What are the biggest reunions in music that are yet to happen?

I just want to see John, Paul, George, Stu, and Pete hanging up old quarrels and banging one last one out together.

- Genesis with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett. Seems like it came close to happening a couple of times but never did, probably actually impossible now due to Phil Collins' health.

There's a funny story in Phil Collins' autobiography where he said the original line-up had a meeting about 20 years ago discussing a reunion tour, and Gabriel didn't say much and then left the room. The Gabriel era reunion was never discussed again

Oh there is many. I don’t like reunions, especially since all our favorites are becoming old by now.

Nightwish with classic line up - see Nightwish thread.

Stratovarius with classic line up - Stratovarius is really on fire nowadays. The new album is their best in God knows how long. They don’t need no reunite in my opinion, but I’m sure they get offers all the time for Helloween style reunion. Timo Tolkki is still very fragile, still has lots of problems, and don’t want to tour for weeks on a bus, so I don’t think he will be back other than the occational performance. I think Jani Liimatainen will join them if Mathias quit one day. Jari and Jörg should be no problem being back in the band.

Sonata arctica with Jani Liimatainen and Marko Paasikoski - It could happend one time, but not until they are done releasing the new album and the upcoming world tour.

Battle beast with Anton Kabanen - Probably in 10 years time, or earlier if one of the bands fold first.

Guns’ n roses with Izzy and Steven - I’m very happy for the last seven years. All they need to do now is record a new album with new original songs. It will never be as popular as back in the 87-93 era. So if Axl feels he need more cash, he has to reunite with Izzy and Steven. Guess both are not up touring for years though.

Immortal with Abbath and Horgh - Abbath will play only Immortal songs next year. The writing on the wall is there. They need to lay of their egos all of them, stop suing each other, and just show up in a rehersal room and cranck out some tunes

Opeth with Peter Lindström back - probably not, but who knows?

Marillion with Fish - It will never happen full time, but maybe some special gigs before it’s too late?

Edguy - no activity since 2017. Avantasia got bigger and more profitable. In 2027, I guess they will return after getting an offer they can’t refuse.

Skid row with Sebastian Bach - this is one thing I actually hope it will happen some day. But someone must pay them a shitload of money for it to happen.

System of a down - Will they ever release a new album and do a world tour? I think not

Venom with classic lineup - Maybe if they get paid alot, they will do some one off with Mantas and Abbaddon?

Gamma ray with Kai Hansen back on vocals - this will probably not happen, especially as he is back full time in Helloween, but maybe Wacken will pay Kai & co tons of money for a one off gig doing either Land of the free or Somewhere out in space one day?

Blind guardian with Thomen Stauch - No, at least not a fulltime gig.

Kamelot with Roy Khan - I can see this happen in a few years. If Khan can handle heavy touring.

Rhapsody of fire with classic lineup - It will probably never happen, at least not with Luca Turilli. He seems done with metal music. But maybe one or two other members could come back.

Sigur Ròs - They only miss Orri now. I hope he comes back soon, their last album really miss his drumming.

Simon & Garfunkel - Guess it’s too late. They are both very old now, and have reunited countless times. They should enjoy their retirement with their grandkids instead.

Oasis - Probably not

Savatage - They are on their way back. Hope they can keep it up a while, but Jon’s comments implies they are not in for the long run, just closing the circle.

Sepultura with classic line up - not too unrealistic, but someone is very stubborn there. Sepultura do fine with their current line up thought

Judas priest with KK Downing - it will never happen. The guys have just a few years left, and no one seems to be talking at all. The same can be said about Udo, Peter Baltes and Accept, Deep purple and Ritchie Blackmore, Yngwie Malmsteen with a singer

Faith no more, Queensryche and Rage against the machine (classic lineups) - Give them ten years when the members are broke, and they will do one final tour.

Mötley crue and Kiss should have quit in the early 2000’s when they actually reunited and did very well. Slayer and Black sabbath will probably never play together either.

Rhapsody of fire with classic lineup - It will probably never happen, at least not with Luca Turilli. He seems done with metal music.

I wouldn't bet on that. He's having his "Michael Jordan baseball moment", sure, but I'm convinced he'll be back.

That's more than mere copium - he's gonna need the revenue and his Einaudian side projects won't keep him afloat.

Part of the reunion shtick is exactly that - the bands needing the boost, the clout, some of that fan adoration back. That's why I think that once they'll all need it, I bet Rhapsody will return in the original line up - unlike some of the other bands, they have a much better position to do so (being at least on speaking terms as far as I know). But we'll see.

Simon & Garfunkel - Guess it’s too late. They are both very old now, and have reunited countless times. They should enjoy their retirement with their grandkids instead.
I mean, what else would they do together? Paul Simon carried that duo from the very beginning and Art Garfunkel was largely a glorified backing vocalist. The live performances together over the years are probably the most you can ask for.

BTW I really enjoyed Paul Simon's latest album Seven Psalms. Nothing super fancy but just more of the really top notch songwriting that he's known for.

Queensrÿche - Tate, DeGarmo, and Rockenfield
Metallica - Dave Mustaine
Yeah, the classic line-up would be a dream come true. Geoff is singing very well these days, especially for his age. Unlike Axl and co, they would pull it off.

Marty Friedman - Megadeth
I'd pay big buck for this. But the whole show, not just a song or two.
Before COVID there was talk of a Van Halen reunion that featured all three vocalists, Roth, Hagar, and Cherone (Nuno has confirmed this in an interview). The fact that this didn't come to fruition and that Van Halen kinda fizzled out in the last couple of decades is one of Rock's greatest tragedies.
I find it even funnier that both Roth and Hagar were up for this but the Van Halen brothers disliked the idea in the end. With Eddie gone, Alex crossed any idea of playing under Van Halen name and I completely respect that decision.
Buddy, they just dropped a new song despite two of them being dead, what more do you want?
That video was one of the most uncomfortable shits I've seen lately.

