What are your favourite nineties albums and why?

What are your favourite nineties albums?

• Total voters

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Following Arbiex in this topic, I am trying to capitalize on the bigger member activity we're experiencing lately. It would be interesting to take on this subject with more people, now we're having the chance.

Looking back at the nineties, many people see these years as decline, the dark years, the "in between"-years, the years without Adrian Smith. Some Blaze fans see only the first two albums as such, and others only see the Blaze years as such. There are also people who only like one of these albums a lot, or people who dig one of the Bruce albums and one of the Blaze albums.

How do you rate these four albums, when comparing them to each other? I'll give you two votes.

Last edited:
My number one is The X-Factor, and second is probably No Prayer for the Dying. Then follows Fear of the Dark and Virtual XI sits at the bottom.

With your permission I re-post -slightly edited- what I wrote about these albums.

The X-Factor
Never before and after, Maiden was disliked by so many people as in the period of 1995-1998: The Blaze years.

For many young people this is perhaps strange to comprehend. They seem to appreciate this era, just like young people at that time, who grew up with Maiden in the nineties. Like me for instance. I didn’t understand so much disgust. So many people who loved them in the eighties turned their back on Maiden. There’s still some of them on this forum, I bet. Nothing terribly wrong with turning your back on a band, but I find it important to illustrate this, because in my mind it’s hard to separate it, when thinking about The X-Factor.

People who knew Maiden since the eighties and who still liked the Blaze years at that time were rare species, especially on the internet (Baeleron had furious newsgroup battles with the worst haters, to defend Blaze and the band. Maverick also appreciated this era, which can be seen in the Commentary).

A lof of (especially European and South American) gigs were still very crowded. Most people still cared to see a Maiden gig, which has always been a special experience. But a majority of the media and the fans didn’t like the Blaze albums, especially because of Blaze’s voice, the build-up of the songs, and the musical climate in these years.

Looking back, Janick couldn’t illustrate it in a better way with the following words:

“…X Factor I felt was a great album. Wasn’t well-received at the time. The grunge thing had happened, and every rock artist was canceling tours right across America. We went out and we played and we were the most unfashionable band at the time in the world, but we still went out and did the gigs and we enjoyed ourselves, and we thought we had a good album. See you go out and you play, and you make an album, and you hope the people like it, and if they do like it, got bless them, and the people that don’t, well, God bless them too."

I remember that The X-Factor review in Aardschok magazine was very negative. It said that the songs were too long, started too slow with too long and calm intros. Nowadays those same reviewers don't seem to bother about other albums with long intros. They rave about Opeth and every band with long songs has suddenly become fantastic.

Anyway, I never had a problem with longer intros. Afraid to Shoot Strangers and Fear of the Dark also contained these.

On The X-Factor Nicko does a very nice job, and the drumsound is also good. Apart from Somewhere in Time and A Matter of Life or Death I even like this drumsound the most from all the Maiden albums.

About the whole sound, I read often that people dislike the mix of the album. Everyone his own opinion, but I truly hear that the music (esp. guitars and drums) does not sound as thin as in Virtual IX, Fear of the Dark and even Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. I think it’s the 2nd best sounding album of the nineties (I prefer No Prayer for the Dying soundwise).

The solos also have something special. This is the only studio album where you can hear Dave’s solos from the left speaker and Janick’s from the right.

TXF's haunting, moody atmosphere was majorily caused by Steve who went through some hard times in his private life. It’s a big quality of this album, and makes it enjoyable to listen to it without a single pause. For such a long record (over 70 minutes!) that’s a rare thing these days, when loose songs are more important than whole albums.

The second half of the album is very strong, and perhaps also most underrated. I have always liked two songs that haven't been mentioned much in the past: Judgement of Heaven & The Unbeliever.

The mid-sections of The Educated Fool and No More Lies are in my ears clear rip-offs of the mid-section of Judgement of Heaven. I'd say The Unbeliever is one of the most interesting things Maiden have ever done! These acoustic guitars parts in the bridges, the instrumental mid-section with the boneshivering solos and almost tribal drumming, really superb!

I was never a huge fan of the studio version of The Edge of Darkness, but I remember it was surprisingly nice and way heavier, hearing it live in concert, back in 1995, and the song has a nice acceleration (like in Hallowed Be Thy Name). 2 AM is a nice moody ballad with a typical Janick solo (a la Wasting Love & Como Estais Amigos) and I love the atmosphere and the solos in the strong Blood in the World's Hands.

