USA Politics

And the fragile ego is rather Biden's I find. Actually worse.
Hmm, remind me again which government blocks images of Winnie the Pooh? Hint: It's not America.

Biden sucks on multiple levels, but Xi is on another level entirely. That said we each have our views and I don't think either of us is going to change their mind, so I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Yax
Biden sucks on multiple levels, but Xi is on another level entirely. That said we each have our views and I don't think either of us is going to change their mind, so I'll leave it at that.

Having our views is one thing but failing to understand that what Biden just did was a fuck up is another thing entirely.

So this is your way of saying "I can't argue against that" without actually saying it. You talk about voting as if it's nothing. Voting is the fundamental principle behind democracy and all that comes with it.

No I don't think voting is enough that's why I mentioned it. For me someone who just votes once in 4 years is only a little better than peasants and burghers under 17th century kings were.
I don't pretend to be a politically active person, but I don't have illusions that my vote can change anything.

Having our views is one thing but failing to understand that what Biden just did was a fuck up is another thing entirely.

No I don't think voting is enough that's why I mentioned it. For me someone who just votes once in 4 years is only a little better than peasants and burghers under 17th century kings were.
I don't pretend to be a politically active person, but I don't have illusions that my vote can change anything.
Really? There are plenty of examples where an election is won by a relative small number of votes, where the subsequent changes in policy and legislation resulted by change of government is no less than fundamental. Voting matters.

In your subjective opinion ;) There is no objective truth here. You dislike his answer, I think he said the correct thing. That's what I meant when I said that we should drop it.

Really? There are plenty of examples where an election is won by a relative small number of votes, where the subsequent changes in policy and legislation resulted by change of government is no less than fundamental. Voting matters.
This. Voting is the single most important power we have. For some examples from the past few years in America we can take a look at how razor thin the winning margins for DeSantis's first election were, or Boebert's most recent one. Apathy is the greatest threat.

You know, there's concentration camps for Uyghurs in China, yet @____no5 thinks Pooh is not so bad, compared to Biden. Voting doesn't matter, democracy sucks and USA is the root of all evil. I'm seriously starting to think that @____no5 is working for some propaganda outlet :D

Last edited:
Gonna be real interesting to see what happens when Taiwan decides to declare legal independence from China. The day's coming, and coming pretty fast.

Gonna be real interesting to see what happens when Taiwan decides to declare legal independence from China. The day's coming, and coming pretty fast.
Might not. Pro-china parties are partnering up, and their candidate will be decided by upcoming polls. This is going to be a 50-50 election.

Might not. Pro-china parties are partnering up, and their candidate will be decided by upcoming polls. This is going to be a 50-50 election.
I'm not necessarily saying this election, because you're right, the pro-Chinese parties are forming a coalition. The point is they never had to do that before - independence wasn't even close to popular until the 2010s. But the younger generation, plus the ongoing excesses of Communist China, are moving opinions. I'd be shocked if it wasn't done by 2035.

I would be shocked if it's done by 2035. If the MAGA had not wrecked havoc, and turning the American geopolitical commitments into a question mark (and now we're back again looking at the impact an election between two diametrically opposed candidates can have), things might have looked differently. I think it's of the question for at least 15 years, and that's if traditional democracy prevails in the west.

The moment Taiwan declares independence it forces the issue. Taiwan can then be (unfairly) cast as the "bad guys", and China could claim their military intervention was only to prevent the formal secession of a rogue province (which is a horseshit claim in the first place, because Taiwan is what's left of the China that the CCP only mostly overthrew in the late 1940s). And the U.S. is required by U.S. law to provide for Taiwan's defense, so then all of NATO is drawn into a hot war with China the moment China attacks U.S. forces.

As long as Taiwan maintains the status quo and we prevent China from bribing the remaining countries that still recognize Taiwan as an independent state into no longer doing so, then if China invades Taiwan they are very clearly the bad guys instead, making an imperialistic move to crush a vibrant democracy rather than reluctantly reining in a rogue province. And if they attack U.S. forces in doing so, then they're clearly responsible for starting a (mostly) unprovoked hot war with NATO, and it becomes much easier to sanction the shit out of them and leave them only able to trade with their BRICS buddies until the conflict is resolved or we all get to break out the lead-lined snowpants for our collective nuclear winter.

Taiwan formally declaring independence would be dumb. China invading Taiwan without a semi-valid excuse would be dumb. Maintaining this silly status quo until China eventually liberalizes enough to drop the facade (which may not happen anytime soon) is pretty much the only peaceful path through this mess.

Xi is on record saying the Taiwan situation must be resolved by the 100th anniversary of the revolution in 2049. If he dies before he can act on that threat and we get lucky with his replacement, maybe a crisis can be averted. We'll see.

