What defines your country?

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
As these forums have an awesome mix of people from around the world, I'm curious about what people think sets their country apart from others.
With many, language and ethnicity are the most obvious, but there must also be some other things.

In Canada, I'd say it's the relationship between our French and English populations. It permeates every level of government and has given both Anglo and Franco Canadians a unique prespective on the world.

There's also the fact that this is the world's second largest country, but with a population around only 33 million. It is hard to appreciate the emense vastness of this nation. For example, during the height of the Battle of Britain, many Britons sent their children to Canada to keep them safe. A friend of my Grandfather lived in Victoria (on the West Coast) and offered to house 3 children of his pal in London. He recieve a telegraph to the effect that the kids were arriving in a week in Halifax (on the East Coast), and he could pick them up there. He wired his friend in London and said "You pick them up, you're closer."

"His dominion shall be from sea to sea, and from the River
to the end of the earth." Psalm 72

And, of course, there's the struggle to retain our national identity and not be swallowed whole by the colossus to the south -- the USA. No other nation is so close to the USA geographically, economically, and culturally. That is why Canadians are alway quick to distance themselves from their southern neighbours.

I want to hear from others!

[!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Morocco the pearl of North Africa

very beautiful country, with a good underground scene

Austria

The country with:
[a href=\'http://homes.tiscover.com/project/tiscover01/index.html?_country=at&_lang=en\' target=\'_blank\']The Alps, Snow, Beautiful seas, Fantastic food culture, Mozart, Lippizaner-horses[/a]

and me [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

India is where one of the first civilizations was born. Our history goes back 5000 years. But the most amazing thing is that we've been able to retain a huge chunk of our cultural heritage in today's consumerism regulated world.

But the sad part is that today, majority of the Indian society is a little too hung-up on the past. They won't let the old ways go, and yet they want to be up front in the race. I think they need a little dose of Maiden to fix their act.[!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-The_7th_Son+May 28 2004, 01:49 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ May 28 2004, 01:49 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] ENGLAND!!!!

land of tea and crumpets.

No not really... i guess Americans would think that though. [/quote]
If you ask me, its ENGLAND, THE PLACE THAT IS RUN BY A MORON, AND IS ALMOST ALWAYS RAINING! [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Heh...The Duke forgot a few things about Canada's national identity:

Peacekeeping! Canadian invention and basically what we've been doing internationally since the Suez Canal crisis.

Beer! Our beer is better than American beer!

Hockey! Canada is the nation of hockey, no matter what you guys might think!

Well I guess one of the main factors is that we speak portuguese, while in the whole South America spanish is spoken.

But there are lots of other things that makes Brazil unique. Obviously you must had heard about the Carnival party and the soccer team. But, in my opinion, these are our "mainstream" factors. There are others, such:

** Beatiful beaches. One of the longest seashore in the world.

** About 180 million people.

** Lots of beatiful places like mountains, dunes, rivers.......

** I´m not sure, but I think, São Paulo the biggest metropolis in South America.

There are also not soo good factors. Like, loads of povertry, robbery, corruption and all that shit. The pefect place for the song "The Age of Innocence"

And last, but not least, Brazil is know amongst Maiden fans all over the world as one of "Maiden houses", a place with an awesome audience, always !!!

Nice thread. BTW, if I could choose what country I'd live in, I'd choose Canada for sure. I've been to both USA (lived there for 2 years) and Canada, but Canada's beauty is unsurpased... Maybe I appreciated the fluora of the city I was in (Toronto), as well as the spatiousness, since out of 10.000.000 (our population), 5.000.000 live in Athens (world record I'd think - half the population in one city). BTW, those satellites which determine what kind of landscape is at a certain area by measuring density etc... they classify Athens as a rock (!).

Greece. Well, here are the main points:

-here lies the dawn of the Western Civilization...

