Weird sound during solos on Piece of Mind

Hey guys!!! I'm new on here  :) .

OK... so I have the remastered 2002 version of Piece of Mind and during the solos there are weird popping and cracking noises. I didn't know if it was just my cd so i downloaded a couple of tracks off the internet just to see if it was just the cd.. but it cracked during the solos on there too... the noise is making me pretty mad.

So have any of you heard it on the remastered version?
If needed I can put exact times a hear the sounds.

That is indeed needed.

Edit: I don't have the remaster, only the original. But you'll need to post those times for whoever does have the remaster.

If it's on Where Eagles Dare, it's supposed to sound like a machine gun firing during the escalating of the confident men, on the Bavarian Alps. It's there since the vinyl pressings.
Of course it is during the solo, SMX, not on a riff. You need to relisten to it, too. It's just when Dave enters the solo, with those amazing bends and whammy bar dives.

lol I know that... its like a popping sound or crackle like if u crumple up a piece of paper... it happens at 2:15 on the trooper and does it a couple more times. 3:02 on die with your boots on

I heard both. Sounds like bad mp3 files with those pops, but it is low in the mix. There's a drop in the sound on The Aftermath solo, too, but it has a pop together with the drop. Well, if it's a tape problem, then we'll hear this on all the pressings of the album; if it's not a tape problem, then the mastering of these remasters was faulty.

Jeffmetal said:
Of course it is during the solo, SMX, not on a riff.

Which is exactly why I deleted that post about 3 seconds after I made it, realizing I was wrong. It was deleted before you responded. Do try to keep up. :p

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah... When I saw that you had just erased your post, I thought to myself "SMX just remembered it's on the solo..." Ahahahahahahahahahahah... I knew you wouldn't miss that for too long. :p

All of my Maiden cds are remastered. It only happens on Piece of Mind. When I got it 5 years ago it happened also... right out of the case. It still has no scratches or anything.

Perun said:
Sounds like poorly ripped MP3s to me.
? Do you mean when I put them on my computer? That has happened to me a couple times on other CDs, but if it does I go back and listen to the cd to make sure it was that and then redo it. But its bad on the CD.

cornfedhick said:
Might this not be clipping, a consequence of the "loudness war"?  See this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war.

A common problem, which is why I try to avoid "remastered" CDs or at least buy with caution. 

The remastered CDs all sound good except Piece of Mind during the solos

It could be a factory error, a cd that was damaged before the burning process...

gulranek said:
It could be a factory error, a cd that was damaged before the burning process...

I thought about that, but I downloaded a couple of the songs off the internet from the remastered version and they popped in the same spots

If it is a factory error, then they would pop in the same spots.

CDs are manufactured in batches by machines. If the machine has a flaw, it will impart the same flaw to every disc in the batch. Such could be the case here.

willierocks1029 said:
it happens at 2:15 on the trooper and does it a couple more times. 3:02 on die with your boots on
yep, heard those above too, just listened to the '98 remastered CD
they're there, it's not "just a mistake"

SinisterMinisterX said:
CDs are manufactured in batches by machines. If the machine has a flaw, it will impart the same flaw to every disc in the batch. Such could be the case here.
Of course, I know that, but isn't there still a possibility that one disc would be damaged due to transport or whatever, before the music being burned on it? Never mind, since others say that the popping appears in the same place on other CDs.

cornfedhick said:
Might this not be clipping, a consequence of the "loudness war"?  See this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war.

A common problem, which is why I try to avoid "remastered" CDs or at least buy with caution. 
If everyone who has the same remaster hears the same thing, then guess what: it is a bad remaster. I'm sticking with my clipping guess. The way it is being described in these posts is exactly what clipping sounds like, popping and crackling.  It doesn't sound like a manufacturing problem.

This will probably take the topic in another direction, but I have to ask.

What's the point of remastering albums that sound good to begin with? I mean, remaster The X-Factor, that should be done, okay (too bad that it hasn't been done already), but remaster Piece of Mind or Powerslave? Why? Shouldn't the band have a say in it as well?

Back