I don't know if this was his shit talking or fan-wishing but somewhere sometime was a mention of Lee and Lifeson playing Rush songs with Portnoy on drums and I think that would sell well (and I'd probably go).

I find it even funnier that both Roth and Hagar were up for this but the Van Halen brothers disliked the idea in the end. With Eddie gone, Alex crossed any idea of playing under Van Halen name and I completely respect that decision.
Van Halen is a total enigma in general, always has been, so pretty much everything we know about the inner workings of the group is hearsay. With that being said, I've heard talk that Alex runs the band and had major beef with both vocalists which made them resist the idea or anymore touring to begin with even though Wolfgang was trying really hard to put the band out there more (and later on Alex was the one that prevented any big EVH tribute concerts after his passing). I also know that prior to COVID, there were reports that the tour was going forward and shows were being booked.
I don't know if this was his shit talking or fan-wishing but somewhere sometime was a mention of Lee and Lifeson playing Rush songs with Portnoy on drums and I think that would sell well (and I'd probably go).
I saw this claim as well (and the joking mention that history will repeat itself and MP will quit Dream Theater to join Rush full-time only to be dismissed immediately after). I think it's largely fan wishing that MP would be on drums, but I actually do think Lee and Lifeson are going to do Rush shows again. Seems like it just comes down to whether Alex feels physically up for it and Geddy has been (imo intentionally) fanning the reunion flames. I don't think it's going to be MP though, I think it's going to be Tim Alexander from Primus. All speculation.

Combing this thread to poop all over it…
  • Metallica have zero reason to welcome back Newsted, even if he was interested. A guest spot? Sure. But Robert’s not going anywhere. He’s as mailable and non-confrontational as Kirk (except he can play his instrument).
  • Khan is never going back to Kamelot. He enjoys the quieter life and could never handle Kamelot’s intense touring. Tommy just quit his other (better) band in order to commit to more Kamelot touring. They are also as successful as ever without Khan. No reason for them to reunite.
I fully believe that an Oasis reunion is more plausible than most of the things listed in this thread.

Van Halen is a total enigma in general, always has been, so pretty much everything we know about the inner workings of the group is hearsay. With that being said, I've heard talk that Alex runs the band and had major beef with both vocalists which made them resist the idea or anymore touring to begin with even though Wolfgang was trying really hard to put the band out there more (and later on Alex was the one that prevented any big EVH tribute concerts after his passing). I also know that prior to COVID, there were reports that the tour was going forward and shows were being booked.

AFAIK Eddie had the first and last word on music, and Alex had the first and last word on everything else. DLR and Hagar had their input, and Michael Antony was looked upon as a hired gun. This summer, I watched a fan-made documentary about the 1984 album and tour. It can be hearsay, but the guy who made it referenced a lot of biographies from the people who were around them at the time. I was surprised at how toxic the atmosphere was around the band.
I've heard the reports about shows being booked, but I think it was DLR who shot down those rumors and said: Eddie will tell the rest of the story. Unfortunately, Eddie never issued a press release, and we know what happened after. And I've read somewhere that Alex took Eddie's passing really hard, I completely understand his decision.
Also, a couple of days ago, Wolfgang did an interview, and they asked him why some VH albums are missing from streaming platforms, and Wolfgang pretty much answered: DLR didn't want to put "A Different Kind Of Truth" back there. Why? Who the fu** knows...
I saw this claim as well (and the joking mention that history will repeat itself and MP will quit Dream Theater to join Rush full-time only to be dismissed immediately after). I think it's largely fan wishing that MP would be on drums, but I actually do think Lee and Lifeson are going to do Rush shows again. Seems like it just comes down to whether Alex feels physically up for it and Geddy has been (imo intentionally) fanning the reunion flames. I don't think it's going to be MP though, I think it's going to be Tim Alexander from Primus. All speculation.
I've seen Geddy's trailer about bass players, and Les Claypool was one of the guests so I guess Geddy knows about the band. Last I remember, Lifeson had arthritis but could still play occasionally, right? Also, whatever people think about Portnoy, I say he respects them and Peart enough to do an honest job and avoid his Portnoy-isms.

- Peter Gabriel and Genesis (not that unlikely, now that Phil Collins is too ill to perform - still, Peter Gabriel has got a new album coming soon)
- David Coverdale has evoked releasing one last Whitesnake album with former members: John Sykes comes to mind, but I think it wouldn't fit the "love is all around" general feel of the entreprise.

- Neal Morse and Nick D'Virgilio and Spock's Beard (this time on a permanent basis).

- The early David Lee Roth Band (Vai, Sheehan, Bissonnette... unfortunately Brett Tuggle died recently), which came very close to happening four or five years ago.

- John Deacon coming back to Queen would probably yield something interesting, whoever the singer is.

- Queensrÿche and Skid Row reuniting would be great but only if the business offers are sufficient to make it credible (i.e not touring bike shows and coming to Europe only for festivals). But I doubt the decisioners of the music business would put enough money on the table to make it happen.

And of course, I'm eagerly waiting for new output from R.E.M and Rage Against The Machine... provided they want it themselves and release something good.

Big regrets (due to the death of a key member): Angra (André Matos), UFO (Pete Way), Velvet Revolver (Scott Weiland)

Last edited:
Back