What are your favourite nineties albums and why?

What are your favourite nineties albums?

• Total voters
Fest of the dark, is Amazing doing drinking! Get this Badass feeling. And og you want to introduce maiden for girls, afraid to shoot strangers makes wonders. Atleast where im at.

Virtual XI and X Factor.

I really like No Prayer, but could only choose 2. Plus VXI and X Factor are precursors to the new maiden from BNW-present. And I love the new Maiden.

FoTD is just a bad album. I call it their Judas Priest album (which is weird cuz I love JP). That style does not work for Maiden. I wonder what their approach was when writing it. Maybe they were trying to do something more commercially accessible. But it didn't work.

Oh, and:

Dave Murray plays a lot of excellent (sounding) solos on Fear of the Dark. In my top 10 of Dave solos, there's no other album with the same number of solos as Fear of the Dark. These solos do not only sound very well but some of them also have more structure than usual and strong melodies, as if he had prepared himself more.

My favorite is No Prayer for the Dying. I know alot of fans don't like it, but I LOVE it. Bruce's vocals are grittier, the band sounds tight, and Janick does a good job filling in for our missing Adrian. Plus, gotta admit, Hooks in You is one of my all-time favorite tracks. Bash away, guys! lol

I can see the impression that he's just "filling in" on that album. Not as much personality in his solos and he didn't write anything. To me it just feels like two Dave Murrays. Fear of the Dark sounds like he's really established himself into the band with writing more and playing more identifiable solos.

To be hknest I think that Dave altered his soloing style in NPFTD.I guess to do fit the more solid rock feel of the songs.However this made his style come closer to Janick's.So I think that in NPFTD we kind of have two Janicks.Ok, a bit far fetched but I still think Dave changed his style a bit there.

Last edited:
I voted for the X Factor. It's the most consistent out of the bunch. Well apart from NPFTD which is consistently mediocre. The X Factor has some amazing epics live Sign of the Cross, Fortunes of War, Edge of Darkness, and The Unbeliever. It has a few good shorter songs such as Lord of the Flies and Man on the Edge. But then theres Look for the Truth and 2 AM which are the albums lowest points.

It's definitely the better album from the 90's. This is how I'd rank em

10. The X Factor
13. No Prayer for the Dying
14. Fear of the Dark
15. Virutal XI

The X Factor beating those 3 plus the first two albums.

To be hknest I think that Dave altered his soloing style in NPFTD.I guess to do fit the more solid rock feel of the songs.However this made his style come closer to Janick's.So I think that in NPFTD we kind of have two Janicks.Ok, a bit far fetched but I still think Dave changed his style a bit there.
Dave changed on this album indeed. Plays much more aggressively. Janick is already very recognizable. I don't think he sounds like Dave at all (we don't have to be rocket scientists to hear this: just listen to Holy Smoke). And he does a fine job on e.g. The Assassin, Mother Russia or Tailgunner.

Although in FOTD.,FHTE is a good example of not being able to separate who is doing which solo. At list I didn't at first.

Definetely The X Factor, followed by No Prayer, followed by Virtual XI, and Fear Of The Dark on the bottom.

I'm with the majority on The X Factor. After what I thought were Maiden's 2 weakest and worst albums, it was a great return to form. When I first heard it, Blaze turned me off quite a bit, but after quite a few years, I have really warmed up to his singing on it and enjoy it a lot.

I'm with the majority on The X Factor. After what I thought were Maiden's 2 weakest and worst albums, it was a great return to form. When I first heard it, Blaze turned me off quite a bit, but after quite a few years, I have really warmed up to his singing on it and enjoy it a lot.

It took me five years to get used to The X Factor. It was well worth the effort though!

Back