USA Politics

Reapportionment time

+1 Seat/EC Vote -- Montana, Oregon, Florida, North Carolina. Colorado
+2 Seats/EC Votes -- Texas
-1 Seat/EC Vote -- California (first time ever losing a seat), Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia, New York, Pennsylvania

Last edited:
Apparently NY only lost a seat by 83 people.

That seems to be about correct based on where people live now.

Reapportionment time

+1 Seat/EC Vote -- Montana, Oregon, Florida, North Carolina. Colorado
+2 Seats/EC Votes -- Texas
-1 Seat/EC Vote -- California (first time ever losing a seat), Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia, New York, Pennsylvania
So roughly a 4 vote gain for the Republicans in the electoral college. “Great.”

I’m just glad MN didn’t lose a rep — I know there was a lot of speculation that we might.

Time to renew the calls for the Whole Foods crowd to colonize Wyoming...

surprised_pikachu.jpg
Ben Stiller (who is a crazy conservative in real life) reminded us of what trickledown really is:

Kg8Y9GJ.gif

Looks like a decent chance Chauvin will get a new trial ... one of the jurors lied (badly)

A juror in the Derek Chauvin trial may have jeopardized the guilty verdict by attending a rally last year and wearing a “Get Your Knee Off Our Necks/BLM” T-shirt, raising questions about whether he told the truth during jury selection.

Brandon Mitchell, known as Juror #52, told Minneapolis news outlets Monday that he attended the Aug. 28 march in Washington, D.C., featuring speeches by George Floyd’s siblings, while a photo circulating online shows him with two cousins wearing the T-shirt as well as a “Black Lives Matter” hat.

What may come back to haunt the prosecution is that Mr. Mitchell, 31, answered “no” when asked during jury selection if he had attended any protests for George Floyd.

“I think they asked if I attended any protests for George Floyd or anything for police brutality. My answer was no because I hadn’t,” Mr. Mitchell told WCCO-TV in Minneapolis. “This particular march was more so for voting, voter registration. Getting people out to get out and vote for the presidential election that was upcoming a couple months afterward … This was the only thing I attended.”

The march was held to commemorate the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech, but the National Action Network billed it as the “Commitment March: Get Your Knee Off Our Necks,” and several members of the Floyd family spoke.

News photos from the event show demonstrators wearing Black Lives Matter T-shirts and carrying BLM flags as well as signs with messages that included, “I Can’t Breathe,” which Floyd repeatedly told police before he died.

“The march that he went to, which was on August 28, 2020, was specifically about police brutality,” criminal defense attorney Joe Tamburino, who was not associated with the case, told WCCO. “In fact, it was partly advertised as ‘Get Your Knee Off Our Necks’ and it had speakers with the Floyd family, Breonna Taylor and Jacob Blake.”

The ex-cop Chauvin was convicted April 20 of second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter charges in Floyd’s May 25 death in Minneapolis police custody.

Mr. Mitchell told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that it was “100% not” a George Floyd march, but the juror’s presence at the event is expected to boost the defense’s chances on appeal.

“If [Mitchell] specifically was asked, ‘Have you ever participated in a Black Lives Matter demonstration,’ and he answered, ‘No,’ to that, I think that would be an important appealable issue,” Joseph Daly, emeritus professor at Mitchell Hamline School of Law, told the Star-Tribune.

Even a mistrial might not be out of the question.

“A number of legal sources, including those familiar with the trial, told WCCO this juror at minimum will have to be questioned in what’s called a Schwartz hearing. And depending on his answers, a mistrial could be declared,” the station reported.

Even before the Mitchell disclosures, Chauvin attorney Eric Nelson had several possible avenues for an appeal.

Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill refused to move the trial away from Minneapolis, despite the enormous pre-trial publicity.

He also denied defense requests to sequester the jury, even after protests and rioting broke out 10 miles from the courthouse over the deadly police shooting of 20-year-old Daunte Wright in Brooklyn Center.

Judge Cahill later denied a request for a mistrial after Rep. Maxine Waters, California Democrat, drew headlines for showing up April 17 at the protests and telling reporters that activists should “stay in the streets” and “get more confrontational” if Chauvin was acquitted of murder.

At the same time, the judge told attorneys that “I’ll give you that Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned.”

The 45-year-old Chauvin is scheduled to be sentenced June 16.

Mr. Mitchell, who has given multiple media interviews since the verdict, said he did not remember wearing the shirt, and insisted the march was “directly related to MLK’s March on Washington from the ‘60s.”

“I’d never been to [Washington] D.C.,” Mr. Mitchell said. “The opportunity to go to D.C., the opportunity to be around thousands and thousands of Black people; I just thought it was a good opportunity to be a part of something.”

It's sickening how one of them is actually laughing about it.

College Professors Admit their Secret Liberal Agenda for College Students
Know your sources before you trust them:

Know your sources before you trust them:
If you actually watch the video, you'll clearly see what he's reporting is true and not a conspiracy theory. And of course liberals are going to call his stuff conspiracy theories since he always speaks out against them.

And from your link:
"The Next News Network is a YouTube channel produced in Chicago’s western suburbs that pumps out a dozen or so aggressively partisan videos each day. They usually stick to praising President Donald Trump or attacking his critics, but every so often they wade into the dark waters of conspiracy theory.

If you actually watch the video, you'll clearly see what he's reporting is true and not a conspiracy theory.
What I saw was a portion of a video that he presented which I needed to go verify independently by looking up the professors’ names and pictures to make sure it was actually legitimate, because everything leading up to it was obvious snake oil. Whether it was the full context of their discussion or not, I don’t know.

If you didn’t catch the painful irony of hearing 2 solid minutes of hard right-wing propaganda followed by a complaint about how propaganda and indoctrination are apparently so awful, I don’t know what to say. At least I got some respite during the product placement break for the host’s own special collagen supplement (I wish I was making that up).

And don’t worry, if someone posted some hardcore left-wing rant from a dubious partisan left-wing source I’d be just as incredulous.
And from your link:
"The Next News Network is a YouTube channel produced in Chicago’s western suburbs that pumps out a dozen or so aggressively partisan videos each day. They usually stick to praising President Donald Trump or attacking his critics, but every so often they wade into the dark waters of conspiracy theory.
Talk about faint praise. You also skipped over the arguably more important part, “pumps out a dozen or so aggressively partisan videos each day”, of which this was clearly one.

Now, all of that said, even the National Enquirer breaks news sometimes. You just can’t take them at their word until you double check for yourself.

Did these people say these things? Yes, it looks like they did. Is it indicative of a vast academic conspiracy to turn our children into Marxists because two professors at a college in Illinois happened to say these things? Without a much larger body of evidence, that would quite literally be a conspiracy theory. Like, the dictionary definition of one.

Reactions: Yax
A sure-fire way to know if something is likely a conspiracy theory is if it's pitched by a youtuber.

Back