Votes: 4 4.9%

Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 17 21.0%

Votes: 17 21.0%

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Virus

Forostar said:
This song was a spontaneous undertaking. It came out 11 months after The X-Factor, and 17 months before Virtual XI. Actually, it would be weird if it was on TXF: it wouldn't make sense with the song's context.

I guess I am one of the few people left on this forum, who followed Maiden very intensely in this era. Maybe that helps me understanding that it does not belong on either of those albums.

I do not mind it's not on a regular studio album. It makes this gem (and Best of the Beast!) even more special.

I see your point. The fact that the song is not on a regular studio album makes it a bit more of a "hidden gem" and a reward for those who get more than the studio albums. On the other hand, it feels a little weird that this really strong song is not on an album whereas it obviously is better than many who made it on VXI. But I'm with you on what you said in your last post. I just didn't think of it that way at first.

I was not into the band when Virus came out, so you're obviously right that you are more aware of the circumstances around its release.

On the other hand, I agree that the song is (at least musically and vocally) stronger than a few from both albums, so it would have made those albums stronger.

But -and here it gets a bit more controversial- I also think that one or even two b-sides from the Man on the Edge-single would have done that. I really like Justice of the Piece and I also find Judgement Day better than Look for the Truth and some VXI tracks.

WTF? Someone really gave this a 1? It's really in the worst bunch of Maiden songs?  :blink:  :blink:

Actually, this is just as bad as the person that gave a Powerslave a 2 (again a mystery voter)!

A unique type of song for Maiden because it starts quiet, then goes heavy, quite, heavy, then stays heavy. I absolutely love this style for sure and Blaze's vocals fit the dark sound of it. 9/10

Unknown One said:
WTF? Someone really gave this a 1? It's really in the worst bunch of Maiden songs?  :blink:  :blink:

Actually, this is just as bad as the person that gave a Powerslave a 2 (again a mystery voter)!

Let's find the guy, tar and feather him and parade him through the main street of the capitals of ALL countries that are represented on Maidenfans.

Eddies Wingman said:
Let's find the guy, tar and feather him and parade him through the main street of the capitals of ALL countries that are represented on Maidenfans.

Agreed. Then lets burn him at the stake for being a (Maiden) heretic!

Unknown One said:
Agreed. Then lets burn him at the stake for being a (Maiden) heretic!

... except if the humiliation makes him repent, of course. Adrian Smith is wise, merciful. And so is Dave Murray.

I really tried to like this song, but I really can't. Chorus is kinda catchy, but that's probably the only good thing on it. Sorry, 4/10.

Eddies Wingman said:
... except if the humiliation makes him repent, of course. Adrian Smith is wise, merciful. And so is Dave Murray.

Adrian Smith has no saying in this one though ;)

10. Awesome song! When I saw this song on Best of the Beast as an unreleased track, I wasn't expecting much. But after I heard it I was amazed. Blaze kicks ass on this song. The guitar melodies near the end are epic.

2, yes a 2.
The main riff is a rip-off of the great Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.
And the breakdown at about 4:08 is another rip-off of The Aftermath.
Plus the intro sucks... But the Verse and Chorus lyrics are good

Last edited:
Love this song when it came out and still kick myself for not getting the 12" at the time. For some reason in later years I decided it was crap, but listened to it only yesterday and remembered why I liked it in the first place. Video was a bit pointless though. a strong 7, maybe verging on 8. If Maiden do an entire 90's theme for the next history tour then I hope this gets included, but I suspect they won't introduce any new Blaze era material than the 5 they've already done.

Love this song when it came out and still kick myself for not getting the 12" at the time. For some reason in later years I decided it was crap, but listened to it only yesterday and remembered why I liked it in the first place. Video was a bit pointless though. a strong 7, maybe verging on 8. If Maiden do an entire 90's theme for the next history tour then I hope this gets included, but I suspect they won't introduce any new Blaze era material than the 5 they've already done.
They've done 5? I assume your talking about material they did with Bruce
Sign of the Cross
Man on the Edge
Lord of the Flies
The Clansman
What's the Fifth?

First time I ever heard this song, was when I watched the music video...so, ya know, that's kind of marred my enjoyment of it. It's decent though, good chorus. I honestly like the edit better.

Back