Weird sound during solos on Piece of Mind

gulranek said:
albums that sound good

That's a subjective matter I'm afraid. What's good?

I know someone who thinks the remasters of the first Maiden album sounds better than the original.

I thought Bruce's Accident of Birth sounded good when it came out, I thought Priest's British Steel sounded good when I first heard it. In both cases, the remasters make those originals sound as pale as Santa's ass.

Remastering albums from the vinyl era makes some sense. Albums from the CD era? Only if the original production was bad, but the performances were good ... and that's rare.

In some cases the mix can be improved. E.g. on British Steel the drum sound was improved, it sounded heavier, bigger in the mix.  Also the guitars sounded stronger, almost like it wasn't recorded in 1980 but later.
I don't mean it sounds re-recorded, but improved in such a way that it sounds like it was done later. Thus heavier in my ears.

On AOB the guitars sound different on the remaster. Better, more in your face than on the first release. I don't exactly know what tricks were done, but I am really happy with the results. Plus the extra bonus tracks of course.  :D

The Bruce Dickinson and the Judas Priest remasters were the best ever when it comes to metal act remasters. Worth all the money.

The new Black Sabbath deluxe remasters are second to none. It's even better than Rush and Priest remasters, which are incredible! Bruce remasters I still got to get around.

Remastering is fine and dandy if it actually improves the sound.  Too often these days, however, remastering just makes the song louder.  (See my "loudness war" post above.)  This is done with iPods and MP3's in mind -- companies and even some artists want their songs to be as loud or louder than other songs on the consumer's iPod.  This happened with radio, too, and also happens with TV commercials being much louder than the program itself.  But it has accelerated with digital downloading.  

We've all been there: listening to a mix of songs on your MP3 player, and there is one song that just seems softer than the others.  So, you have to turn up the volume, and then when the next song comes on, it's way too loud.  Kind of annoying.  However, chances are pretty good that it's the softer song that's been PROPERLY mastered, as it has a wider dynamic range, i.e., the range between soft and loud.   Newly remastered classical CDs, for example, don't tend to be nearly as loud as newly remastered rock CDs, because classical music is geared more toward audiophiles than iPod users.  (The same may be true for other styles such as jazz, too.)  If you hear crackle on a CD, that's a pretty good bet that the album is just a shitty master geared more at making the song loud than dynamic.  Some bands really do care about having their stuff (re-)mastered properly:  Bob Ludwig, the famous mastering engineer, commented that he was pleasantly surprised when Axl Rose told him he wanted Chinese Democracy to be mastered with greater dynamic range -- it was rare and refreshing from a hard rock artist.  Other bands that cater to audiophiles are Tool, Pink Floyd and (on some albums) Opeth.  Iron Maiden is not among them.  (Nor is Metallica -- Exhibit A: Death Magnetic.)  

One last note:  I always chuckle when I see "digitally remastered" on a CD of a classic album.  EVERY analog recording MUST have been digitally remastered for the CD format -- the very process of digitizing the music so it can be digitally read by a CD player is "digital remastering."    

Forostar said:
You'll get a sh*tload of bonustracks. I'd say do it.
I agree, they're worth it, most of the remasters now come with a bonus cd.

As for the remastering, I have noticed it on Balls to Picasso and it was a very good job. As for AoB, I didn't notice it that much.

Another well-known loudness war casualty is RHCP's Californication (as opposed to the brilliant Blood Sugar Sex Magik).

The bonus tracks I already have, remastered. What I don't have are the original albums remastered. I'll get it ASAP.

Which was the first Maiden album from the cd era ?

According to wikipedia, this industry was established in the first half of the 1980's, and in 1985 the frontier of one million copies was firstly surpassed by Dire Straits.

So, Powerslave maybe ? or LAD ?

The only remastered album i have is SIT (not the original album, i'm afraid) so i can't compare anything.

From Killers to SSOSS the sound is  superb. I wouldn't change anything.  I don't like the production of the first album that much, though the album itself is amazing. It's worth purchasing the remastered IM album ?

I know for sure that Seventh Son of a Seventh Son had an original CD issue. The singles were also released as CDs- those from Somewhere in Time weren't.

Rotam said:
Which was the first Maiden album from the cd era ?

I think that the first album released on CD was Iron Maiden. Then Killers, then NOTB.

I assume that all three came out on CD in 1982.

All these three original albums have the year 1982 on the compact disc. It says:
1982 Original Sound Recordings made by EMI Records Ltd

Iron Maiden has the following numbers (also on the CD):
CDM 7 520182
UK-CD-FA 3121

Killers features the following numbers (also on the CD):
CDM 7 520192
UK-CD-FA 3122

The Number of the Beast features the following numbers (also on the CD):
CDP 7 46364 2
UK-CD-FA 3178

These numbers show the order of release.

The first Iron Maiden album recorded in the CD era is probably NOTB, or else POM. I really think it's Beast because its number 3178 is much higher than the number of Killers (3122) which immediately followed the number of the debut album (3121). This indicates that Beast wasn't released on CD, at the same time with the first two albums. Also the other number of Beast (CDP 7 46364 2) is pretty different from the numbers of the first two albums (which are also close together). This gives me the idea that it came out later (probably because it wasn't recorded/available yet). So it must have been recorded in the CD era. If it wasn't, then we at least can say that Maiden CDs were already on the market before NOTB came out in 1982, on CD.

Rotam said:
I don't like the production of the first album that much, though the album itself is amazing. It's worth purchasing the remastered IM album ?

Which (CD) version do you exactly have?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Maiden_(album)#Track_listing

Hey, is this a good place to bring up my annoying issue with the remasters?
when I put the disc in, it says "this program needs at least 3mp of virtual memory to run".
I found a soultion but it only works for programs on the hard drives, and not from the cd drive.

Any ideas? If not, how ccan I rip the cd's to my hard drive? It's not like a normal music cd in that aspect.

Forostar said:
I think that the first album released on CD was Iron Maiden. Then Killers, then NOTB.

I assume that all three came out on CD in 1982.

I very much doubt that. Perhaps they existed somewhere as CDs, but they certainly weren't available to the average consumer. No CDs were, in 1982. I never saw a CD in a store until 1986.

Hell, CD players weren't even available in 1982. Sure it existed as a technology, but it wasn't being manufactured for the masses.

The big media issue around 1982 was VHS vs. Beta. CDs were a few years away. I don't know what those dates on your CDs refer to, but it is most certainly not year of public release in CD format.

I didn't have a CD player until 1993 I think. :)

Just did some research. In those early days the players were very expensive, but the CDs were out there.
Read on, if interested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6950933.stm
...In April 1982 Philips showed off a production CD player for the first time. "From now on, the conventional record player is obsolete," said Lou Ottens.

The first commercial CDs pressed were The Visitors by Abba and a recording of Herbert von Karajan conducting the Alpine Symphony by Richard Strauss.

US record labels were initially very sceptical about the CD. A year after launch there were 1,000 different titles available...

+

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6950845.stm
...The first CDs went on sale in November 1982 and were mainly classical recordings...

+

Check this topic.
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... p?t=143944
Some people post lists of many non-classical CD releases from 1982-1983 (you don't have to read all the posts, you can just focus on the lists, though some posts are still informative).

I didn't see the EMI label yet (no Maiden).

Rush's Signals is there, also Moving Pictures.

Back