What Car do you drive?

I currently don't have a car and use public transport. My first car was a 1985 U.S army CJ-7 JEEP Wrangler. 6 cylendar, 4 speed, stick shift beast. My dad bought it in an auction and fixed it up with the Mexican taxpayer's money hehe. It was gorgeous:

75639_967891191232_7924810_n.jpg

Both the front and back fenders were solid metal (yup, one heavy gas gusler), fog lights, spot lights, designed to sit 6, but I had 8 people normally and without the top we managed 12 a couple of times hehe.

The first car I bought was a 1991 Chevy Berretta 6 cylander automatic. That thing could RUN and eat gas lol. Once did 110MPH from Phoenix to Tucson. I did a normally 2 hour drive in 45 minutes hahahaha. It got way too old and the repairs expensive, so I traded it in for a Chevy Aveo 2006. All bells and whistles, AC, MP3 player, heated mirrors, tinted windows, nice stereo, 5 speed stick shift. LOVED it. Did 90mph down west Texas and it was WHINNING lol. the rpms were up to 3.5 hahaha. It shook with the wind, very scary/exciting experience. Had that car for 9 years before trading it in for an Equinox. Very nice minivan, didn't have it long as I gave it back to the dealership when I moved back to Mexico.

I think I landed on the vehicle I want to buy. Cars in Mexico are EXPENSIVE. Now before you say, "Well, technically they're expensive anywhere," I'm talking about price vs. purchasing power, ease of credit, etc. In the U.S I bought my '06 Chevy Aveo making 7.50 an hour on a part time job. Here, working full time I can't afford that. Not to mention they've raised the price on every single bottom rung car. All prices will be in pesos.

When I first moved back to Mexico A '17 Aveo was 154,000MXN. Now? For 184,000 I can get the model with no radio or A/C. That's right... no A/C AND no radio. I think they mean no CD/tape player. Next model up is already 200,000MXN. To put it in perspective, AT MOST I can afford a 100,000MXN vehicle. Those cars don't exist anymore. They've either been discontinued or beefed up to justify their new pricetags.

I know what you're thinking, "Onhell, buy used." NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. I've had HORRIBLE experience with used cars, specifically, they're money pits. If something goes wrong with my car I want to be the one to do it so I know exactly why it makes that noise and I can fix it or it falls under warranty.
My GF has finally talked me into a nice compromise, a used car no more than 2 years old with low mileage and one owner.

So what are my options as a low income earner? Again, in the U.S I went for the cheapest new vehicle in the market, A chevy aveo, aimed at people exactly like me, first time car owners. The base model was 8,000USD. I worked at a car dealership so they didn't rob me blind, they actually told me all the shit they weren't going to charge me for being an employee, eye opening. My coworkers started making fun of me and suggested to get a Chevy Cobalt. Why? kid you not, because it LOOKED cooler. You know a "real man's" car. Uh-huh. So nothing to do with gas mileage, leg room, storage capacity... nope, looks sportier. the base Cobalt was 12,000USD, the "Luxury" aveo? 14,000USD. so for 2,000 more dollars I got a fully loaded model with tinted windows, A/C, MP3 player, etc, that I wouldn't get with the sportier car. Sign me up.

Clearly I don't have an issue with "compact" cars. But Mexico has a tiny problem the U.S has a better handle on... REALLY shitty roads. Potholes, speed bumps, actual ditches, yes, ditches, debris, etc. "economy" vehicles, besides not having radios and A/C are TINY egg shaped hatchbacks. Think, A FIAT 500 2 doors, but instead of being 490,000MXN, they're 168,000 to 220,000. STILL ridiculously expensive. Again, to compare, economy cars in Mexico not that long ago (10-15 years) ranged from 70,000 to 110,000MXN.

This huge preamble to say I landed on the Renault Kwid. It falls in the market of compact SUVs. While most of the critiques are cosmetic like visible screws on the door panel (who cares), the only valuable critique on the vehicle was it's power, a woeful 66hp. So I'm not going to win any races any time soon, but that's fine, it's just fine for urban life and traffic. Reviews said it didn't have leg room in the back seat (That's fine, it's just the GF and I and the dogs don't need leg room), don't live in hilly areas (check) and don't drive it constantly packed to the brim. Constantly? Not going to do that, but we are also planning a move and by lowering the back seats we'll be able to do most of it ourselves, only needing help with the big items like fridge, bed, couch and washing machine. It's fairly larger than the compact eggs and most importantly higher, making navigating flooded streets filled with holes and ditches much easier. The price tag? ALL three models are under 200,000MXN. The base model (with radio AND A/C!) 168,000MXN, a full 20,000 cheaper than the comparable hatchback model of any other economy vehicle. The midrange model is 184,000 and the luxury model is 196,000. The thought of doing something similar with this one as with my Aveo in the states crossed my mind. I can get a fully loaded luxury model for UNDER 200,000 rather than a base model with no A/C or radio hatch back egg for 184,000.