To end this in a more positive way than the beginning of this post:
This album is getting more and more recognition, and I'm very glad about that. It took a while, but it has the potential to be one of the most loved Maiden records of their whole discography. I hope that Maiden will feel that as well. Let’s hope they will perform another track of it in the future!

No Prayer For The Dying
This was one of the last albums that I bought during my discovery. I knew "Holy Smoke" quite well and also "Bring Your Daughter....To The Slaughter". As often, I discovered that the rest of the material was more interesting than the singles. I especially like the first half of the title track, "Fates Warning", the riffy "Public Enema Number One", the instrumental mid-section in "Run Silent Run Deep" and "Mother Russia" with its haunting keyboards!

No Prayer For The Dying is the most live sounding studio recording Maiden ever created. Seems they really wanted to move away from the polished sound of SSOASS. Everything sounds rougher than ever, of course because Bruce’s vocals do, but also the way Nicko sounds on this record. They both fit the approach.

Fear Of The Dark
This is a very special album for me because it was the first one that came out after I got into the band. My first concert was from the Fear Of The Dark-Tour. At that time I wondered what would have sounded better. "Fear Of The Tour" or "Tour Of The Dark". Uhh, right, anyway, back to the album! ;)

I liked the majority of the tracks with the exception of "Fear Is The Key" (hard to get into) and "The Apparition" with its simple couplets. "Chains Of Misery" wasn't that good either. More recently I start to appreciate these songs, I especially discovered quite a lot in the Apparition.

However, I liked the way "Weekend Warrior" developed into an intruiging song, containing beautiful harmonies, with acoustic guitars underneath it. Favourites were and still are "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" (probably my favourite 90's song), "Childhood's End", "The Fugitive", "Judas Be My Guide" and the title track. I have to confess that I also liked the singles this time. Especially the rocker "From Here To Eternity" with the cool Janick Gers solo.

I think that Iron Maiden does the album not much justice by playing only "Fear of the Dark". I know that the band wants to spellbind all these new people who witness Maiden for the first time. I can't blame them.

But at the same time it looks like they've completely forgotten that "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" had a fantastic reaction from the audience as well! I'll never forget that sea of v-shaped arms in the air, clapping along with the rhythm.

Virtual XI
According to Blaze's biography Maiden waited long with recording this album and when it finally happened they didn't take much time. He felt it was done in a rush.

Maybe this is why the songs don't contain as many details as in other songs. Big disappointment is Nicko. Nicko's drums are the dullest from all the records (he touches his toms 4 or 5 times on the whole album). I remember he said in an interview that he did that on purpose to give the music more room. But it didn't make the music more attractive. People have made some funny comments about it: Steve Harris had done the drums himself. ;-)
Nonsense of course, but when I was in Stockholm I actually saw an album by an artist called Steve Harris and he was the drummer!
Speaking of drums, Nicko's Muppet drums in the fast part of the instrumental section in Don't Look to Eyes of a Stranger are unforgivable.

Another critic of the time was that the album sounded like a demo, and not even one that was recorded well. In the album review I read the album's sound was compared with Helloween's Better Than Raw album, and it was trashed. I don't have much of a problem with the production sound. It's a warm sound, especially the rhythm guitars are roaring nicely from the speakers (or headphones).

I feel that there is a number of unoriginal moments on the album. A bit too easily Maiden fell back on things they did before. This happened on most of the later records as well but this was the start of it.

Remarkably this album only features one song by Janick Gers. Perhaps he had a writing block of some sort, but looking at his impact on the previous records (especially The X-Factor), I feel that the album might have suffered from the lack of his input. Thank God his playing was not blocked: He did one of his best guitar solos on The Clansman. And also in Como Estais Amigos.

Virtual XI also contains some spellbinding moments. Take for instance the intros of Lightning Strikes Twice and The Educated Fool!

In 1998 Blaze looked comfortable in his role as frontman and the band was on fire. Apart from the chorus of Lightning, the rest of the VXI-material went down very well.

I can enjoy the album but I simply do not find it as striking as most other stuff Maiden has done.

Last edited:
X Factor is definitely the best, it's a tossup between Virtual and No Prayer for second place. Virtual has the best songs of the two (Clansman, When Two Worlds Collide) but also the worst (Don't Look To) and I find the production to be very off putting. I can't stand the guitar tone and a lot of it just sounds flat. I don't really feel any energy on the album. No Prayer on the other hand is much more consistent, I don't really dislike anything on it but at the same time its best moments aren't too memorable. As a whole it's more enjoyable for me to listen to, but Virtual still has the better songs.

