Wasting Love

How good is Wasting Love on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Wasting Love' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

The Fugitive

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Fugitive' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'wasting Love'

hey love the site but i wanted to let you know i was reading about the single wasted love on your site and it says its the same as the one on fear of the dark and trust me its not its mixed and edited way differnt than fear of the dark's version and its more of a promo than a single i found out after mine got wrecked and tried to replace it its very rare promo from holland if you look in to getting one the average price is about $200 from what i saw on the net I got lucky and found one on ebay for $66 anyway thanx for the great site

'wasting Love'

Cheers darklordki, I'll keep it in mind for the next update [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'wasting Love'

[!--QuoteBegin-darklordki+Jun 11 2004, 07:53 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(darklordki @ Jun 11 2004, 07:53 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] hey love the site but i wanted to let you know i was reading about the single wasted love on your site and it says its the same as the one on fear of the dark and trust me its not its mixed and edited way differnt than fear of the dark's version and its more of a promo than a single i found out after mine got wrecked and tried to replace it its very rare promo from holland if you look in to getting one the average price is about $200 from what i saw on the net I got lucky and found one on ebay for $66 anyway thanx for the great site [/quote]
may I correct you?
There's a maxi CD as well as a promo out there. And the single maxi is a single, not a promo. But yes, it is rather rare. 200 $ would be far too much for it anyway, just as 66$ are, it usually goes for 30 - 40$ on ebay.
If you do have the promo, then 66$ should be a good price though

'wasting Love'

An unusual song for Maiden, which makes it stand out from the rest of the album. I really like the different style of the verses compared to the chorus. Bruce also sounds much better on this song than on some others on the album.

'wasting Love'

[!--QuoteBegin-Uwe+Aug 23 2004, 03:27 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Uwe @ Aug 23 2004, 03:27 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]An unusual song for Maiden, which makes it stand out from the rest of the album. I really like the different style of the verses compared to the chorus. Bruce also sounds much better on this song than on some others on the album.
[snapback]84229[/snapback]​
[/quote]

yeah i agree totally. the clean riff during the verses sounds very nice, i wanted to learn this song on guitar the first time i heard it! the solo is very simple but nice too, i think this is the easiest solo in a maiden song that has a solo? correct me if im wrong. the video for this is pretty cool too; very dark and unlike a typical maiden video. id say 4 stars for this one.

'wasting Love'

Nice intro and great chorus. 4 stars. Reading the Commentary, I would tend to disagree that the song is about not being able to tie down a lover because sex is so accesable. I think that the song is about celibate Monks and Nuns, and the love that they would have had, but now they are wasting.

Maybe I am wrong but the lines...
Dream on brother while you can
Dream on sister, I hopw you find the one

... seem to indicate that the brothers and sisters are holy ones in the religious order???

'wasting Love'

The Commentary simply retranscribed what Bruce said in an interview. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'wasting Love'

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Sep 13 2005, 06:39 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Sep 13 2005, 06:39 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The Commentary simply retranscribed what Bruce said in an interview.  [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]118192[/snapback]​
[/quote]
It would be great if anybody had a link to this interview. I'm still convinced that there is some religious element in this song. Watching the video on "Visions of the beast", it is clear that there is a sinister Bishop character lurking in the background. This may be meant to signify how religious leaders expect Priests and Nuns etc to lead lives of celibacy even though they have no idea how tough that sort of life would be.

This contradicts the other part of the video where the man tattoos the names of his lovers on his back. If this is just an ordinary man without a connection tom a religious position, why is the Bishop in the video, and why are the lyrics clearly stating something to do with religious order?

'wasting Love'

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Jan 6 2006, 01:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Jan 6 2006, 01:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]This contradicts the other part of the video where the man tattoos the names of his lovers on his back.  If this is just an ordinary man without a connection tom a religious position, why is the Bishop in the video, and why are the lyrics clearly stating something to do with religious order?
[snapback]126460[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I have a theory, let's say this guy believes in God, but you know, the priests always say that fornication is bad, so maybe this guy feels a lot of pain because he has a lot of love to give to women, but his religion makes him hesitate about this and that's why he is Wasting Love.