Began looking for Used prices and they drop A LOT. So when it comes time to buy it I'm sure we'll find a model that matches our price range easily. Gotta save for that downpayment lol.

I sold my beloved 2003 1.6 VW Golf Highline very recently. I miss the car, but you have to move on I guess. The Golf was really great on gas/petrol. I normally got in the region of 48 to 54 mpg. That's probably unusual for an old petrol 1.6 car. I did have to get some big jobs done on the Golf as the piston rings replaced though. I got €1,000 which is fantastic though. I decided to get a 2012/2013 Toyota Auris Hybrid. So far it's a fantastic car, and a health check was done from the dealer through the Toyota/Lexus garage nearby. I've covered about 600 miles, and it's a joy to drive. I'm getting an average of 57 to 58 mpg. The Auris has nice alloys, spoiler a great set of beefy speakers, and is awesome for going for a long Saturday or Sunday drive. Tax is also very low at only €180 per year. There are however a few things I don't like/love about each car:

The Golf what I loved
Great gas mileage
The large fuel tank of 55 liters
Very solid build quality
Great thud when the doors are closed
Eight speakers
MP3/Wav/CD/iPod connectivity
Good reliability if looked after
Great boot space

What I didn't like about the Golf
High road tax
No discount for the toll roads
The manual shift can be a pain especially in stop-start traffic
Cost to fill up from near-empty was about €76

What I love the Auris Hybrid
Toyota reliability
Low road tax
Excellent gas mileage
Excellent build quality
Very very smooth to drive
Automatic CVT gear shift
Great speakers
Comfortable speakers
Two glove boxes
No transmission tunnel going through the back seat
No engine idle at traffic lights
regenerative braking

What I don't like about the Auris
Some of the interior materials could be better
The gas cap has a little bit of play compared to the Golf
The medium fuel tank of 45 liters
No bucket seats
Boot doesn't have the same thud as the Golf
Health check does cost a bit, but is woth doing
No CD changer
No cruise control

Otherwise, the Auris Hybrid is a great car.

2018 Honda Civic. Other than the speakers being absolute shit, it's a delightfully lovely car.

I sold my beloved 2003 1.6 VW Golf Highline very recently. I miss the car, but you have to move on I guess. The Golf was really great on gas/petrol. I normally got in the region of 48 to 54 mpg. That's probably unusual for an old petrol 1.6 car. I did have to get some big jobs done on the Golf as the piston rings replaced though. I got €1,000 which is fantastic though. I decided to get a 2012/2013 Toyota Auris Hybrid. So far it's a fantastic car, and a health check was done from the dealer through the Toyota/Lexus garage nearby. I've covered about 600 miles, and it's a joy to drive. I'm getting an average of 57 to 58 mpg. The Auris has nice alloys, spoiler a great set of beefy speakers, and is awesome for going for a long Saturday or Sunday drive. Tax is also very low at only €180 per year. There are however a few things I don't like/love about each car:

The Golf what I loved
Great gas mileage
The large fuel tank of 55 liters
Very solid build quality
Great thud when the doors are closed
Eight speakers
Good reliability if looked after
Great boot space

What I didn't like about the Golf
High road tax
No discount for the toll roads
The manual shift can be a pain especially in stop-start traffic
Cost to fill up from near-empty was about €76

What I love the Auris Hybrid
Toyota reliability
Low road tax
Excellent gas mileage
Excellent build quality
Very very smooth to drive
Automatic CVT gear shift
Great speakers
Comfortable speakers
Two glove boxes
No transmission tunnel going through the back seat
No engine idle at traffic lights
regenerative braking

What I don't like about the Auris
Some of the interior materials could be better
The gas cap has a little bit of play compared to the Golf
The medium fuel tank of 45 liters
No bucket seats
Boot doesn't have the same thud as the Golf
Health check does cost a bit, but is woth doing
No CD changer
No cruise control

Otherwise, the Auris Hybrid is a great car.
Reads like some of Steve's lyrics...

