What first Maiden album would you recommend to a up and coming maiden fan?

I'd recommend Number of the Beast as it contains 2 very well known songs and some catchy songwriting.  For the most part, you can't go wrong with any of their 80s albums.  And while I love AMOLAD I'd think it would be far more a challenge to get someone into a 72 minute prog metal album than a blistering 42 minute album.

It's kind of a matter of their personal preference.  If they are into 'classic' metal/rock stuff, TNOTB is an easy choice.

However, if they prefer stuff that is deeper and longer and a little more 'prog', then I'd look at AMOLAD.

I would say Powerslave generally, as it has the unmistakable, classic Maiden vibe, making it easily acessable for new listeners, and yet it clearly displays the vast musical abilty of all the members of the band.
For the kids, under age about 13, I would say just let them fall in love with NOTB. It is that one can delve further into the relm of Iron Maiden with all of their albums and explore the later, more progressive works, which really showcase the minds and abilities of the boys.

I would recommend Powerslave or Numeber of the Beast, if not one of the studioalbums it would be Live after Death. Although I like the newer material a lot I think it would be hard to win over someone in one listen with AMOLAD wich drags on a bit to long.

Black Thunder said:
Haha.  :bigsmile:

Either that or "Hooks In You". If you dislike HIY, you aren't a Maiden fan.  :D

Hahahahaha, I guess we need to change the name to "NotMaidenFans.com"

hahahahaha  :lol:

I'd say start with a comp or live album...

Somewhere Back In Time
From Fear To Eternity
Rock In Rio

If you wanted to start with a studio set

The Number Of The Beast

would be my pick. :)

mtmccox said:
This. If they don't like it, there's no hope.

You are correct sire, have a praise.

Chartwell said:
Hahahahaha, I guess we need to change the name to "NotMaidenFans.com"

hahahahaha  :lol:

Hahahahaha,  :lol:.

I guess more people would be satisfied that way.  :bigsmile:

I would recommend Edward the Great because it has a good balance of classic 80s maiden like run to the hills and Number of the Beast and newer songs like the wicker man and futureal.

in there with the outsider...  o-o

id say amolad might shock and awe a bit too much. maybe let them in at the paddling pool first, maybe iron maiden/ notb/ tff to give a good sample and show where theyre at now.  otherwise then yeah the compilations ... maybe not edward the great though when the essential iron maiden kicks ass so much  ;)

It would have to be 'The Number of the Beast' because of the important songs on it: 'Run to the Hills', 'The Number of the Beast' and, the greatest song of all time, 'Hallowed be thy Name'.

Black Wizard said:
It would have to be 'The Number of the Beast' because of the important songs on it: 'Run to the Hills', 'The Number of the Beast' and, the greatest song of all time, 'Hallowed be thy Name'.

Don't forgot Children of the Daaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnneddddddddd. It's my third favorite Maiden song.

I have been faced with this dilemma many times, getting new Maiden fans started,  that is.  I always go with the standards; Numbers and Piece.  They usually come back with "Oh I remember that one song"  Usually The trooper or RTTH or NOTB.                                                                                                  After Really listening to the rest of those two albums, one is always hooked.  I recently lent a friend Final Frontier and a new Maiden fan was  born!!  I believe anyone with taste will be swept off their feet with any Maiden album. 

Yeah probably, my friend recently completely all the Iron Maiden albums. His favorite was FotD, I guess it's just a matter of what you're into.

Back