X Factor wins almost by default. I don't think it's among their best, probably somewhere in the bottom 8. It's a very good album though and easily their moodiest. I have a lot of respect for the band not taking the easy route by hiring a Bruce clone and churning out a collection of crowd pleasers. Instead they made something they could be proud of. Because of its moody nature (and partly due to its production), I don't find myself going back to this one much, but it's always a great listen when I do. I can understand the criticism of the long intros and such, it does feel a bit samey at times, but I think the album grows on you once you get past that. Really the only song I'm not too fond of is Edge of Darkness.

Foro gets a "like" just for the effort. I'd say it's a tossup between X Factor and No Prayer. X Factor is underrated by the public at large and overrated on this forum, when in fact it's somewhere in between. An important album in the band's musical history and development, but it falls short of greatness. FOTD is the most frustrating - the title track and Afraid to Shoot Strangers may be the best Maiden songs of the 90s, but much of the album is affirmatively bad.

they've completely forgotten that "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" had a fantastic reaction from the audience
I think they played it on their last tour (Maiden England redux).

Last edited:
X Factor is underrated by the public at large and overrated on this forum, when in fact it's somewhere in between.
This is exactly how I see it. People treat it like a "love it or hate it" deal but personally I just consider it a solid effort. Consistent, some great songs, but not a masterpiece by any stretch. In fact I think it merely lays the ground work for great ideas still to come.

My vote goes for x factor as well, with no prayer as a second, virtual xi and fear ad the last one. They all have their good moments and they all have a bad production, but in different ways. Or actually, no prayer doesn't, I'm perfectly ok with the sound of that one! I dont like the drum sound on Fear of the dark and both Blaze albums sound very sterile and separated, sound wise, it really doesn't feel like a band playing but rather a bunch of guys playing there parts separately to a meterone and then it's all put together. Also, of course, Nicos drumming on Virtual XI is lacking but I also find the rythm guitars on both Blaze albums to be a bit samey, both in tone and execution they play vet much alike and tight, making it sound a bit like one guitarist doing two takes instead of different players. I don't feel that way on any other records, including the first two ninties. And I don't care 5hat much for some of the lyrics on No prayer and Fear of the dark.
but that's the negative stuff! On the positive side a really love a lot of the song writing on the X factor and think Blaze really have the right voice for the material, I keep finding new gems even after 20 years, nowadays the unbeliever for example is one of my favourite tracks. No prayer on the other hand have a lot of energy and to me it still feels fresh with the shorter arrengments and the more rock oriented groove. And I think so much of the material is underrated, especially mother russia, running silent and assassin.

Fear of the Dark is such an inconsistent and boring album, in most places, compared to the bulk of Iron Maiden's material, whereas No Prayer, I get the feeling they were trying harder but in the same vein. VXI I adore out of nostalgia, but from a technical perspective there are many things that lack, yet it still has better material than most of NP and FotD.

The X Factor, is the only one of the four that feels like a complete Iron Maiden album to me.

Guitar work and tone is so much better in FOTD.The album is packed with wonderful riffs,breaks,leads and song structured.It feels like a real band is playing. NPFTD is quite good too I just prefer the more polished FOTD sound. Both Blaze albums have a very demo like sound and song structured (TXF also has a horrid cover too). Both these albums introduced the riffless songs,the slow and boring structures and the single guitar melodies which I detest.VXI has more of the Maiden values like speed and more groove.However the drum work is really basic and sounds like a drum machine is used....thus is also true for most TXF dongs to be honest.....And for that matter the 3 songs that survived in BNW and were writen at the time might have better been released in VXI

Fear and VXI.

I can't stand NPFTD. Fear has a few very good songs at least: first 3, last 1.

TXF has great highs but horrible lows by comparison. VXI is both more consistent and more fun.

Fear has even more horrible lows. Prayer doesn't have any highs. TXF and VXI for me

TXF came out when I had just split with my wife so the gloomy tone and introspective lyrics fit right with what was going in my life. Especially the song " 2 A.M."

Later I read that Steve had gone through a divorce himself and that it may have influenced TXF . That album was the soundtrack to that period of re-building from the bottom so it has a special place for me.

VXI was a lot of fun for me it was immediate and satisfying like a cheeseburger or pizza not fancy or complicated but damn it sure tastes (sounds) good!

There was a time when The X Factor was one of my favourite Maiden albums and I still highly regard it. Up until recently it would be no contest that it would get ranked as number 1 of the 90's albums for me. But I've been on a No Prayer kick recently and damn that is a great record! So I might have to give them a tie. Virtual XI and Fear of the Dark come in third and fourth, respectively.

