Vocalists that were auditioned for Bruce Dickinson's replacement in 1993

What the blaze bashers always seem to come out with is smaller concert venues on the blaze tours and lower album sales. Like this as a way of stating as pure fact the blaze era was unsuccessful and then pinning all of this in blaze.

Yes, like the 'enormous' disaster when Virtual XI didn't sell 1 million copies world wide:D Oh the horror! I loved the smaller shows in 1995, in 1998 they played the same venue in Sweden they played in the 80's.

Ok so the blaze era had its problems and yes a lot of fans didn’t like him but what amazes me is all these sheep who jump up and down claiming Bruce is a god and blaze isn’t fit to lick his boots hardly flocked to see Bruce solo. His tours were even smaller than maidens and it a lot of cases was plying places with only a few hundred capacity.

Yepp

I love the Doogie White versions of Maiden songs. I think he would have been great for the band. Lot of people name Kiske and LaBrie, but the problem with them was the same as with Doogie, they are not english. I think a relative unknown was the way to go, if anything. With Kiske or Labrie we would have had the Axl Rose in AC/DC or Ian Gillan in Sabbath situation, which in some cases worked. But for Maiden that would just be weird to me.

If Steve really did turn people down because they weren’t English then that is just plain stupid, pig headed and pretty ignorant. Theirs a wealth of talented singers across the globe that could have taken Bruce’s spot and would have done a fantastic job. Surely geography is a dumb reason and most of the band don’t even call England home these days anyway.

I still say though that if it had to be English then Damien Wilson would have been the perfect choice. Easily got enough power and range to handle the Bruce material live with enough difference in his voice to have not been the Bruce clone steve didn’t want.

Having said all that what’s done is done and we got blaze and I for one thoroughly enjoyed his time in Maiden. Couldn’t give a stuff how popular that time was it was still popular enough for the band to release two albums, the x-factor of which in my opinion is top five all time maiden gold. Plus I enjoyed hearing blaze live on both his albums tours with the band. I know there’s evidence out there to show how poorly Blaze handled the Bruce stuff live but I never felt he did a band job at the gigs I attended.

If Steve really did turn people down because they weren’t English then that is just plain stupid

The again, The Clansman with Doogie White might make sense!:D

4th-march-2011-melbourne-soundwave-iron-maiden-12286.jpg

Blaze was good, end of. The soppy yanks can do one. The world is a big place and theirs plenty of countries that embraced maiden through the 90’s. If the Americans turned their back then up goes the middle finger to them :p:p:p:p:p

I love the Doogie White versions of Maiden songs. I think he would have been great for the band. Lot of people name Kiske and LaBrie, but the problem with them was the same as with Doogie, they are not english.

Bruce's replacement had to be British, not necessarily English. At least that is what Steve said at the time. Doogie White ticked that box and, in my humble opinion, would have done the old songs more justice than Blaze. That being said, they were trying to replace someone who was irreplaceable...

Blaze was good, end of. The soppy yanks can do one. The world is a big place and theirs plenty of countries that embraced maiden through the 90’s. If the Americans turned their back then up goes the middle finger to them :p:p:p:p:p
And here I thought the Brits were the ones who appreciated skill and refinement, while Americans were the ones who were supposedly less picky and would settle for mediocrity. I guess everything got turned upside down in the '90s...

Given all the Blaze praise around here, I went back to listen to The X Factor, Virtual XI, and "Virus" some more lately, which I hadn't done in quite a while. I have to say I was surprised to find that his performance was actually worse than I'd remembered. So out of key, so inconsistent. He has a few stronger moments where you can tell what they were thinking when they hired him (e.g. "Blood On The World's Hands"); but holy shit, when he's off he's just terrible.

I remembered liking the radio edit of "Virus", but listening to it again, he's so out of key that the attempts to harmonize with himself on the "all in your mind" section just sound like interference patterns from bleating goats. And it's sad, because songs like "When Two Worlds Collide" and "The Educated Fool" are actually sort of decent when Blaze's mouth is shut, but then he opens it again and it's like he's projectile vomiting all over the master tape.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but wow, I don't see how people can get past the obvious lack of skill. Even "bad" singers like Dave Mustaine and Kai Hansen have mostly consistent delivery and can keep themselves on key in a way that isn't distracting like this. Ouch.

Given all the Blaze praise around here, I went back to listen to The X Factor, Virtual XI, and "Virus" some more lately, which I hadn't done in quite a while. I have to say I was surprised to find that his performance was actually worse than I'd remembered. So out of key, so inconsistent. He has a few stronger moments where you can tell what they were thinking when they hired him (e.g. "Blood On The World's Hands"); but holy shit, when he's off he's just terrible.

I remembered liking the radio edit of "Virus", but listening to it again, he's so out of key that the attempts to harmonize with himself on the "all in your mind" section just sound like interference patterns from bleating goats. And it's sad, because songs like "When Two Worlds Collide" and "The Educated Fool" are actually sort of decent when Blaze's mouth is shut, but then he opens it again and it's like he's projectile vomiting all over the master tape.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but wow, I don't see how people can get past the obvious lack of skill. Even "bad" singers like Dave Mustaine and Kai Hansen have mostly consistent delivery and can keep themselves on key in a way that isn't distracting like this. Ouch.

Wow, you must a professional singing coach with amazing Spock like ears. I don’t hear anything like your describing with Blazes voice.

Reading your post was like reading one of those comments from an audiophile who talks about compression and brick walling. I just don’t hear all this stuff people talk about. Makes me think they make it up just to sound more intelligent or more “in the know”.

Vulcans aren't known for their hearing as far as I recall. Blaze is off key a lot. Not even Dickinson is pitch perfect.

I'm just glad I don't hear the things others do and glad I don't have the time to sit and pick apart every nuance of what I listen too. I rather like just putting on some music and all I have to think about is do I like it or not and not sit their studying every minute aspect. :p

I'm just glad I don't hear the things others do and glad I don't have the time to sit and pick apart every nuance of what I listen too. I rather like just putting on some music and all I have to think about is do I like it or not and not sit their studying every minute aspect. :p

I wouldn't label being off key as just a nuance...

There's parts of any album by pretty much any singer in which they're off-key. For example, Bruce during the chorus of Caught Somewhere in Time is off-key. So yeah, that doesn't stop people from loving Somewhere in Time (it stops me, but not people in general). I maintain that I think the man's voice suits the albums he's on, but he definitely was off-key for a lot of stuff during live performances - because he was asked to sing in a key beyond his reach. So anyway, agree to disagree. You don't have to love it, just don't hate on the people who do.

Back