Vote for the greatest guitarist of all time...Dave Murray

Hahaha this is rather hilarious.

First, James "i haven't played 50 solos in my entire career" Metallica would go even further if Hendrix didn't stop him. Second, Murray is in shredders section, Rhoads in masters section, Agnus Young and Darell in virtuoso sections?!

Heh makes me wonder if these guys that created the site ever touched guitar in their life.

And yeah, i think that Smith has better material overall than the other two Maiden axemen. However, Dave is the number one axe in Maiden, he has been there since 1976. That's thirty two years in one band only! So if you're going to put up one Maiden axe in a poll, put Dave there.

Altrough i think H also deserves a place there. Neat thing would be if he and Dave ended up in grand finals  :D I mean, if both Hammet and Hetfield are there, why not both classic Maiden guitarists?

But i don't like these kind of polls. I mean, Hendrix, Blackmore, Murray, Petrucci. All different schools from different eras. Who's better inventor, Nikola Tesla, the pioneer of modern electricity who invented alternating current, paving the way of vast electricity appliances throughout the globe, or Shockley, Bardeen and Brattain who made a first working practical transistor, paving the way for modern electronics? Both of these inventions radically changed life on the planet. I agree, if Tesla didn't do what he done, transistor discovery would be delayed for sure. But then we can trace all the way back, Ohm paved way for Tesla, Faraday paved way for Ohm, Ampere paved way for Faraday, Volta for Ampere, Galvani for Volta, and so on...we reach Thales and all ancient Greeks, Mesopotamians and others that studied phenomena of electricity.

By that equation Thales and his methuzalaem bunch are the greatest inventors in the field of electro stuff. And by that same equation, Hendrix is going to win this poll.

In reality, none of them should be compared in a one-vs-one way. Transgeneration stuff. What could be compared is Murray vs Smith vs Satriani vs Vai vs any other guy that started with serious guitar carreer in very late '70s - early '80s.

I agree that it is hard to pick one guitarist versus another.  Who is the best ultimately rests on popularity and who has the most time on their hands.  :p

It is funny to see the two Ozzy guitarists having to duel against each other, and of course Zakk Wylde would win.  ;)  I'm surprised Randy Rhoads is not in the same bracket, just for fun.

Angus Young is virtuoso???  :lol:  I love the guy, but seriously...

I would have liked Joe Perry and Dave Mustaine to go further, but the former lost to a great musician (KK Downing).  I do not listen to the Yardbirds, so I can't comment.

Of all the guitarists left, I hope Davey wins.

Well, according to this thread there might be someone with nil, zero, nought guitar experience behind the poll.Angus and Iommi among virtouso guitarists? Well ... A little perhaps for Iommi, but Angus? Nah. He is a great showman and writes and plays great guitar riffs, but AC/DC is all about getting something quite simple to sound very, very cool. So virtouso, no, but one of my favourite rock guitarists, yes.  :)

By the way, there's a guitarist duel tournament going on at www.backstagethecomic.com as well. In the round of 16, Dave Murray is up against Zakk Wylde. If he wins, guess who he will face in the quarter final? Not Petrucci, but another one who is probably (I'd guess) one of Petrucci's big influences. He comes from Sweden and his name is Malmsteen  :)

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner!

And the winner is DAVE MURRAY of Iron Maiden. Dave cannot be present to accept the award. Accepting it in Dave’s place are the Iron Maiden fans from all over the world that worked so hard to get to the Winner’s Circle. Iron Maiden fans got the word out about the tournament and posted it on different sites to spread the word. Iron Maiden’s history has been one of disrespect from the establishment and the success of the band has been directly related to (1st off great music) the supporters of the band who seem to revel in Iron Maiden’s underdog status. With Bruce Dickinson being in the GREATEST FRONTMAN tournament Vegas has Air Raid Siren as the current favorite

Thanks to thousands of people across 76 countries that made the first tournament a huge success. Next up is the GREATEST FRONTMAN OF ALL TIME and we hope you enjoy that one as well.

So the hordes of Maiden fans all over the globe did a good job  :D

By the way, someone should put this in Dave's wikipedia article. If Rolling Stone, by a popular vote, published Hammett as #11 best world's guitarist, this ain't any different.

Now let's go for Dickinson! Too bad that he's against Ronnie James Dio in the first round, Dio is my second favourite vocalist. Nevertheless, Bruce is leading by a wide margin, 237 : 39 at the moment.

There are some hillarious duels there, like Britney Spears vs Phil Anselmo, Ian Gillian vs Johnny Rotten, Alice Copper vs The ABBA Girls, David Bowie vs Marilyn Manson... :D

Some quotes from the website are hilarious!  :)

The finals are here! For the people who assumed it would be Jimi Hendrix against Eric Clapton in the finals are going to be greatly disappointed…but that’s too bad. That’s why tournaments are great – the unexpected seems to happen.

The final round pits Angus Young against Dave Murray. Dave Murray has had a cloud of controversy over him with some “ballot box stuffing” going on in some earlier rounds but his wins have been honest for the last week. Quite simply more Iron Maiden fans have been hitting the site from all over the world. The GOATT staff has been keeping an eye on where the hits are coming from and it has been spread very evenly from over 60 countries for the last few days. In other words….if you want Angus to win you better tell everyone you know to come vote because Vegas has Murray winning by a 10% margin.

One city in Spain has more hits today than all of England and Dave Murray just always seems to benefit most from it.

If Dave Murray wins that's cool if it happens naturally - upsets make a tournament fun but I can't have one (or a few people) in one city outvoting whole countries.

We're glad people like that site but it won't be fun if it is out of whack from a couple people.

But, never mind the criticisms above.  Now that Dave won, the contest is clearly just.  :D :yey:

Back