The X Factor- I love the darker mood and I respect the hell out of Maiden for going with Blaze and the musical direction they went in. The songs are fantastic and due to their style definitely makes this an important piece of Maiden history. The performances are overall great from everyone (some would debate Blaze's but I think he did the best he could with the material he was given), and for me the bass playing really stands out as I find this was the last album of "classic" Steve style playing (I find his playing on all subsequent albums to be more restrained). The drums and bass sound really heavy but I don't care for the main guitar tone. While the cleans, leads and acoustics sound fine, the rhythms sound so dull and lifeless. I feel like Janick really came into his own on this album. He wrote a lot of strong songs and his guitar playing is excellent. As a side note, I love the three original b-sides and the cover of Doctor Doctor.

No Prayer for the Dying- Just about every song on here is great (Bring Your Daughter is a bit mediocre in my opinion) and I find they really stick with you. In that regard the "going back to their roots" songwriting style was a success. All the songs have punch and are loaded with spitfire riffs, solos, drumming and vocals. On that note, I enjoy Bruce's raspy performances. He has always had some grit to his voice in my opinion, and here he just utilized it more. The production is a step down from previous albums but I still enjoy it. This album was always just good to me but in the past several months I have listened to it more and more and it has really grown on me! I love it!

Virtual XI- I enjoy every song on here except for The Angel and the Gambler and some of them have very powerful moments. In particular the emotional solo section of Como Estais Amigos and the harmony of When Two Worlds Collide (one of my all time favourites). I feel this is the Blaze version of a classic Maiden album. However the production is probably the most stale of all Maiden albums. The guitars sound slightly better than the previous album but still not as powerful as they could have been. The drum and bass tones are a step down from The X Factor. As others have mentioned, Nicko's performance is very boring throughout this whole record. What a disappointment from such a talented musician. Overall I would say this album definitely does not deserve the hate it gets.

Fear of the Dark- This is the weakest Maiden album for me (although obviously when a band is this great that doesn't mean a whole lot) but still contains a lot of really good material. Be Quick or Be Dead is one of Maiden's most badass songs! The title track, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Judas Be My Guide and Wasting Love are all really good songs. The rest ranges from very mediocre to average. The production has a little more warmth to it than No Prayer and is overall very enjoyable.

I would love to see a 90's history tour but I really can't see that happening. At the very least hopefully the band will release Live at Donnington and have some Blaze concert footage to go on there along with the documentary stuff.

I go back and forth on ranking these all the time and it's not too easy. None of these albums are amazing from start to finish but they all definitely have moments that are amazing. I'd rank them as follows -

The X Factor - This album is my favorite probably more for sentimental reasons than anything else as The X Factour was my first Maiden show (in a tiny club no less) and my memories of listening to it are so tied to that show. I do still love the album for the most part - the long drawn out songs are definitely a template for the newer material. I've never been fond of Look For the Truth or 2 AM and always felt that both Judgment Day and Justice of the Peace should have taken their place as it would have made for a bit more exciting listen. I still put this on from time to time and like it. It's the only Blaze album where it sounded like he fit.

No Prayer For the Dying - I'm also insanely sentimental towards this album as well as it was the first Maiden album I ever heard back in early 1991. I was very new to heavy rock and metal at the time but I was hooked as soon as Tailgunner started. I was a Maiden fan right then and there. Back then I had no money or friends into metal at all so I had to save up money to buy CDs or whatever so all I had for about 6 months was No Prayer and I must have listened to it 2-3 times a day - it was the most amazing thing I'd ever heard. Now, in retrospect with a lot more Maiden listening under my belt, I can see that it is a flawed album and not super duper great but I still dig it. On any given day it would win as my favorite one from this time period. Heck, I even like Bruce's vocals on here.

Fear of the Dark - This was an important album for me as a fan because it was my first new release as a fan. I remember reading about the name of the album and seeing the artwork for the first time - it was so exciting! But even back then I didn't love all of the songs. I still think that Be Quick or Be Dead, From Here to Eternity, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Wasting Love, Judas Be My Guide and Fear of the Dark are great songs but that's about it for me. The rest vary from mediocre to terrible (Weekend Warrior and The Apparition are terrible songs). I do like the production and never really had a problem with Bruce's vocals here, I kind of dig the raspy style he was going for. I just wish the songs had been better.

