Was Fear of the Dark a crowd-pleaser in the 90's?

The upload of Fear of the Dark from A Real Live One with the most views only has about 87 000 views. It would be interesting to know the Spotify statistics too. I think I have to disagree on it being "the definitive version".

Those stats are only relevant for a certain demographic and a certain time period, and are also artificially determined by algorithms. When the reputation of the song was defined the platforms didn't exist. There's no records kept of how often physical copies were listened to, shown on tv etc.

Those stats are only relevant for a certain demographic and a certain time period, and are also artificially determined by algorithms. When the reputation of the song was defined the platforms didn't exist. There's no records kept of how often physical copies were listened to, shown on tv etc.

Hang on a minute, was there a time when Youtube and Spotify did not exist??

The upload of Fear of the Dark from A Real Live One with the most views only has about 87 000 views. It would be interesting to know the Spotify statistics too. I think I have to disagree on it being "the definitive version".
This one has a million views and is the actual real video that was out at the time, which Maiden never included on any video/dvd release or youtube upload. Hallowed Live had a similar video which has since been supressed, and is not one youtube either sadly

Last few shows I have attended there always seems to be a huge roar in the crowd when the backdrop for The Trooper comes down. Loudest crowd singalong is FotD though imo!
Biggest respnse is the intro to Hallowed.

At least I want it to be. And I think it might be.

Those stats are only relevant for a certain demographic and a certain time period
Hang on a minute, was there a time when Youtube and Spotify did not exist??
Its been 30 years since the album came out and youtube has been around for 15 years. The fun part of statistics is trying to make sense of skewed data;) The demographic you are referering to would be 2.29 billion of the worlds population, so I'm sure the Youtube data is significant when messuring the most popular version of the song!

When the reputation of the song was defined the platforms didn't exist. There's no records kept of how often physical copies were listened to, shown on tv etc.
The band itself was constantly criticised from the mid to late 90's. The lineup was not especially popular, media and journalists avoided them and they played mostly small shows by 1995. Not a great enviroment to build the repulation of a song. By 2018, A Real Live One was certified to have sold about 60 000 units in the UK since 1998.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Fear of the Dark still, to this day, the "last" Iron Maiden song written to become a concert staple? I can't think of any song more recent to become a staple. And what I mean by that is songs that the band never, or rarely, doesn't play live.

The live version on Best of the Beast (from Helsinki, 1992) still has a great deal of crowd participation, so it seems like it could well have been an instant hit with the fans.
This is the version I got acquainted to back in 2003. I remember playing that song in the car of my superior apprentice once. Unlike me, he already went to a Maiden concert, and said that he totally loves the song. The audience was totally into it back in that version.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't Fear of the Dark still, to this day, the "last" Iron Maiden song written to become a concert staple? I can't think of any song more recent to become a staple. And what I mean by that is songs that the band never, or rarely, doesn't play live.
Well, you could say that but Blood Brothers has also become a king of staple

Well, you could say that but Blood Brothers has also become a king of staple
Yea, but Blood Brothers isn't played every single show or tour. It's a popular song, but not literally "we gotta play this every damn show" popular. I'm talking like Iron Maiden, Number Beast, Run at Hills, etc. It's the last song written at that level of live necessity. Even on the tours that feature particular time periods not inclusive of 1992, it's still in every damn setlist. Which isn't a knock because it hella works. It's just....damn....

Back