'wasting Love'

My take on Wasting Love:

I think its a good song, not great, but good nontheless. It's easily on of the best on Fear of the Dark, and in my opinion, it has one of Jan's best solos. In the video, I think the priest is trying to help out the man who is seemingly very depressed by performing some kind of exorcism, or something of that nature. Perhaps the man was deserted by more than one women after he had affairs with them, thus he feels that all the love that he gave them was wasted and is the cause of his depression.... "spend your days full of loneliness".

'wasting Love'

[!--QuoteBegin-Mario88+Jan 7 2006, 07:33 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Mario88 @ Jan 7 2006, 07:33 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]In the video, I think the priest is trying to help out the man who is seemingly very depressed by performing some kind of exorcism, or something of that nature.
[snapback]126509[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I don't think the Priest is trying to help out the man. The Priest/Bishop is a very sinister looking character lurking in the background, as though he is going to pounce upon the main character.

I agree with Metal_Made in that maybe the man is a Christian but can't carry out a lifestyle that he wants, so he is sad and lonely. Maybe it mightn be telling us that the Catholic Church is restricting people's lives with a lot of silly rules when in reality people only want to love and be loved.

'wasting Love'

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Jan 6 2006, 07:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Jan 6 2006, 07:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It would be great if anybody had a link to this interview.
[snapback]126460[/snapback]​
[/quote]
[a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/index.php?url=album09_fotd/interviews09_fotd&lang=eng&link=albums#interview3\' target=\'_blank\']Here it is[/a].

And I don't think the song is about anything religious at all. As Bruce said, it's about the loneliness of those who cannot keep a stable relationship despite enjoying a certain amount of success with the other sex.

And, while on this topic, there are also other ways to waste love, believe me. But this is another story...

'wasting Love'

Love can be given to two different women in two different ways. You can shower one woman with love and love her with all your heart, always be there for her and give her the support she needs. Then there is true love which is the hardest thing in the world, which can never really be explained. I think Bruce maybe talking about the latter.

Re: 'wasting Love'

This post is not a comment on the song structure nor its meaning...but it's directly linked to the tune anyway. I've heard about (and I got through the internet) a Keith Olsen remix of this track. Does anybody know something about this? Is it really a keith remix? Why would Maiden remix this song? Was the remix ever released (e.g. on a promo cd) or is the whole affair simply bullshit?
Thanks! -_-

I had asked him that very question and he started analyzing his involvement with Bruce's solo career. I sent him a second email clarifying that I was asking about the Wasting Love song and he replied again. Both emails:

George, I can answer all of your questions with just a few statements... Bruce wanted to do a project as far away from Maiden as he could.... that said, I tried to take him into a form of "rock-Techno"  in conjunction with where his writing was going... It was an interesting experiment that didn't work very well. When you are a star in your own right like Bruce is... I could bnever really understand why such a focused talent would want to change.... but they always want to try stuff.  When I worked with Ozzy.... he wanted to do ROCK.... When I worked with Whitesnake, Coverdale wanted to ROCK, its was about experimentation into a genre where bruce wasn't comfortable.... interesting but not comfortable or commercially viable.

Keith Olsen
Pogologo Corp
Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii

George, Other than the work with Bruce on his singles project I never worked with Iron Maiden.

Keith Olsen
Pogologo Corp
Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii

These emails were sent to me in Oct 2005

gor said:
I had asked him that very question and he started analyzing his involvement with Bruce's solo career. I sent him a second email clarifying that I was asking about the Wasting Love song and he replied again. Both emails:
(...)
These emails were sent to me in Oct 2005
Many many thanks for this piece of information, Gor... Loud and clear! :mellow: 

Re: 'Wasting Love'

Does anyone recall a 2003 McBrain interview in which he admitted that Wasting Love was the result of preassure from their record company for a hit and the only thing it got them in the end was alot of money wasted on the video? I can't find it anywhere online for the life of me, not even on mf.com's news archive...

Daily Song: Wasting Love

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Wasting Love

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I go up and down on this song. When I first heard it, I thought it was fantastic. Later, I thought it was horrible. Now, I am not a fan, but it is better than a couple of the real true stinkers (looking at you, Chains of Misery). 5/10, but I might be generous.

Back