Vote for the greatest guitarist of all time...Dave Murray

Ardius

Trooper
Crazy nutter from the IMFC forum said:
OK people, this is gonna be a tough one indeed. Dave Murray is up against John Petrucci from Dream Theater. DT has a legion of fans that are very dedicated to him and are very likely to put an end to our little guitar God contest. We must unite, stand fast and stand tall. We must overcome the guitarist known as Petrucci. We must vote for Dave and we must convince others to vote for Dave. WE MUST NOT LET SMILIN DAVE DOWN. WE MUST CONQUER THE GUITARIST KNOWN AS PETRUCCI AND WE MUST WIN THIS ROUND!!!!Tell your family, tell your friends, Email the president of the local YMCA if you have to because if Davey loses this contest it will be heartwrenching for all of us true blue Maiden fans!!!
LETS MAKE DAVEY PROUD!!!!
CLICK BELOW

http://greatestofalltimetourney.blogspot.com/

Indeed, it would be funny to see Dave Murray win this, hes just beaten Eddie Van Halen.
I almost feel like posting this on a Dream Theater fans forum to make it fair......but nah.  :bigsmile:

Ironic if this ends up with Hendrix vs. Murray.

LOL, I think Pertucci is a better guitarist, but I'll abstain from voting considering they are both great at what they do (Trad Metal and Progrock...)

Voted in him because he's one of my main influences on the guitar, although I'm aware that Murray is far from being the best ever. There are other better names than Dave, "technically speaking" ...

Despite of that, Murray contributed a lot to the guitar playing scenario, his "thrills" (legato licks played repeatedly and quickly) are famous and helped many "virtuosos" like Petrucci develop their own technique.Petrucci stated that some times already and a good evidence of his respect for Murray is Dream Theater's rendition to the entire TNOTB album (highly recommended by the way)
cheers

Forostar said:
Who's Adrian Smith?

*runs*

lol, seeing as the people who are running this, erm, poll, are surprised at how far Murray has got, I assume that they are the typical "the blonde guy is sick at guitar" thinkers.
I dont expect people to remember Adrian or Janick because the first thing people see when they see Run to the Hills is Dave pulling off some silky smooth legato and percieve Adrian and Janick as the typical backing guitarists who can barely play a solo.

Good point Ardius.

Dave Murray is "flashier" than Adrian .

Dave's trademarks : the "solo mouth", the legs glued together during solos and the thumbs up after choruses, not to mention the classiest 1984 outfit...the blue and black spandex shirt and pants !

Guitar player rankings 99.9% of the times are unfair. It's not a surprise to find Jack White in the "all-time top 10",especially with polls are open to general public. The default result usually is Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, EVH, and so on....people usually forget or pretend they never heard of Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, Jake E Lee, Warren Haynes...

If they knew that Hendrix played most of the times completely out of tune maybe they'd reconsider their votes. Hendrix was a genius, the man who reinvented guitar playing, but had many technical deficiencies.

cheers

Just take your loss people. Dave is, was, and will always be the greatest Maiden guitarist of all time.  :p

InfiniteDreamer said:
...Murray contributed a lot to the guitar playing scenario, his "thrills" (legato licks played repeatedly and quickly) are famous and helped many "virtuosos" like Petrucci develop their own technique....

What the fucking fuck?

I've been both listening to Maiden and playing guitar for over 20 years, and this is the first time I've seen the word "thrills" used like that.

Perhaps you are referring to the centuries-old technique known as trills. A trill is the rapid alteration between two notes. Usually, the notes are close together: most often a whole step apart, though half-step trills are also common and minor-third trills can be found on rare occasions. And it is true that Murray uses many trills in his playing.

Read more about trills here.

There is no special name for the repetition of an entire guitar lick.

Furthermore, since trills are centuries old, you can't credit Murray for guys like Petrucci using trills. Sure, Petrucci has been influenced by Maiden, but also by many others. And it's not like Murray was the first rock guitarist to use trills: Hendrix and Van Halen both did so extensively before Maiden's first album came out. Murray may have contributed some influence, but not enough to really give him sole credit.

On a more serious note, I guess it's not his "thumbs up" and his big smile. It's his quality in his playing. People who vote in polls might know something about Maiden, you know.

I have seen some more guitarist polls in the past (in hardrock mags) and Dave always outscored Adrian.

You're right Sinister.  Bad mispelling from a Brazilian fella. Sorry !

Yep. Murray is a master triller for sure, especially if we take the entire TNOTB album. His solos on RTTH and TNOTB are clear examples of it.

Of course I didn't mean to say Petrucci's learnt trills by watching Murray, techniques are "centuries old" as you wisely stated. Petrucci's declared many times that Maiden (Murray) was a big influence to him. Just that. There's no secret to Maiden's guitar if you are familiar to the Dorian and Aeolian modes. It's all simple but SO CLEVERLY applied...

And in case you haven't watched DT playing TNOTB, don't miss it...here's Hallowed be thy name...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcaZXRbG9Ko

The reaction of the crowd after listening to the tolling of the bell shows how Maiden is "eternal". Crowd is before some of the finest, most skilled musicians to ever step on a stage and they go nuts with HBTN. Great.

Another good one Sinister...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-ip-mO ... re=related

cheers

Wow, I was really only joking about with this thread but everyone's gone all serious. I might have to do something really drastic next time.... :lol:

I won't  compare Murray to Janick because he's much more prone to become a pole dancer than a better guitar player.

Okay, InfiniteDreamer, you don't like Janick.  Do you have to rub it in all the time?  :mad:

But I voted for Murray.  However, I think he has a rather easy bracket.  Up until he runs into Hendrix, that is.

I voted for Dave, though I'm surprised he's on the list instead of Adrian. It's damn near impossible for me to choose between Adrian, Janick, and Dave, but I'd have to say Adrian wins by a hair (only if i count his work under Bruce Dickinson). Though I suppose the strongest argument you can make against Adrian and Janick is that Maiden was great even without them. Maybe they have some sort of one guitarist per band limit to narrow down the list a bit.

Also, I'm prety disappointed to see two of my favourite guitarists, Ritchie Blackmore and Dave mustaine, eliminated so early.

The categories are also a bit vague. Iommi is listed in the virtuoso-department, legends would be better. Well, in this case he might reach the final.

edit: Wow, Malmsteen-Iommi is gonna be a close call!

Forostar said:
The categories are also a bit vague. Iommi is listed in the virtuoso-department, legends would be better. Well, in this case he might reach the final.

edit: Wow, Malmsteen-Iommi is gonna be a close call!

My question is: How the hell did Johnny Ramone get into the "shredders" section?

:bigsmile:

JIMI Page is brother of Joe SATRIANNI and cousin of TONI Iommi

That site is infested with terrible name mispellings. If the guy wants to launch a guitar hero competition, go ahead, but first doublecheck their names !

Back