I never had a drivers license for road of any kind and never owned a car. I can drive and know how to traffic, I just don't have a need for a car in my life. This was my thing

piaggio-vespa-px200-e-200-cm3-slika-55240974.jpg

Exact model. 1996 200ccm with electronic start, Italian.

I'm thinking about a scooter or bike. I don't consider a car affordable and got sick of wasting hundreds of pounds on lessons only to be told the instructor/car wasn't available any time soon for a test. We still need to do a Compulsory Basic Training certificate for a scooter, though, although this is part of the way towards having a motorcycle licence.

Exactly my problem. I don't need or want theoretical and driving hours. Here I would absolutely prefer the U.S. system of just the exam. I actually passed driving laws and about two thirds of the driving hours back in 2002. Some issues came up with the vehicle I was about to use when I get licensed, I paused for a while, concentrated on other stuff and never returned to it. Sadly because I paid then, while the current cost is 5x.

Also, can you do with these "scooters"?

ALUMINUM_UNIBODY_FRAME_720x.png

Scooter as a term is a bit wonky. We use it nowadays only for the motorbikes. But it was used for jet skis too.

I never had a drivers license for road of any kind and never owned a car. I can drive and know how to traffic, I just don't have a need for a car in my life. This was my thing

piaggio-vespa-px200-e-200-cm3-slika-55240974.jpg

Exact model. 1996 200ccm with electronic start, Italian.
I wanted a Vespa 250 for a while, but I moved back and again, while I could swing the price in dollars, I can't in pesos. And again the road conditions, not ideal for the small wheels. Thought of getting a 400cc motorcycle at my brother's suggestion, but soon after he was in an accident. A lady, first cut him off then, as he was going to pass her, simply threw her car at him. Thankfully no major injuries to him or major damage to his motorcycle, but it was enough to turn me off the idea.

I wanted a Vespa 250 for a while, but I moved back and again, while I could swing the price in dollars, I can't in pesos. And again the road conditions, not ideal for the small wheels. Thought of getting a 400cc motorcycle at my brother's suggestion, but soon after he was in an accident. A lady, first cut him off then, as he was going to pass her, simply threw her car at him. Thankfully no major injuries to him or major damage to his motorcycle, but it was enough to turn me off the idea.

Ouch. My cousin had some idiot cutting him off, he spent months in rehabilitation after slip and crash.

Vespas are top and the whole casual style that goes with them. However,

They do not have any advantages over city scooters apart from the 4 gear manual. She starts good on the traffic light even when loaded, cause you can shift normally. The e-starter on mine never worked. I always had to crank start her. She doesn't have automatic fuel intermix. You need to feed oil directly every time you refuel, usually you'll spill some, etc. The act is a bit inconvenient and the oil-related stuff takes half of the storage box. And it's half of your total storage cause fuel tank is below the seat. If you don't have a fully pumped replacement tire on her the balance is gone. Her tires are awfully small, the thing can go above 100 km/h easily. I've lost control at 15 km/h and fell. Nothing happened but it was frightening. When you drive a normal motorbike and lose control at some low speed it is exactly like losing control on a simple bicycle. With Vespa you're losing control of a moving chair.

They are sexy, but they have been superseded by regular scooters. It is a bike originally made from WW2 spares. There is so much compromise in her design it's probably taught at schools somewhere. In early 2000s scooter market began introducing models with large seats, 4 stroke engines, big tires, bikes that were close to Vespa size. Before 2000s these things were boxy abominations. Once this happened Vespa was done for.

Btw. I also had a buddy who was kind of a big liar. He'd make a story up for telling (to girls especially) and then put you in it, but in a very favourable position. He'd tell his story while you're there, so you don't go debunking him. Apparently my Vespa wasn't red shiny and new, it was black, half broken and in Iron Maiden livery. Now that's a good lie in my book.

Many vehicles, cars and motorcycles alike are living off of reputation alone. Harley-Davidson, Ford, Volvo, etc. When I wanted the Vespa it was on that traditional Italian style alone. There were better and cheaper ones out there. Honda makes some really good ones, but none had the vintage look. Here in Mexico there's a company called Italika, which makes cheap look-a-likes. They're scooters LOOK like vespas and their motorcycles LOOK like Harlys, but that's it. So I was going to go that route. The one my brother recommended was an Indian brand... can't think of the name at the moment... Bajak? something like that. Great blend of price, performace and durability. But yeah, after his accident I said NOPE, getting a car. Thankfully he didn't end up in the hospital, but he did limp for about 3 months.

Back