What first Maiden album would you recommend to a up and coming maiden fan?

DJ James

A coma stole my name.
Lets say a friend of yours is slowly getting into Maiden, what would be the first album you recommend to him?

I would say Piece of Mind, great album and it's probably Maiden at their prime.

:shred:

Good question, I started with SSOASS way back in 1989 then worked my way through the others in no particular order. As for a new fan, I'd say the 2 recent compilation albums, that should give them a decent taster, even though the Dianno and Blaze songs are sung by Bruce.

The Number of the Beast

Maybe because it was my first album. But that's the one I would recommend. Five or six classics, some of them instant hits. If songs like COTD, Beast, Hills or Hallowed don't make him/her interested, I don't think there's much hope. Everything Maiden is about is covered on that album.

Yeah I think Fear to Eternity should give new listeners a good taste of Maiden, then they should probably move on to more of the classics.

I usually go all-out and show people the Rock in Rio DVD. If they don't like that, there's a fat chance they will ever like Maiden.

I started with Number of the Beast, worked for me.

I wouldn't agree with the OP with starting with AMOLAD. It's a fantastic album, but I wouldn't say one for beginners

For what it's worth, I too, would say NOTB. It's pretty accessible, and has enough classics to whet the appetite. I think it also serves as a bridge between the more raw sound of the Di'Anno albums, and the more polished albums of the 80's and beyond.

I'd probably give Piece of Mind to any upcoming Maiden fan, although Brave New World for something newer would probably work as well.

I'll have to re-listen to NOTB, I think AMoLaD would be a great choice for a new generation of Maiden fans.

Hell I'll remake my list,

A Matter of Life and Death
Number of the Beast
Piece of Mind
Dance of Death
Powerslave
No Prayer for the Dying
Killers
Iron Maiden
X Factor
Somewhere in Time
The Final Frontier
Brave New World
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Virtual XI
Fear of the Dark

taker64 said:
For what it's worth, I too, would say NOTB. It's pretty accessible, and has enough classics to whet the appetite. I think it also serves as a bridge between the more raw sound of the Di'Anno albums, and the more polished albums of the 80's and beyond.

I agree with this, even though it's not their best album IMHO. I really agree with the bridge comment, too. I think NOTB has the right mix of short and long, aggressive and complex, to hook a new fan. The only worry I'd have is the title track, which I find cheesy. I might say then either Piece of Mind or (shocker) Final Frontier. AMOLAD is good but I think it is too exhausting for a newbie.

If I wanted to get them into Maiden, Seventh Son. That record has more hooks than a hellraiser movie.

AMOLAD is my very favourite record but it might be asking a little too much of someone to just jump in and dig something like BTATS and the like...gotta ease em in :)

Number of the Beast is the album that broke Maiden as a worldwide phenomenon, their most well-known album, their biggest selling album, their most accessible album, and the album containing probably their greatest song.  So that seems a clear choice to me. 

When I was getting into Maiden, Piece of Mind and The Number of the Beast caught my attention by far the most, and for a third I'd throw in Powerslave.  The rest is harder to get into, and all of my current favourites took longer to grow on me.

Back