Virtual XI - This is the one constant from this era for me - this is by far my least favorite Maiden album. I've rarely been more disappointed as I was when I heard this for the first time in 1998. It wasn't that I hated Blaze, I liked him a lot. The whole thing was just so mediocre for me and after a bunch of listens trying to get into it I just gave up. I revisit this album every so often and for the most part I still don't care for it. Terrible barn production, weak drumming, endless repetition doom the whole thing. The only bright spots for me are Futureal (great opener), The Clansman and the intro to Lightning Strikes Twice.

So, that's how I'd rank them. For the purposes of the poll I voted for TXF and No Prayer.

I enjoy Fear Of The Dark most. Maybe because it's the first Maiden album i ever listened to. I like every single track in it. Yes, even the Apparition!

No Prayer for me. I was 12 when I first got into maiden round the 7th son era so this was the first album I actually waited for, bought in the store on day of release, then ran home and listened to it while reading along to the lyrics on the cassette sleeve! listening now I can hear the faults but its still got a place in my heart that none of the other albums can touch. And that massive poster that came with the holy Smoke 12" was on my bedroom wall for several years! (Oh and for the record, I have to say that Virtual XI is not only the worst maiden album of the time - its possibly one of the worst albums released in the 90s by any rock band, period. Listen to it now, then listen to what Bruce, Adrian and Roy Z were coming up with at the same time - no wonder Rod was so keen to get everyone back together again!)

No Prayer For The Dying
I'd seen the Holy Smoke film clip before the album release and wasn't thrilled, however, it enabled Janick to introduce himself with an incredible guitar solo. I mourned Adrian's departure and so for sentimental reasons Hooks In You became and still is my favourite song on the album. Despite Maiden having lost some of its magic I enjoyed blasting the album through my portable cassette player (yes) while running through the pine forests at night. Favourite songs = Hooks In You, Running Silent Running Deep and Public Enema Number One.

Fear Of The Dark
I was ecstatic to purchase the new album but after the first few spins in my bedroom I had to will myself to enjoy the album. The only solid songs to my ears were The Apparition and Weekend Warrior. As great albums often take repeated listens to understand and appreciate I didn't stop playing the album and Childhood's End and The Fugitive (chorus excluded) soon grew on me. The title track was the most disappointing due to its lyrics. I mean, these guys in their 30s were singing about the fear of shadows and walking through parks at night? Seriously?Lyrics more along the lines of Killers would have been welcome. But it has become a killer live song live and now love it. I saw the band on Fear Of The Tour and loved the show - this put a silver lining on my experience of the album. GK1's persistent claims of this album's brilliance has convinced me to listen with open ears and I now truly appreciate the muted riffs in Fear Is The Key. Thanks man. Favourite songs = The Apparition (fabulous song. A dying person/spirit would not bother singing a chorus, the song is an apparition talking to us), Weekend Warrior, CE and the title track.

The X Factor
Sadly as a follower of trends I was in a grunge phase when The X Factor was released. (I currently have a hipster beard, yes a lemming for life!). And so I first discovered this album a few years after it was released. My initial distress at no Air Raid Siren soon subsided. The X Factor was as cohesive an album as Seventh Son and as daring as Somewhere In Time in the way it boldly broke new sonic ground for the band. To open with an 11 minute epic was a masterstroke. Blaze did an excellent job as vocalist and as a contributor to the songwriting. It is the production that hurts this album. The guitars do not sound "metal".,if they had used distortion akin to Sign Of The Cross on Rock In Rio or LOTF on Death On The Road this album would be in my top 5. This was the end of Maiden's rock'n'roll experimentation and the beginning of its modern epic era. Favourite songs = SOTC, Fortunes Of War, The Aftermath, Judgement Of Heaven.

Virtual XI
I agree with the general consensus among forum members that this is the band's weakest album. However, it is certainly not a bad album. The songwriting continued along the pathway towards the more epic and lengthy song structures that have been perfected during the reunion era. The album contains some of Maiden's most memorable harmonies of the 90s and some strong choruses. I still am not convinced Nicko played drums on this album. For such an extrovert and a creative drummer it makes no sense that he would play so metronomic throughout. Blaze seems to have been unfairly targeted as a weakness and culprit of Maiden's (temporary) decline from immortality - but he does a fine job. Janick's lack of contribution in the compositions results in a more monotonous sounding album than its predecessors. Favourite songs = The Educated Fool, The Angel And The Gambler.

1- The X Factor
2- No Prayer For The Dying
3- Fear Of The Dark
4- Virtual XI

Last edited:
Back