Weird tales of history

Different planet, innit. I'll never forget my trip to Gansu several yeas ago.
If I remember correctly, you drove through the northwest on your own some time ago; I was driven around by our hosts but still.

You’ve been to Gansu! Wow. Respect. What other places of China you’ve been to?
Yes I’ve done the full Hexi Corridor 4,000 km drive started from Qinghai lake all up to Dunhuang and down to Lanzhou via Rainbow mountains etc.
Best part was that Senjutsu was just out and excitement was double.
West of Dunhuang there is a geo-park in the outskirts of Xinjiang looks like a Martian landscape. I took a lot of inspiration there related to the story I’m trying to write down in this very thread.

Taklamakan is definitely a place I want to see with my own eyes or even cross and I want to walk in the streets of Kashgar and see the “biggest street market in central Asia”!
Maybe I’ll do in inside 2024, we’ll see :)

*not on my own, I was with her ladyship, but yes, no hosts involved.
In west China there are places that we are not allowed to stay overnight (you can still drive through though) so you need to be fully integrated with social media, language and the country to know all that. And there are many hotels even in Shanghai that foreigners are not allowed to stay, as government put minimum requirements for foreigners accommodation.

https://forum.maidenfans.com/thread...d-thoughts-on-senjutsu-here.71841/post-939562

Göktürks

A few days ago in Thailand, I met a woman from Türkiye, Pontus, Black Sea. She looked like Tatar and her name was Burce. I noted that it sounded like Börte the wife of Genghis Khan she told me that it’s essentially the same name and praised me for that.
Her husband comes from a family of ancient Greeks-turned-muslims -to-stay, back in the 1920s, his parents were still speaking Greek in the house. His name is Gökkhan a pre-Islam Turkik name. We saw each other in WhateApp, his face and posture is like an ancient Greek sculpture.

I always thought that Gökturks were from the West and Mongols in the East, but actually the overlap was huge. Actually from your yesterday’s post the area it was pretty much identical with what is today Inner Mongolia.

Which post was that?

And which that?? :blink:

You’ve been to Gansu! Wow. Respect. What other places of China you’ve been to?
Not my merit, I was there as a member of a joint project between our academies of sciences.
Nowhere else practically, just two brief stays in Beijing before and after Gansu. Managed to see the zoo and the Forbidden City nevertheless.
I've seen very little of China but what I did is unforgettable for sure.

Not my merit, I was there as a member of a joint project between our academies of sciences.

Oh great! Gansu is kind if deep cut. Remember the elephant pictures I was sending you in September 2021? They were all taking from Gansu.

Nowhere else practically, just two brief stays in Beijing before and after Gansu. Managed to see the zoo and the Forbidden City nevertheless.
I've seen very little of China but what I did is unforgettable for sure.

I don’t know Beijing too well, but it certainly has some huge parks to run. It has a cultural depth that Shanghai lacks but I believe life here is way better. At least for a foreigner.

Back