Hmm, remind me again which government blocks images of Winnie the Pooh? Hint: It's not America.

Oh the US supresses its fair share of speech. Just because it doesn't bother with cartoon characters it doesn't mean it isn't obssessed with the flow of information as much as China or Russia

I'm pretty sure Xi is going to wait with his invasion until the US are so tangled up in other conflicts that they can't afford to send any aid to ROC. My guess is he's going to rile up Iran to make Hezbollah go all out on Israel and at the same time increase aid for Putin to start a new major offensive in Ukraine.

Either that, or wait for the Republicans/Trump to return to the White House.

I'm pretty sure Xi is going to wait with his invasion until the US are so tangled up in other conflicts that they can't afford to send any aid to ROC. My guess is he's going to rile up Iran to make Hezbollah go all out on Israel and at the same time increase aid for Putin to start a new major offensive in Ukraine.
But Ukraine only requires money and ammunition for older weapons, and Israel only requires money and military posturing from U.S. forces that are already in the region. U.S. military readiness has been defined since WWII as being able to fight full wars on two fronts simultaneously. Even if you counted Israel as one of those U.S. fronts (and I don't think it even remotely qualifies at this point, and probably still wouldn't even with a full-on Hezbollah assault), the U.S.'s position in the Pacific would be unaffected.

If Xi wants to invade Taiwan, he'd need to distract the Pacific forces with something else pretty major. I'm not sure what that would look like.

Either that, or wait for the Republicans/Trump to return to the White House.
Sadly I think you're right about that. The silence re: China shitting all over the Joint Declaration decades early was deafening. Trump was willing to play economic hardball with them, but he couldn't care less about human rights.

Oh the US supresses its fair share of speech. Just because it doesn't bother with cartoon characters it doesn't mean it isn't obssessed with the flow of information as much as China or Russia
Sure, but it isn't even close to how China (or Russia for that matter) operates. They are on entirely different levels.

Sure, but it isn't even close to how China (or Russia for that matter) operates. They are on entirely different levels.
No, it's worse. Russia and China at least are honest about it. The US pontificates on how it's a beacon of "Freedom" and then secretly, gathers all your data, disappears people, also violates human rights, etc. All major players (I don't think "superpowers" applies anymore) do the exact same thing as the others. It's naive to think that one is better than the other because of x, y or z. So China doesn't let you use google and uses "Social Credit Scores" to limit it's citizens movements. The US doesn't let you use TikTok and uses Financial credit scores to limit every aspect of your life including housing. China uses child labor, that child labor is in Apple and Nike factories, etc. They literally are the same shit, different smell.

Edit: The biggest difference, I think, is China will disappear ANYBODY. Politicians, actors, prominent business people, athletes. While the U.S only focuses on the poor and rabble rousers. With more prominent people they put them in jail and then they magically commit suicide.

No, it's worse. Russia and China at least are honest about it. The US pontificates on how it's a beacon of "Freedom" and then secretly, gathers all your data, disappears people, also violates human rights, etc. All major players (I don't think "superpowers" applies anymore) do the exact same thing as the others. It's naive to think that one is better than the other because of x, y or z. So China doesn't let you use google and uses "Social Credit Scores" to limit it's citizens movements. The US doesn't let you use TikTok and uses Financial credit scores to limit every aspect of your life including housing. China uses child labor, that child labor is in Apple and Nike factories, etc. They literally are the same shit, different smell.

Edit: The biggest difference, I think, is China will disappear ANYBODY. Politicians, actors, prominent business people, athletes. While the U.S only focuses on the poor and rabble rousers. With more prominent people they put them in jail and then they magically commit suicide.
This is an incredibly childish and naive view devoid of any nuance. Yes, the US is bad, but to claim that it is on the same level as Russia and China is beyond absurd.

Let's make it very simple: Can you make fun of the current president without worry of repercussions? This instantly proves that Russia and China are much worse. And I'm not even trying to defend America and its very real problems. I simply severely detest this quasi-normalization and acceptance of Russia's and China's inhuman policies. We can criticize multiple things at once; there is no need to remove any nuance and pretend these three powers are the same. They very clearly aren't.

This is an incredibly childish and naive view devoid of any nuance. Yes, the US is bad, but to claim that it is on the same level as Russia and China is beyond absurd.

Let's make it very simple: Can you make fun of the current president without worry of repercussions? This instantly proves that Russia and China are much worse. And I'm not even trying to defend America and its very real problems. I simply severely detest this quasi-normalization and acceptance of Russia's and China's inhuman policies. We can criticize multiple things at once; there is no need to remove any nuance and pretend these three powers are the same. They very clearly aren't.
The Black Lives Matter folks would like a word...

Back