What is the Rarest Song you've seen Iron Maiden perform live?

Well, my first tour was TFF, so im probably on the Tears of a Clown club if its play count, but i guess i would count more the new songs on the maiden england tour like the prisoner and afraid to shoot strangers that were not played for a long time

I've been to ever tour since 1993 except the Virtual XI, and on every tour there has been at least 1 song that I got to hear for the first time. Granted a lot of them were new album tours, but a lot were not.
Every tour that went to your country? Or also a tour that skipped your country? Every tour as in: every year they toured? (sometimes the set is (slightly) different in another year).

Unfortunately I didn't (could not) go in 1993 and 1996, when they did tour my country. Therefore I have one song (performed by Maiden) that I have never seen, and which Maiden played in my country, since I am a fan (in the last 30 years to be exact):

Transylvania (1993)

Call me spoiled because I've seen so many songs (87), but when I had to miss that tour it was not only CriedWhenBruceLeft, but also CriedWhenIMissedBruceFarewellTour.

Since I'm a fan I've also never seen these songs Maiden had played (outside my country):

"Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger" (1998)
"Stranger in a Strange Land" (1999)
"The Fallen Angel" (2000 & 2001)
"Out of the Silent Planet" (2001)
"Charlotte the Harlot" (2005)

Charlotte the Harlot must be the rarest song this band has done since 1987 (I guess Loneliness is still more rare but that was in 1986).
In 2005 it came on for the first time after 1980(!!), and it was only done twice, and these two performances (in Prague, Czech Republic and Chorzów, Poland) were also the very first thus only performances outside Britain!

(There are other songs Maiden did (sometimes or rarely or often) play during particular (concerts of) (years of) tours that I have not seen, since I'm a fan (e.g. Die With Your Boots on in 1992, Where Eagles Dare in 1993, Running Free with Blaze in 1996, Murders in the Rue Morgue with Blaze in 1998 or Phantom of the Opera in 2009), but I have seen these songs (in) (an)other year(s)).

Last edited:
Every tour that went to your country? Or also a tour that skipped your country? Every tour as in: every year they toured? (sometimes the set is (slightly) different in another year).

Every tour, so the ones that played in Ireland and if they didn't play then I travelled or sometimes I did both on the same tour. I'm not counting specific legs of the tour, i.e. I didn't see the US leg of Maiden England but did see the two European legs, so I count that as 1 tour rather than 3 seperate legs. I missed VXI as they didn't tour Ireland and I was still in school in those days, and cheap low fair airlines weren't really around in those days so I couldn't afford to go.

Every tour, so the ones that played in Ireland and if they didn't play then I travelled or sometimes I did both on the same tour. I'm not counting specific legs of the tour, i.e. I didn't see the US leg of Maiden England but did see the two European legs, so I count that as 1 tour rather than 3 seperate legs. I missed VXI as they didn't tour Ireland and I was still in school in those days, and cheap low fair airlines weren't really around in those days so I couldn't afford to go.

You didn't miss much. The 1998 gig was, by far, the worst Maiden show I have attended.

If I may prod.....which gig?
Piece of Mind tour in Atlanta. It was Quiet Riot's last gig with them. QR came out after Maiden's set and they all played Tush together. For the Beast on the Road tour in Atlanta they headlined a small-ish club (Agora Ballroom) and Total Eclipse was played. It was a fucking fantastic show and to see them that up close was awesome.

1998 show was the best moment of my life at that point! First ever gig, and all the VX11 songs except the futureal and clansman seem pretty rare looking back on that one. Angel, Lighting, Two Worlds and Educated Fool were all played.

Rarest songs... I saw Out of the Silent Planet and Fallen Angel in 2001 at the small London dates to warm up forRock in Rio

Rare is not just the amount, but also how long ago, imo.

1992:
Tailgunner, Be Quick or Be Dead*, From Here to Eternity*, Wasting Love*.
* also played in 1993 (I only went in 1992)

1995:
Fortunes of War**, The Edge of Darkness**, The Aftermath**, Blood on the World's Hands**.
** also played in 1996 (I only went in 1995)

1998:
Lightning Strikes Twice, The Angel and the Gambler, The Educated Fool, When Two Worlds Collide.

1999:
Killers
That's what I'm thinking as well. I saw Flight Of Icarus on the Legacy Of The Beast tour and the chances of that getting played in the future are slim. Also, I saw Maiden in 1992, 2000, and 2017 and quite few of the new album tracks performed from all of those will never get played again. And Maiden doing Children Of The Damned and Powerslave on the Book Of Souls tour was a bit of a shock to me. And those songs haven't been performed that much since the reunion. And for what it's worth, when I saw Blaze, he did Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger, Look For The Truth, and Virus. But as far as the list goes, it would be The Great Unknown for me.

Rare is not just the amount, but also how long ago, imo.

1992:
Tailgunner, Be Quick or Be Dead*, From Here to Eternity*, Wasting Love*.
* also played in 1993 (I only went in 1992)

1995:
Fortunes of War**, The Edge of Darkness**, The Aftermath**, Blood on the World's Hands**.
** also played in 1996 (I only went in 1995)

1998:
Lightning Strikes Twice, The Angel and the Gambler, The Educated Fool, When Two Worlds Collide.

1999:
Killers

Didn't pick up on this post at the time, but it's an interesting concept.

My answer for this would have to be Transylvania, I saw that in 93 and the chances of it being played again must be very low indeed.

Didn't pick up on this post at the time, but it's an interesting concept.

My answer for this would have to be Transylvania, I saw that in 93 and the chances of it being played again must be very low indeed.
Probably more likely to be played again than most of the 90s tracks you have seen them play live. ;)

Probably more likely to be played again than most of the 90s tracks you have seen them play live. ;)

True, but it's a strange one, I thought it had a good chance of being played in 05 given a few others from that 93 tour came back, and also LOTF in 03 would have been a 90's track that you wouldn't have expected to come back but it did. I think most likely is neither Transylvania or most of the other Blaze era tracks will never be played again.

True, but it's a strange one, I thought it had a good chance of being played in 05 given a few others from that 93 tour came back, and also LOTF in 03 would have been a 90's track that you wouldn't have expected to come back but it did. I think most likely is neither Transylvania or most of the other Blaze era tracks will never be played again.

Now that you mention 05, Another Life is probably the rarest Maiden song I have seen live.

Back