the fans expect, which has the effect of appearing backwards, IMO.
And they should follow Bruce and stop coloring their hair? (--:

Back