Vocalists that were auditioned for Bruce Dickinson's replacement in 1993

Fallen Heroes of Silver & Gold was presented for the sessions of Somewhere in Time... This song, Maideniced, would have been a hymn for the live shows.
Maybe Maidenized, yes, but I don't think this song would fit in the SIT album. It's too glam metal sounding song.
Man of Sorrows, Arc Of Space and Tears Of A Dragon would make a really good album out of Fear Of The Dark.
''Tears Of The Dragon'' (the version from 1994) would have worked great in the FOTD album - but I'm glad that it is a Bruce solo song, because I consider it as his signature solo song. We can't speculate if the song would have been a great addition to the SIT album, because we will never hear the 1986 version of it.

''Arc Of Space'' (the version from 1997) would not fit in either FOTD or SIT imo. It's too acoustic stuff, even more than ''Journeyman'' and the drums are absent.

''Man Of Sorrows'' would fit in the FOTD album, because it is a ballad (like ''Wasting Love''). And Steve (or Maiden) started to make more acoustic oriented songs since then.

I also understand that one song he did present was dive, dive, dive and run silent, run deep which later on would end up in NPFTD.
''Dive! Dive! Dive!'' was presented by Bruce for NPFTD?... or you meant for SIT?

I also understand that one song he did present was dive, dive, dive and run silent, run deep which later on would end up in NPFTD.

''Dive! Dive! Dive!'' was presented by Bruce for NPFTD?... or you meant for SIT?
My understanding is that "Dive! Dive! Dive! was written in the same two weeks as the rest of the "Tattooed Millionaire" album and was always intended for this purpose. A version of "Run Silent Run Deep" was one of his rejected songs for SIT which later found its way onto NPFTD but the tune (by Steve) was new.

Probably this has been discussed here before, but it is interesting to list some of the candidates.

And what about Michael Kiske (Helloween) - this is somehow like a legend isn't it ? Is he really was meant to be the replacement for Bruce? His voice is so different to Bruce's voice.
This is contradictory. I clearly remember reading years ago that he travelled and auditioned (and impressed) and now he says he wouldn't and it would not be the right thing. So, one of those reports/interviews is wrong.

For the record, I think Gary Barden would have been a fit.

Off topic (apologies): I voted for maiden on the metallian.com poll but the band could use a few correct votes. Help?

As much as I like Gary Barden in early MSG, he would have been a disaster in Maiden and in Priest (not to mention that his voice is virtually shot).

If we’d have gotten a singer that could sing like Bruce, Maiden would have just limped along into obscurity and the reunion would’ve never happened.
A pale reflection of their former glories ... Instead of which we got something fresh, new and exciting, which burned very brightly for a while but was destined to be with us for only a short time ... :goodbye:

The vocalist Solli (from Adrian's band Psycho Motel) also submitted a tape for the replacement auditions of Bruce in 1993.

In fact, Steve recommended him to Adrian.

The vocalist Solli (from Adrian's band Psycho Motel) also submitted a tape for the replacement auditions of Bruce in 1993.

In fact, Steve recommended him to Adrian.

I have heard that before, where did you read/hear this mate?

Everything on this topic should come with an available source, or it's just unverifiable conjecture.

For example:

I was down to the last ten, but I lied about my age, and when I went to a live audition I was rejected on the grounds I was only 14 years old.

Still gutted.

James LaBrie talks a bit about how he was approached in '93:

"You've gotta remember — I was in a very bizarre situation," he continued. "DREAM THEATER, we had already recorded [1992's] 'Images And Words', we were looking for management, we were getting ready to try and set up a tour and get out there. And I remember him saying to me — he takes me aside, and the rest of the guys in DREAM THEATER were there too, playing darts, because we were looking at him for management. And he says, 'I just wanna throw something at you.' And he had his assistant with him too — Merck — at the time. And they were both standing there. They were going, 'What do you think about being the singer with IRON MAIDEN?' And I said, 'What? What are we talking about here? I'm confused. Are you not here for the reason that you might start managing DREAM THEATER? Or are you here to get me to become…?' And I had already recorded the [DREAM THEATER] album. Can you imagine how bizarre that was?'

LaBrie said: "Anyways, so I just said, 'No. No way. You know what? I'm gonna tell you the reasons why I'm not going to do this.' And they said, 'What's that?' And I said, 'One: DREAM THEATER. That's it. Period.' And I said, 'But if I need to go any further with this, way back when I was 22 years old, I sang for a band called CONEY HATCH for a year. And I walked [in as the replacement for] another singer [named] Carl Dixon,' and I said, 'and basically what I felt like was a glorified jukebox.' And I said, 'Because I came into the band, I was able to sing all that stuff no problem — no problem — but there was never that 'This is me. And this is what I created.' It was about, 'Are you looking at me for who and what I am?' I don't think so. And I don't think you ever will.

"Bruce and I have mutual respect for one another. We've met several times. We've done several shows. I remember doing the BBC show with him. And there was that mutual respect between the two of us. And I remember just thinking, 'I'm not gonna get out there and be singing MAIDEN every night — even though I think they're a great band, and Bruce is a great singer. No, thank you.' I need to create something that I can say, 'No, this is what I created from the beginning.' And we all know, okay, I wasn't on the first [DREAM THEATER] album, 'When Dream And Day Unite'."

James added: "And [the offer to audition for MAIDEN] came and went. As fast as it was asked, it was dismissed. And they went, 'All respect. Totally get it. No problem.' Boom. And we moved on."

Source: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/d...urned-down-offer-to-audition-for-iron-maiden/

Back