-As with many European countries, their national herritage got dilluted with Christianity, which led to our intellectual / philosophical demise after the coming Christianity and to our Enslavement to the Turks (after 10 centuries of Theocracy - Byzantine Empire) which started in 1453 and ended in 1821 (Greek revolution). Since then, Modern Greece is trying hard to stand up on it's feet, and the best we have managed is to be the most prosperous economy of the balkans, which isn't much btw, since most of our neighbours' economies were destroyed by communism (this is a historical fact, not a political opinion).

-Unlike Canada, Greece is a minature country, sth which is reflected in our architecture, our villages, our food, our way of life. I'm sure people will understand this better if they ever visit a Greek island. The landscape is characterised by two things:

-enormous variety: crossing through Greece you will meet valleys, mountains, rivers, seasides with abrupt interchange between them, which is fascinating. If you travel with train you will realise this.

-Shoreline... Look on the map... see how tiny Greece looks in relation to Africa? Well, Greece has a shoreline of 15.000km while Africa has one of 30.000km. We have about 2000 isalnds, most of them uninhabitted.

Abhi, you're a bit wrong. India was the home of some of the earliest human civillizations, but not THE earliest. Mesopotamia and Egypt have India beat by a millenia at least. I don't want to sound like I'm belittleing Indian history; I actually have a huge respect for and interest in the subcontinent's past. As a historian, however, I get hung up on little details like this though.

I believe the civilizations in China date back almost as far as well. But when you're talking in the 5000-3000 BC era...really, a thousand years can be lost pretty easily. Who really knows how far back some cultures really go?

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+May 28 2004, 04:06 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ May 28 2004, 04:06 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Beer!  Our beer is better than American beer![/quote]
[!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] What? No way! Our better is a lot better!

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+May 28 2004, 09:27 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ May 28 2004, 09:27 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] [!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] What? No way! Our better is a lot better! [/quote]
But Germany Czechia and the Limeys are making the best beers!!! [!--emo&:chug:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/beerchug.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'beerchug.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Who're you calling limey? [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+May 28 2004, 09:27 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ May 28 2004, 09:27 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] [!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] What? No way! American beer sucks! Budweiser is an american drink and the english bud has more alcohol in it. You have 3 bottles and you're out of it. Lightweights. [/quote]
you are kidding arent you? american

[!--QuoteBegin-PHLEG+May 28 2004, 02:34 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(PHLEG @ May 28 2004, 02:34 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] If you ask me, its ENGLAND, THE PLACE THAT IS RUN BY A MORON, AND IS ALMOST ALWAYS RAINING!  [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
england, the place where iron maiden originated. Where are you from? please dont tell me America or i will die with laughter at the comment 'the place that is run by a moron'

England - Home of cricket, rounders (baseball without the glorification), rugby (American football but more violent), proper football, crumpets, tea-drinkers, great comedies and of course, AM.

[!--QuoteBegin-The_7th_Son+May 28 2004, 04:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ May 28 2004, 04:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] America ... 'the place that is run by a moron' [/quote]
Yes, bush* is a moron. But remember that only about 1 out of 4 eligible Americans voted for him (I most certainly did not).

Also, bush* isn't really running everything. There's strong evidence to suggest that Cheney, Wolfowitz, Ashcroft and especially Karl Rove are making most of the decisions. The scary thing is that these guys aren't morons. They're evil, but they're not dumb.

Sports: American football is the 2nd most popular spectator sport in the world, behind only soccer. Baseball is incredibly fun to play (less so to watch, though). Basketball is also great fun to play, and can be great to watch if the teams are good.

Music: We invented the blues, jazz, funk, soul, gospel and rock 'n' roll. I'll admit that most of my favorite bands come from England, but we did it first.

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+May 28 2004, 11:57 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ May 28 2004, 11:57 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Music: We invented the blues, jazz, funk, soul, gospel and rock 'n' roll. [/quote]
The Blacks did. Are you Black? [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back