Van Halen

Concert ended. A new song was played called "She's The Woman", and DLR leaked the album title: A Different Kind of Truth.

Looking forward to this, now that it's official, and hoping for a glimpse of some of the previous glory...

Like the bluesy bottom end — the classic VH drum sound and what Wolfie is doing with the bass.
Could have really used some classic Mikey background vocals though.
Not what I would have considered a single, but a decent album track for those who like vintage Van Halen.
There's certainly enough there for me to want to see what other layers are on the album.

Agree that some Mike Anthony backing vocals would be nice, but this works well enough for me...

Some of the crappiest editing I have seen in years. Image and sound is -from time to time- totally out of sync.

I'm getting a great retro VH vibe from these samples from the new album. Doesn't sound like there's much that strays from the tried and true, but I can live with that. I'm stoked to hear it in it's entirety. Looking forward to the tour, but I can't fucking believe that Kool And The Gang are the opening act... seems like a bad joke.

Looks like the album was released early. I read on another forum that Best Buy was stocking it already. I ran by my local one this morning and sure enough it was there (I pre-ordered the vinyl, that does not come out until later in the month, I'll give the CD to a relative later). Anyway, after one listen, I was pleasantly surprised, this is a really solid album. Tattoo is not really representative of the album. Overall, the tone is probably closest to Fair Warning, it is a really good straight up hard rocking album that captures the classic VH sound, without being a blatant copy of earlier works.

I will need many more listens to be able to say this for certain, but at first glance, this is at least in the same general ballpark as the original 6 albums.

Looks like the album was released early. I read on another forum that Best Buy was stocking it already. I ran by my local one this morning and sure enough it was there (I pre-ordered the vinyl, that does not come out until later in the month, I'll give the CD to a relative later). Anyway, after one listen, I was pleasantly surprised, this is a really solid album. Tattoo is not really representative of the album. Overall, the tone is probably closest to Fair Warning, it is a really good straight up hard rocking album that captures the classic VH sound, without being a blatant copy of earlier works.

I will need many more listens to be able to say this for certain, but at first glance, this is at least in the same general ballpark as the original 6 albums.
Good to hear.
I didn't hear a Mean Street or Unchained on the samples, but the overall sound was solid.
I will be buying.

I've been listening to this album for two days now, and I can say this... Van Halen is back! Sorry Sammy (and Gary)... THIS is how VH is supposed to sound. Every cut on this album is strong, and Edward is of course the highlight. Bearfan is right... Fair Warning era VH is well represented here, even without Mike Anthony. This album is as good as anything the band has done... really looking forward to the tour...

I agree with you agreeing with me :) I cannot stop listening to this album. One reviewer said soemthing along the lines of "I felt like I just listened to a Van Halen Greatest Hits album, only with songs I have never heard of". I cannot think of a better reunion type album since Brave New World, it has all the classic elements and then some. Going to be seeing them June 20th, cannot wait.

Not hearing it yet boys.
Got the VH sound but not the VH songs.
What songs are rocking it for you?

First 7 songs on the album are my favorites (China Town is No. 1), the others are a little bit weaker.

Top of my list would be Chinatown, As Is, Outta Space, Stay Frosty (odd, but cool), She's The Woman, and Blood and Fire.

Y'know, EVERY song is doing it for me mckindog. I think Big River is a favourite, as is You and Your Blues. It really does sound like the album that should have come after Fair Warning (I'm not a huge fan of Diver Down). Edward's solo on Big River is ear melting, and I don't know if Dave has ever sounded better than he does on You and Your Blues. Alex is as solid as ever, and Wolfgang Van Halen seems to be doing a more than competent job in replacing Mike Anthony, even on the harmony vocals. It's pure VH through and through man. Just turn it up a little louder :bigsmile:

Back