USA Politics

The Trump administration’s approach of intentionally separating the children, sending them far away, and then failing to keep track of which children belonged to which parents, all done as an intentional deterrent to border immigration, is what’s so abhorrent. And not making any distinction between asylum seekers legally presenting themselves at the border vs. illegals who hopped the fence is outrageous. The idea that someone could present their family at the border for an asylum request and have their children taken away and sent off to who knows where with no guarantee of ever getting them back is barbaric and fundamentally un-American.

Child traffickers shouldn’t be able to get through the asylum process successfully, and people who hop the fence should be deported. It does present an interesting question about what the U.S. role should be when a supposed family jumps the fence and is going to be deported — should the children be delivered to the Mexican authorities and the parents left to reclaim them there, in case the parents were actually traffickers? I don’t know.

...not making any distinction between asylum seekers legally presenting themselves at the border vs. illegals who hopped the fence is outrageous.

I read an article a couple of years ago explaining the reason the U.S rejects asylum seekers from Latin America in general is because the laws were created shortly after WWII and have not been changed to fit modern crisis. For example, People fleeing Latin America for the U.S (normally) are not beign persecuted politically, religiously or escaping a warzone like that of Afghanistan, Iraq or Syria. They're fleeing an abusive husband, they're fleeing because they're homosexual and they've been beaten once already an threatened with death the next time around, or gang violence or Narco related violence/opression. NONE of which figures into the reasons for refugees/asylum seekers in U.S paperwork. So they're sent back and often... to they're deaths.

I actually had the article in my favorites tab, here it is: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...tion-is-a-death-sentence?mbid=social_facebook

Are individual cases of child neglect so pervasive that we have to separate every single child from their parent? Of course not.

I guess, when it comes to migrants, I have a hard time understanding what America should do that doesn't involve building refugee camps for them. Should those camps have good conditions - of course - but letting people just walk into Texas won't work either. Where do they go, how do they find work, how do they find a place to live, etc.
Like many of us, I love the idea of American being a better place to live for immigrants, but yes it does have to be handled correctly.

Really good news and a huge relief. I wasn’t expecting this outcome honestly. It’s rare a cop gets charged, let alone convicted. I figured the Murder charge was to negotiate down to manslaughter as a best case scenario.

I certainly was bracing for the worst on this one. Let's hope that this is a turning point towards ridding ourselves of these brutal, unnecessary killings.

I was definitely expecting a conviction on something, but certainly not all three. A step in the right direction.

Can’t wait to hear about this idiot’s “bullying” in prison.

Reactions: Yax
Honestly? I don't think people who go to prison should be subjected to abuse or harassment or violence. Derek Chauvin is probably going to be serving a long time there, possibly the rest of his life, and deservedly so, but like...all violence is wrong, unless to defend from other violence.

Reactions: Yax
Honestly? I don't think people who go to prison should be subjected to abuse or harassment or violence. Derek Chauvin is probably going to be serving a long time there, possibly the rest of his life, and deservedly so, but like...all violence is wrong, unless to defend from other violence.
That’s just cuz you’re Canadian, LC! In America we have no hospitality, and blood will follow blood and all that jazz!

Seriously though, I agree. Violence wouldn’t solve anything except give us a certain karmic satisfaction that he got what we deserved. But that doesn’t go anywhere in solving the racial injustices in our country, and it would be so much better that people, including Chauvin himself, if that’s possible, learn from this rather than continue down the path of baseless violence.

Don’t forget, in Minneapolis we also have black cops gun down unarmed white women, so you can’t say we’re not equal opportunity!

I’m starting to think that beat cops just shouldn’t have lethal firearms, period. Give them a taser and pepper spray, and maybe a beanbag shotgun in the car, and that’s it. If they get into a situation that truly requires lethal weaponry, make them call in S.W.A.T. instead. That would reduce the structural risk of lethal accidents and would dissuade some of the gun nuts from becoming cops in the first place.

There are systemic problems in the way of police training, disproportionately white forces in predominantly black areas, and probably the job attracting the wrong kinds of people in general. But then you have situations like the “I meant to use my taser” fiasco which suggests that police officers aren’t even qualified or properly trained for the job.

That’s just cuz you’re Canadian, LC! In America we have no hospitality, and blood will follow blood and all that jazz!
Now I have Catherine Zeta Jones in my head singing, "He had it coming!"

I don't think anyone is saying he deserves to be beaten in prison, only that those sort of things happen in prison.

He won't get beaten/raped/killed, he's not a child molester. He can always join the team racist in the prison, if they don't mind ex cops.

How do ex cops get treated in prison anyways, are staff more vigilant to protect them against violence?

He won't get beaten/raped/killed, he's not a child molester. He can always join the team racist in the prison, if they don't mind ex cops.

How do ex cops get treated in prison anyways, are staff more vigilant to protect them against violence?
It's always dangerous for an ex-cop to go into jail/prison. He was the "enemy" of these people, arresting people like them. Guards might not help him, might see him as a disgrace. Like you said, if he doesn't join team racist if they don't mind ex-cops, he's not going to have a good time.

It legitimately depends on the group, from what I understand. The Nazis in some prisons will welcome cops, some will very much not. It's unlikely he goes to general population at any time, though.

This county's prison system is so messed up. Just watch stuff on how solitary confinement for long periods of time can mess a person up. And in all prisons, you eventually HAVE to fight no matter what you're in for which can get a person who's not there for much in a lot of trouble and can make things much worse and really mess them up too. Hopefully the whole system will get a nice major overhaul some time in the near future.

Back